Voodoo Labs Control Switcher via CC vs PC

Genghis

Power User
OK, I've started using an amp with my Axe-FX via 4-cable method (crazy, huh). I picked up a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher to change the channels on my amp and I've got it working at the Program Change level, but I'd like to figure out if I can change channels within a preset using scenes via the MFC101. Here is what I know about it:

Axe-FX Scenes are a single CC that changes values for each scenes
Voodoo Labs Switcher uses 4 different CCs with on/off states for each CC

Can the MFC be setup so that the switches I use for changing scenes on the Axe-FX also will send a different CC on/off message (maybe through another MIDI channel) to the Voodoo Labs Control Switcher? I think I would need to set the state of two CCs on the Voodoo Labs to pull this off. (One sets the overall channel, whereas the second controls the clean/crunch setting on the clean channel)

One Example:
By default the Control Switcher uses CC80 for the control that I use for the Lead/Clean switch, and CC81 for the Clean/Crunch mode of the Clean channel on my amp (6505 Micro Head).
Button for Scenes 1-4 sends CC34 with the correct value on Channel 1 to change my Axe-FX scene to the Axe-FX while simultaneously turning on CC80 on Channel 2 to turn on my lead channel. (CC81 can be ignored as that controls the clean/crunch)
Button for Scene 5 sends CC34 to change my Axe-FX scene, again on Channel 1, while sending CC80 off message to turn off the lead channel and turn on the crunch mode of the clean channel by turning on CC81 set to off state.
Lastly Scenes 6-8 would change scenes on AFX using channel 1, then use channel 2 to turn off lead channel via CC80 off and send a CC80 on value to turn on crunch mode for the clean channel.
And naturally, any stompbox style switches should not affect the Control Switcher, so nothing should be sent by that switch. (So if I step on a drive pedal or flanger, it retains the last channel setting sent.)

I know this is kind of a complicated description, but I'm hoping some MIDI guru can point me in the right direction. The custom MIDI message portion of the MFC manual is a bit vague on how to accomplish the task, but I have a feeling if it is doable it may require that.

Lastly, if this is something that can be done, would MFC-Edit make it easier?

A general use (Axe-FX function = none) IA can send 2 CCs configured normally and up to 5 more via custom message.

Custom messages for the CCs described would appear like this:

Channel 2, CC#80, value 0:
B1 50 00

Channel 2, CC#80, value 127:
B1 50 7F

Channel 2, CC#81, value 0:
B1 51 00

Channel 2, CC#81, value 127:
B1 51 7F

Ahh... that makes sense. Thanks! And thanks for the custom MIDI as well. That will be quite helpful, as I think I'll need to configure one CC for all of my Axe-FX Functionality and leave the custom stuff for the Switcher, if I understand what setting the Axe-FX function to none means.

Now I'll just have to decide if the way I have it now is adequate or if I should do it that way. As of now, channels switch well with the preset change, but I'm always on scene one, whereas it would be really nice to use your tip and be able to call up any of 8 different combos within a given preset with one tap of a button. Definitely sounds like something MFC-Edit would come in handy for.

Any two CCs can be configured as an IA's "c1" and "c2" commands. The custom message is only needed for a third CC and beyond.

You might find that this is fairly easy to configure without an editor. 1 min. to set IAs to "none", maybe 3-4m to configure 1st switch, 1-2m per switch after that with menu system memorized. If using custom messages for CC#81 you wouldn't have to configure those on any lead channel scenes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Bakerman. I had a recording session with some old friends today, so I may try to tackle this tomorrow. Could take me a little while to figure out at first, but I imagine once I get a rhythm going it should go fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom