Volume pedal front of amp how to

serge20261

Inspired
For years I've been using a volume pedal,instead of my guitar volume knob.ive tried the same procedure on the Axe fx - guitar -input of volume pedal and out - input of Axe,it's very noisy so I abandoned that idea.
I know I can plug my EV-1 into the back of my MFC,what other things should I be doing,do I put a volume block after the cab,this is where I get confused,remembering I want to use it as if I was rolling my guitar knob.
I apologise for all the noob questions,with the help of you guys I'm getting there,last week I was ready to sell the lot,this week I'm really getting a grip on it,I've learnt that cab choice is so important,in sound structure,amongst a few other tricks.Hopefully I will have it all sorted for next week,and actually use it a gig

tell us where in your analog chain did you place it? That will tell use what you need to do. If you were going out from guitar into volume pedal then everything else you can tie your ev1 to the Axe I put volume and save a volume block

tell us where in your analog chain did you place it? That will tell use what you need to do. If you were going out from guitar into volume pedal then everything else you can tie your ev1 to the Axe I put volume and save a volume block
As you said guitar out to volume in -out volume to amp,so that it worked the same as rolling my volume on the guitar

As you said guitar out to volume in -out volume to amp,so that it worked the same as rolling my volume on the guitar

@joecooll probably suggested the best option, VOL block at the very beginning of your signal chain. Like so:
Two-Rock Ambient_zpsfv0cpx90.png

Check out Chris' video also for how to setup an expression pedal:
http://axefxtutorials.com/2012/09/m...-and-mfc-101-how-totutorial-3-different-uses/

For years I've been using a volume pedal,instead of my guitar volume knob.ive tried the same procedure on the Axe fx - guitar -input of volume pedal and out - input of Axe,it's very noisy so I abandoned that idea.
I know I can plug my EV-1 into the back of my MFC,what other things should I be doing,do I put a volume block after the cab,this is where I get confused,remembering I want to use it as if I was rolling my guitar knob.
I apologise for all the noob questions,with the help of you guys I'm getting there,last week I was ready to sell the lot,this week I'm really getting a grip on it,I've learnt that cab choice is so important,in sound structure,amongst a few other tricks.Hopefully I will have it all sorted for next week,and actually use it a gig
I go from guitar to Volume pedal (VPjr) and then to the front input of the AxeFX............I use it like the knob on the guitar as well. I dont have any noise. I did adjust my input of the AxeFX. I am also only going through a mesa 290 and real cabinets.

There will be a difference between using a real volume pedal in front of the afx and controlling a volume block with an exp pedal: in the first case the pedal is changing the impedance and you'll get a high frequency roll-off when you lower your volume, just as it works with the guitar knob. In the latter case you'll just lower your level and your guitar tone will be unaltered. This can be a pro or con depending on what you want to achieve

I just setup the Global Volume to one of my Art's expression pedals. It was painless and quick. I pressed I/O on the front panel, scrolled to Control and changed input volume value to 11, to match my number assigned to my expression pedal and it works flawlessly. This way I eliminate a volume pedal between my Guitar and AXE. Oh and the plus side is what @DLC86 said above ^ (No tone alteration).

Best option is to have exp control control axe input volume that way you don't need to use a volume block

Or tie a modifier to the amp block MV and/or drive controls, maybe input trim to be true to a vol knob on a guitar?

Back
Top Bottom