Vox tip - quick, simple and fast... damn good too...

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
After doing a lot of research, I stumbled (as I often do) onto the coolest quick 'thing'.

AC30 - initialize block and use "Class A" - NOT the AC30TB block. "Bright" on. Drive, Bass, Mid, Treb, Pres at 5.00 (noon). Master Vol to 9.25.

Change the tonestack type to AC30TB.

Adjust the Low Cut (Amp block, Advanced page) to 100Hz.

Cab to default or use my mix if you own the Red Wire IR's:

(Plug my formula into the MixIR and upload resultant IR syx into your Axe-FX)

Vox 212 Ref Mix4
VoxAC30Blues-SM57-CapEdgeOffAxis-2in.wav,0.85
VoxAC30Silvers-TC30-CapEdge-0in.wav,0.05
VoxAC30Silvers-TC30-Back-12in.wav,0.05
VoxAC30Silvers-TC30-RoomL.wav,0.025
VoxAC30Silvers-TC30-RoomR.wav,0.025

Curl your toes good.

Life is good.

Thanks for the tip Scott I will have to give it a go... My AC30TB presets are wearing on my ears. I think it's time to go through most of my presets and change things up a bit.

Yea - please do try this because it's unbelievably good. So simple, and it just has NONE of the negatives.

What I was doing was a lot of in-depth research into Brian May's rig and found out he uses the normal channel on the AC-30, NOT the TB channel. That surprised me. This little thing - popping the AC30TB tone stack onto the Class A block and rolling up the Low Cut a bit (in the TB model it defaults to a crazy high number and STILL farts out all the time for me) just made it SING, RING and was juicy as all get out.

I'm loving it too much not to blather on about it on the forum.

It's THAT good.

I've always used the Class A for EL-84 VOXY sounds. The AC30 sim doesn't sound right to me.

I'll try the Brit 2x12. Haven't bought all of the RW IR's.

However, I suspect that your settings will be pretty close to what I have (although I might have a hair more gain...)

R

I'm off doing my own thing with non-pedal steel, so other peoples' presets don't usually do much for me. But this one sounds great as-is, and so simple! Thanks, Scott.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe it's the speakers I selected (2x12 blue), but it sounds kinda bass heavy with my strat. Is that the tone you are getting?

Regardless, I haven't tried out changing tone stacks yet, so it's something new to play with. Thanks, Scott, for keeping it interesting!

Scott Peterson said:
What I was doing was a lot of in-depth research into Brian May's rig and found out he uses the normal channel on the AC-30, NOT the TB channel. That surprised me. This little thing - popping the AC30TB tone stack onto the Class A block and rolling up the Low Cut a bit (in the TB model it defaults to a crazy high number and STILL farts out all the time for me) just made it SING, RING and was juicy as all get out.

So creative to use the tonestack w/Bright as a treble booster, and it works, great tip.
Wiki'd.

reclavea said:
High pass?
Yea, I'm wondering the same thing...what parameter in which block are you talking about? So far it sounds really good but I'm wondering about the "high pass" setting because there doesn't seem to be any high pass that can be set to 100hz.
Maybe the "Low Cut"?

Please do try this if you ever do need or want a great Vox sound. It reacts to drive blocks (and real life analog OD) so much better.

Love this tone!!!!!!

Be sure to adjust gain and amp EQ to your taste. It just sounds 'right' to me with the settings mentioned in the OP, with my guitar.

It's good stuff!!

This patch sounds great. I have been having some difficulty coming up with a good AC30 patch and this did it. I wound up pushing the drive up a tad to ~6 and also pushed up the presence. Works nicely with humbuckers as well, my Hamer loves it.

Shane

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading these kind of threads. Scott, thanks for posting the Red Wirez formulas here. There must have been an update or something since I couldn't get my file titles to match up. :?:
The AC30 is just one of those amps that needs to be a staple in my collection so this is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom