W/D/W Rig Question

GreatGreen

Power User
If you run a Wet/Dry Wet rig, how do you set your signals? Do you run your dry side 100% dry and your wet sides 100% wet, or do you run your dry signal to all three sides, but only the effects on the Wet channels?

Here's what I do....

On most of my patches, not only am I running W\D\W, but I'm using two different amps as well...one amp to out 1 with stereo fx and cab modelling to a pair of CLRs, and a different amp totally dry with no cab to out 2 which feeds a power amp and 4X12.

So , to answer your question, yes out 1 definitely has some dry amp tone in it, and as a matter of fact, on most of these patches, the out 1 path was really just one of my stereo patches that I added the second amp and fx loop to, to make it W\D\W.

Another thing I usually do is have a little less gainy amp in out 1 with the fx, and a meaner one for the dry....seems to work out pretty well for me anyways. That being said, I am no expert on this, but just messed around with this until it sounded good to me. I'm sure there are other ways to set this up as well, but as in all things tone, i don't think there is any set recipe.

As far as the hardware, I have both the CLRs and the power amp turned up to around noon, and then set the out 1 and out 2 knobs on the Axe front panel low at first, and exactly the same for both knobs. Then I start playing turning them both up to a comfy level to jam, then I edit the fx loop block level in the axe to get the mix of wet and dry just right and save the patch. Then I can just use the knobs on the front to set volume from then on, and as long as I set those to the same setting, the mix stays right where I like it.

Thanks Randy. This should help me once I get my Matrix.

I asked another guy and he said Output 1 goes to powered CLR wedges, just like I have NOW. output 2 goes into the input of the Matrix GT1000 and then out of the matrix OUT into my 4x12 Cabinet.

Are there certain patches people already made in the axe-exchange for W/D/W set ups?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom