julindres

Hey guys, I'm currently using a boss fv 500 expression pedal to use as my volume pedal. I use it along with my volume block. The problem is that in the beginning of the pedal there is a pretty big dead spot and then once the volume comes its already pretty loud instead of gradual. In another thread they recommended the fractal vp 1 pedal...From any axe ultra use out there that has one, does the pedal work gradual from the beginning to end with no dead spots? or maybe recommend another pedal...

thanks

how exactly are you connecting and programming the pedal? i use one and it is gradual. TRS cable from the Expression port on the pedal? volume block?

Yes, Its going from the pedal expression to the axe pedal port, using the volume block with it. I tired many settings on the volume block curve but so far there is always a dead spot in the beginning then a big jump on volume as soon as I hit a certain point...then gradual after that

Oh and also I should point out that when I'm at home it sounds gradual but its when I play out at church or a venue and the volume is much louder thats when the dead spot and volume jump is really noticeable

did you calibrate the pedal in the I/O menu? is it set to type "continuous"?

i haven't seen an ultra in a long time, but i believe those options are still there.

Yea I calibrate it every time I'm going to use it...its set to continuous...might be an axe fx ultra thing and not the volume pedal....So far I tried everything but get the same result....In another threat they told me that its most probable dead spot on the pedal, and was recommended the vp fractal volume pedal...thats why I asked if anybody has tried one....just to make sure before I buy it or switch it

you're using a TRS cable right? not a standard instrument cable.

FV500s do have a 'dead spot' at each end of the pedal, but shouldn't be all the way till 1/2. i'm wondering if the volume block is setup correctly. any way that you can take picture of the MODIFIER page for the Volume parameter? it's the screen where you set the Source to Pedal.

Hey guys, I'm currently using a boss fv 500 expression pedal to use as my volume pedal. I use it along with my volume block. The problem is that in the beginning of the pedal there is a pretty big dead spot and then once the volume comes its already pretty loud instead of gradual. In another thread they recommended the fractal vp 1 pedal...From any axe ultra use out there that has one, does the pedal work gradual from the beginning to end with no dead spots? or maybe recommend another pedal...

thanks

Have you checked that that you have set the Boss FV 500 "MINIMUM VOLUME" knob on the side of the pedal to the correct value..?? (I would start with this set to the minmium value position before attempting calibration.

Also the FV500 come in two different impedance versions. The low impedance FV500L, and the high impedance FV500H. Both manuals for these models state you can use them as expression pedals (via the EXP output jack using as quoted in the manual a "connection cable (stereo 1/4” phone ←→ stereo 1/4” phone)"), but I don't know which is the best Model version for using it with the "Pedal" input in your Axe-Fx, or whether both models are fine to use.

Have you checked that that you have set the Boss FV 500 "MINIMUM VOLUME" knob on the side of the pedal to the correct value..??
^^^THIS^^^
I put the knob to zero value.
I have the ultra and the Boss expresison pedal EV5 that works the same as your FV500 (if you use the EXP out with TRS-TRS cable) and works well, but I dont have it attached to a volume block, I configurated in I/O menu and works for all the presets...from memory...in CTRL Page "OUT1 VOLUME>>PEDAL1", in PEDAL Page I set "PEDAL1 TYPE>>Continous", but don't take me 100% seriously, I will check my exact configuration and post it tomorrow my friend

Last edited:
The low impedance FV500L, and the high impedance FV500H. Both manuals for these models state you can use them as expression pedals (via the EXP output jack using as quoted in the manual a "connection cable (stereo 1/4” phone ←→ stereo 1/4” phone)"), but I don't know which is the best Model version for using it with the "Pedal" input in your Axe-Fx, or whether both models are fine to use.
both the L and H pedals are exactly the same when you use the Expression output. it's the analog components that are different.

I use the FV 500L. Cable is a TRS from my Axe II PEDAL that spilts to a "Y" to the FV500L. Use the "input/output" on the back of the pedal. DO NOT use expression jack. I have replaced the pots twice. Due to the low rating on the pots, they don't last very long. Replacements can be purchased at Digikey for about 5 bucks, and are easy to change.

My memory is good, I have the Ultra configurated as stated above. Last night I tested configurations and you're right, the upper portion of the pedal makes no change besides of the calibration, it's a pot thing...I haven't noticed this 'cos I'm very used to this pedal (I hooked this exp pedal to a Zoom G3 during years)and I unconsciously compensate this behaviour.
Here's the reason:
The pot of my Boss EV5 is a 10K linear pot.
With a linear taper pot, you will find that the curve increases slowly from 0 to about 50 percent, then increases rapidly from that point on. Works well with tone controls but in a volume aplication the sweep may be abrupt for most tastes.
Your FV-500 have a dual pot as you can see in 1:24 of this video

The expression portion of you pedal is 10k linear like mine and have the same behaviour.
The good news is that the Volume portion of your dual pot is logarithmic (audio taper) and if you do the Y cable thing that say our folk stratos you can get a better transition for your needs.
Here you have the pot values for the 2 versions of FV500:
FV-500H:
250K LOG- Volume
10K LIN- EXP

FV-500L:
20K LOG- Volume
10K LIN– EXP

Aside this I put here a trick: try to put the minimum volume of the boss to 5,5 and you can use the expression pedal as a boost. The downside is that you lose the silence position, but you can move your sound from behind to the front of the mix in artistic way.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom