Volume Pedal question

bjjp2

Power User
I set up a volume block and a pedal to control it. The problem I have is when I switch presets it's defaulting to 0 volume and I have to move the pedal down and then up again to get max volume. So I tried changing the "start" parameter to 100% and that worked except now when I move the pedal to the bottom the volume is maxed again. (Make sense?) Help appreciated?

go into the I/O menu and set initial val to 100% for the ext you are using for volume. now if in the modifier page you set pc offset for on it will always start at 100% after patch change

From your description it wouldn't be related to Init Value, because that's irrelevant once you've sent any value for the CC after powering on, and doesn't work for onboard pedal ports either.

What is your expression pedal connected to?

Is PC RST enabled at the modifier screen (where you can see the dot move as you move pedal)?

It's possible your footcontroller is sending a 0 value on preset changes, or PC RST is enabled with the volume parameter saved at 0.

go into the I/O menu and set initial val to 100% for the ext you are using for volume. now if in the modifier page you set pc offset for on it will always start at 100% after patch change

OK, did these and now when I switch presets it does start at 100%. However, if I then back the pedal off it does nothing, until I go all the way down (heel down) and then if I start up again it goes to zero and starts going up. I'm using a Fractal pedal by the way.

did you reset the start parameter after you changed it? what does the graph show in the modifier page when moving the pedal. how is the pedal connected to the axe? are you using trs cable?

did you reset the start parameter after you changed it? what does the graph show in the modifier page when moving the pedal. how is the pedal connected to the axe? are you using trs cable?

TRS cable. Didn't touch start parameter. Thanks.

What is the other end of the TRS cable plugged into? XP port of MFC-101?

It sounds a beginning value of 0 might be configured. That means the MFC sends 0 at preset change, and won't send any data for the pedal until you move it to 0 and up again. Set it to PDL or OFF instead. See MFC manual section 7.2 for details.

MFC-101, running into XP3. Thanks for all the help. I'll be away from the Axe for a few days. Will try again then.

Wrestling with this again. Tried changing MFC setting to both PDL and and OFF. Behavior is the same. Change preset and value is on max, which is as it should be. But if I want to reduce volume (or gain, or whatever) from there I have to move pedal all the way to heel down and then start it up again at which point it's starting from zero.

View the volume modifier screen on the Axe-FX and repeat what you just described. Does the dot move during the first pedal movement toward heel down?

does the dot in the modifier screen - where you choose the Source - move smoothly/correctly when you use the pedal, as bakerman asked?

View the volume modifier screen on the Axe-FX and repeat what you just described. Does the dot move during the first pedal movement toward heel down?

does the dot in the modifier screen - where you choose the Source - move smoothly/correctly when you use the pedal, as bakerman asked?

Dot is consistent with behavior described i.e. the dot starts at the top, does not move as I move the pedal to heel down. Once I start moving pedal forward again dot goes down to bottom and then starts moving up.

Try this.

1- Turn PC-RST off in the modifier.
2-Move the pedal to toe
position.
3-Save the patch.

You might want to look at the MFC settings again. Your description is consistent with a beginning value of 0 being set for the pedal. PC RST allows the source to take control after a small change (5% I think) so it's probably not related to that.

Each MFC preset can use a pedal's global setting, or override it with something else. That means there are 2 "beginning value" parameters you can access per XP port while on any preset, but only one will have any effect. A guess is you were adjusting the one that didn't apply before, or the wrong XP#.

You might want to look at the MFC settings again. Your description is consistent with a beginning value of 0 being set for the pedal. PC RST allows the source to take control after a small change (5% I think) so it's probably not related to that.

Each MFC preset can use a pedal's global setting, or override it with something else. That means there are 2 "beginning value" parameters you can access per XP port while on any preset, but only one will have any effect. A guess is you were adjusting the one that didn't apply before, or the wrong XP#.

Ok this was it! When I looked on the MFC before I was looking at the wrong XP # (because of of more strangeness that I won't get into now). Thanks to everybody for trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom