VU Meters are the bees knees...

It’s very cool. And the preset level 0 is genius. Great indication of a base level with plenty of headroom for boosts. I actually had set my previous base level about -5dB for fear of clipping so I’ve started to adjust my presets back to 0. Such a small addition with such great value. I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope there will be a VU meter in the new Axe Edit :)

What I like most is that it's making the differences in the gear more readily apparent when you remove that variable. When I ensure the output level is consistent, I'm suddenly noticing the differences in the various components a lot quicker. There are many amps that I haven't taken time to explore (mostly because I've found a few that I love and haven't felt the need), but just jumping through various default presets I was noticing nuances I hadn't before. I know this was possible before, but I hadn't gone to the trouble to setup a system like I know many others have. I love that it's built in, and I also hope hope hope this can be implemented in Axe Edit. I'd love it if it could be right on the front page and remain visible even when you're jumping around to the various component pages.

I use the old Output meters quite a bit to check I still had headroom on my loudest presets - and my ears to check comparative volumes.

Other than being rotated 90 degrees and having a 0 point, is the new VU Meter facility much the same as the old Output meter, or is it the same but different due to the 0 point being added..?
unsure.gif

Apparently, it uses a different relative loudness algorithm to track the level. Output meters I think show peak levels. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

VU meter screen also lets you adjust amp block x and y output levels from the same screen. No need to go back to the edit screen of the amp block. Very handy feature.

Correction: you can adjust output levels for amp blocks 1 and 2. X and Y have to be manually selected back at the amp block edit screen or via MIDI CC's or Scenes.

Last edited:
From the release notes: "Added VU meters to Utility menu. The meters show the relative loudness of the channels. These readouts can be used to help set preset levels to the same apparent volume. For convenience the level of the Amp blocks can be set from this page. Also, the value of the Output Level knobs is displayed in this page for reference (note that this is only for reference and does not affect the VU meters as the measurement is prior to the Output Level potentiometers)."

From a practical standpoint, it allows me to equalize the output levels of all patches before they hit the hardware output potentiometers on the front panel. I don't know that this was possible before, it seems to me you could only use the output LEDs in the past and they weren't as precise. I'm probably missing some important point here, but I know for sure that it's so much easier for me to standardize my volume levels now and I feel it's letting me compare tonal differences much more readily.

The output meters are a huge help for leveling presets, and Love Love LOVE the level indicator for the Front Panel Output Volumes...

Nifty tool, thanks for listening to customer's requests.

I have a fxloop block in my presets to use with a poweramp and cabs. Outputs 1 and 2 have those great ur stereo cabs.
Why is the output one and two so much louder than three /four?

Tx

Jan

I use the old Output meters quite a bit to check I still had headroom on my loudest presets - and my ears to check comparative volumes.

Other than being rotated 90 degrees and having a 0 point, is the new VU Meter facility much the same as the old Output meter, or is it the same but different due to the 0 point being added..?
unsure.gif

I'd used the old meters to make sure nothing was clipping and my ears to check comparative volumes also. Everything seemed balanced with no clipping. I noticed on the new meters that the level of all my presets are hitting about half way between the 0 mark and full up. Turning them down so they hit 0 drops the volume quite a bit. Is it necessary to re-do everything so they it sits at 0 on the new meters?

Is it necessary to re-do everything so they it sits at 0 on the new meters?

I don't see why… the meters are there to give you a convenient way of comparing relative loudness. If the best area for you hovers between 0 and full up, then go with it!

I'm pretty much in the same situation, and am adjusting to about 1/3 between 0 and full for most patches, and halfway between for the ones that should stand out a little more. It's working fine, with no unwanted distortion.

This is a great tool!
I wish the meters would freeze the highest value for a second. Now it is a bit hard to see the highesr peak number, because it changes so quickly.

Ideal Level?

Calling all VU-meter experts …

Is there an “ideal” level or setting for the best performance, headroom, etc.

While checking a few of my presets, I’ve noticed that some of them touch on +10. This leads me to believe that I might be running things a bit too hot.

Any helpful suggests would be greatly appreciated.

Calling all VU-meter experts …

Is there an “ideal” level or setting for the best performance, headroom, etc.

While checking a few of my presets, I’ve noticed that some of them touch on +10. This leads me to believe that I might be running things a bit too hot.

Any helpful suggests would be greatly appreciated.

I read in another thread that the goal is to get the average about 0 (where the line in the meter is). This is not the peak...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at the opposite, out of fear of clipping, most of my presets sat at about -4 – -5dB on the VU meter. It is just a relative value and whatever works. The 0 mark serves as a good indicator of a level that is sufficiently loud but still allow for plenty of headroom for boosts. I’m readjusting my presets now to sit at 0 as a new base level.

When you guys set your levels does the amber "edited" LED light up for you as a reminder to save the preset? Mine does not. Normal or bug?

Back
Top Bottom