Volume pedal before AX8 or as an expression with volume block?

ghost219

Inspired
I've read some things on the fb group about using a volume block is better than using my EV-1 as a volume pedal before the input. Why is this exactly? It has a super smooth taper that's better than any other volume pedal I've used. My line of reasoning is to use it like I would a normal volume pedal like I would an analog setup. What are the pro's and con's to this and why?

If it's the best way to go, does anyone know of a place with decent prices on custom TRS cables? :)

Many thanks, friends.

I just use a regular volume pedal before the input on my AX8 sometimes, and it works fine for me too.
The only thing that immediately comes to mind in favor of using and exp. pedal is the ability to put the volume adjustment anywhere in the chain. Like, after your amp instead of in-front.

I've read some things on the fb group about using a volume block is better than using my EV-1 as a volume pedal before the input. Why is this exactly? It has a super smooth taper that's better than any other volume pedal I've used. My line of reasoning is to use it like I would a normal volume pedal like I would an analog setup. What are the pro's and con's to this and why?

If it's the best way to go, does anyone know of a place with decent prices on custom TRS cables? :)

Many thanks, friends.

Passive volume pedals work like the guitar volume: besides volume it also rolls off some treble.

Some people like that, some hate...
Therefore, I think is a matter of taste.

Besides that the expression pedal you can use anywhere in the chain, so, it is "better" (more versatile), but, some people are really attached to their pedals... :)

If you have a high gain amp/tone and put the volume pedal analog before the AX8, you don't control volume, you control gain (like your guitar volume knob). Most would rather control the volume of the high gain sound without changing the gain of the tone.

This is a great thread as I got my EV-1 yesterday and was using it initially as a volume and noticed it behaved like a guitar volume wheras instead I want it to retain all the growl and treble etc just be a little quieter when required.

Volume block it is for me then!

There is a global volume control function in the AX8 that does not require use of a volume block. You use an expression pedal in one of the pedal inputs and you can assign to input volume , out1 volume, or out2 volume. See page 85 of the AX8 users guide.

There is a global volume control function in the AX8 that does not require use of a volume block. You use an expression pedal in one of the pedal inputs and you can assign to input volume , out1 volume, or out2 volume. See page 85 of the AX8 users guide.

Happy days. I'm guessing once it is configured that way it could not be used as a wah? Ah well I will just have to buy another one :).

Except you lose the ability to put it where you want in the signal chain. I want it after the cab block and before the time based FX. The volume block works best for me. Gotta do those volume swells without cutting off the delay tails.

Last edited:
I could see where an analog volume pedal in the front end would give you something that you couldn't get in the box.

But wow, the flexibility of the modifiers in the box. You can put the level increase on many different types of blocks anywhere in the grid. You can set specific ranges for full up and down, the taper, etc. Ridiculously flexible if you go in the box and use an expression pedal.

Except you lose the ability to put it where you want in the signal chain. I want it after the cab block and before the time based FX. The volume block works best for me. Gotta do those volume swells without cutting off the delay tails.
The other problem is that if you want to use post input and use both OUT1 (FOH) and OUT2 (stage monitor), it will only control one of those.

The other problem is that if you want to use post input and use both OUT1 (FOH) and OUT2 (stage monitor), it will only control one of those.
I think it only makes a difference if your OUT 2 is used for guitar amp. If you're still using the same direct sound to FOH, you should be able to just use your OUT 1 and just using a monitor mix like a PA system is setup. I have XLR splitters set up for my personal powered monitors as they have dual inputs. Each gets a L/R feed direct from my AX8 while the split side goes to FOH where I can get a line sent back with a mix of the band to each monitor.

So the general consensus is to, at least, set up a global volume pedal via the expression jacks to fully utilize the AD/DAC's in the AX8?

Another argument to use it to control a volume block (even if that volume block is the very first block in the AX8 grid) is that the noise gate will work better, because you're not turning the signal going into the AX8 down.

Hi, is it possible to set the range of the pedal on the input volume?

I use both. I have a Ernie Ball VP Jr. in front and a modified Cry Baby as an expression pedal to control non-wha functions like volume blocks, gain parameters, delay times, pitch, and other parameters per patch.

I have always used a volume pedal in front of my amps. I find it easier than using my volume knob as my right hand is usually pretty busy, and I never taught myself to control my tone with the volume on the guitar. The VP Jr. allows me to make all those adjustments with my foot while I am playing and I love swelling my gain, changing gain levels, and performing quick volume starts/stops. I know I can replicate all this functionality within the volume block, but it is a whole lot of programming I don't need to do as it is accomplished organically by haveing the VP in front of the unit.

I use the expression pedal after the cab block for volume swells without changing gain levels, but for all the other functions I mention above, I still rely heavily on my VP Jr.

Back
Top Bottom