Volume Rythm and solo

Veloso1978

Inspired
Hi everyone,
I just got a issue about volume and boost to solo...
I use the VU Meter and in the Rythm I’ve got just near the dash like I see in some tutorials and in the boost to solo just pass the dash near 5 dB ...
I’m using the Matrix GT1000FX with Marshall cab using the FX Block...
The question it’s why I have some presets to low using the VU Meter and using the same method in every presets?
Any trick to make every with the same volume?
Thanks

I have found that the VU meter gets you in the ball park but there is no better final tweak than playing at stage volume with your band. This will give you the best in situation test for equalizing volumes amongst presets and especially different amps and cabs. They all respond differently and even project differently (depending on settings) so this method is always my final tweak.

I have found that the VU meter gets you in the ball park but there is no better final tweak than playing at stage volume with your band. This will give you the best in situation test for equalizing volumes amongst presets and especially different amps and cabs. They all respond differently and even project differently (depending on settings) so this method is always my final tweak.
Yes that what happened to me... some good some to low... must tweak with the band.

I thought the VU meter was based on perceived volume?
Either way the more bass heavy your preset is the more bandwidth it’ll use. You’ll then turn it down to hit the dash line than it’ll seem lower in volume because the human ear hears lower frequency worse....

Nope, the perceived volume is the one you measure with your ears and brain.

The axe gives a measurement of the signal level or output, which is roughly close to equal volume.

At louder volumes our ears hear or percieve things differently, so if your patches are sounding level at bedroom levels and you use them at stage volumes you will wonder WTF is going on??!

That's the Fletcher-Munson effect, and honestly, the best way to level your patches is to crank them up at the volume they are meant to be played, and then tweak them with the band after - because we also perceive things differently with more instruments than in isolation.

You'll need some sort of equal loudness contour curve to give percieved volume, which will still be drastically different per person and per patch at different volumes, making it a futile exercise....so it is extremely challenging to get 'percieved volumes' equal in patches looking at just the meter, though it is a good starting point.

Use your ears, it is the best meter :)

Nope, the perceived volume is the one you measure with your ears and brain.

The axe gives a measurement of the signal level or output, which is roughly close to equal volume.

At louder volumes our ears hear or percieve things differently, so if your patches are sounding level at bedroom levels and you use them at stage volumes you will wonder WTF is going on??!

That's the Fletcher-Munson effect, and honestly, the best way to level your patches is to crank them up at the volume they are meant to be played, and then tweak them with the band after - because we also perceive things differently with more instruments than in isolation.

You'll need some sort of equal loudness contour curve to give percieved volume, which will still be drastically different per person and per patch at different volumes, making it a futile exercise....so it is extremely challenging to get 'percieved volumes' equal in patches looking at just the meter, though it is a good starting point.

Use your ears, it is the best meter :)
I just try some things like that and the results are going to my taste... Now are made some improvements in my Rythm and solo... Thanks a lot to everyone for the help.

Sure especially as compression behaviour won't be similar between clean and distorted sounds.

Back
Top Bottom