Vox AC15cc1 -impulses

aziz

Power User
20171029_152957_preview.jpeg

Hi again!

I'm starting an album project, I've converted my grandfather's house into a makeshift studio for whole november. Naturally the first thing to do is some IRs! Actually, first thing was chopping some firewood to keep the place warm and cozy under the snow, but the 2nd thing!

These are from a Vox AC15cc. I don't remember seeing cc1-impulses anywhere, so here they are. The speaker is of a very nice character, it doesn't stab you in the ear, and combined with my favorite mics, ShureSM7 and Beyerdynamic m201 it's very easy to get pleasing results. This zip has less files than I usually shoot, but they all sound good so I figured why do 100 when 20 works! At the moment my personal favorite is m201_12.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs1h2hj65s15yx8/Vox15cc.zip?dl=0

Hey man, thanks for the IRs! They are great. Real good selection. All useable. Some are great on their own and others are great to mix. I like the way the bass is not too boomy. Nice work!
I already made two mixes in CabLab that are in my User Cabs.

I ended up doing the album tracks with Axe. With sensible settings it's indistinguishable from the real thing, but better since the house doesn't shake down and I can adjust the sound to be crazier than a real amp if (=when) I want to.

I just went through my presets and found that I don't have a decent IR for AC15 sim. Now I do! @aziz I strongly encourage to shoot some room IR's too to make Kramer mixes.

Here's the recipe:
"I`ll find where the cool speakers are and stick one or two mics in the correct place to capture that sound.I use a three-mic technique: a (Shure)SM57,a (Sennheiser)421,and a (Beyer)M160,all in a very tight pattern.Then I pick and choose the tone quality,because each mic is totally different.I combine those together,and then I put a (Neumann)U67 away from the amp to get ambience".

"Eddie showed me his micing technique for Hendrix a couple of times when I worked with him. He always like to combine a Shure SM57, Beyer M160 and a Sennheiser 421 on a single cone (the best sounding one to his ear), centered with all 3 mic's just about touching. Although lately Eddie says he's using a Royer 121 in place of the M160."

"Eddie Kramer did a video several years ago and he specifically laid out that four mic formula; it included the SM57. Whether he used it London I can't say, but to my ears, it worked. Sometimes the English studio engineers used SM58s which give a nice mid-lift to Strats (Robtin Trower still does this reportedly). But no question the M160 and Room mic U67 dominate (at zero db) on the Board; the MD421 on cone at -3db give sit some mid focus, and he blended the SM57 at -10db. If you lost the Sm57 it probably would not change the sound much."

170ms is a bit too short for room stuff, it just sounds like an aggressive gated reverb. The impulses from Celestion had good room IR's though, and in stereo. The room IRs sound so different that the cab doesn't matter too much anymore, so the 4x12" room impulse still blends well with a 1x12" close mic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom