Volume pedal and the Axe-Fx III with FCB1010

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up my FCB1010 (with Eureka Prom chip) left expression pedal as a volume pedal on my Axe FX 3. I have the left expression pedal set as ext 1 for the volume block and the right expression pedal set as ext 2 (wah block). The wah works fine but the volume pedal doesn't completely shut off the volume though I can see the volume dial turning as I push the pedal. The crazy thing is that when I had the wah pedal on ext 1, I somehow stumbled onto making the wah and volume work together where the volume would completely turn off but I haven't been able to duplicate that for ext 1 on the volume block.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Party

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up my FCB1010 (with Eureka Prom chip) left expression pedal as a volume pedal on my Axe FX 3. I have the left expression pedal set as ext 1 for the volume block and the right expression pedal set as ext 2 (wah block). The wah works fine but the volume pedal doesn't completely shut off the volume though I can see the volume dial turning as I push the pedal. The crazy thing is that when I had the wah pedal on ext 1, I somehow stumbled onto making the wah and volume work together where the volume would completely turn off but I haven't been able to duplicate that for ext 1 on the volume block.

Party
Do you see the volume on the AXE3 go to 0?
I had 2 FCB1010's and had the same type of issue with both of them when I had the AX8. You can try the calibration procedure in the AXE3. I never could get it to solve the issue for me. It was a problem with the FCB1010 not the AX8. There is also a procedure I found on the web to adjust the optical sensor on the pedal for the FCB1010, but I didn't have any luck with that either. But you can try yourself.

On the ax8, from what I remember, if you set up an expression pedal for volume,it wouldn't go to zero volume. I think the rationale was to minimize service requests because no output. I thought it was a pretty good idea from my personal experiences with trying to figure out why there was low output. There was always the realization that I had the volume block engaged and the pedal back. Just a guess on this one though. But, i completely understood it.

If calibration doesn't help you could probably adjust the modifier response to account for it.

You don't have it set to auto engage, right? Because the default OFF value there is 5%.

Hi Guys,

Thanks some much for the help.

I tested both expression pedals. The volume pedal (left) doesn't go all the way off however the wah (right pedal) does. I already calibrated the pedals but you might be right that it is a calibration issue. I'll try it again.

Auto engage is OFF.

Best,
Party

Can you swap the pedals so the right is the volume and left is the wah? If you still have problems with the volume then the calibration issue is in the AX3. Otherwise it is the FCB1010.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried calibrating the pedals but the lowest number heel down was 14 and it should be <10. So I checked out the link you sent and opened the FCB. I can't believe Behringer released the senors so poorly aligned. I adjusted both of them and now get heel down number of 5 but even with the calibration, the volume will not completely shut off. I tried swapping the pedals but no luck there either.

Calibrating the Axe FX 3 in the I/O screen doesn't work. It looks to me like it will only calibrate with TRS expression pedals.

I'm sure it is something stupid that I'm missing but darned if I can figure it out.

Again, thanks for the help.

For me, on the visual graphic of the scale and offset, the diagonal line with the red dot. The dot goes fully from 0 to 100 but the sound doesnt follow it.

For me, on the visual graphic of the scale and offset, the diagonal line with the red dot. The dot goes fully from 0 to 100 but the sound doesnt follow it.
Then either it's attached to the wrong parameter or the numbers in the modifier menu are off.

My 1010 always has a smidge if volume coming through when the pedal is all the way down. I have not messed with the offsets yet. I compensate via my guitar volume pot if I want it dead silent. I plan on replacing it with the FC-12 and pedal as my long term solution.

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for chiming in with suggestions.

I needed a third expression pedal anyway for a steel guitar that will go into input 3 of the Axe FX3 so I picked one up today. I plugged it in and set the volume block for Pedal 1 and had the same problem, so now I knew it wasn't likely the FCB1010, it had to do with the Axe FX 3.

I found a factory preset with a volume block and tested the new pedal... and it worked correctly! Now I started analyzing the preset I created. This preset uses inputs 1,2 and 3 (1 and 3 have volume blocks) all going to output 1. Earlier I tested the preset by shunting input 3 blocks, but I still had low volume bleed. It wasn't until I deleted one of the blocks for input 3 that the volume pedal worked correctly. I don't know why I would have a bleed with nothing plugged into input 3, but I did.

Anyway, I think the problem is solved.

Thanks again all!

Hi All,

Party

Hola Party Pooper!!
How's everything working for you and your EurekaProm'd 1010?? I just received, unboxed, and installed my III, connected it with my EurekaProm'd 1010, and ........... Went cross-eyed!! I totally blanked out how I integrated the 1010 with the II XL... Can you get me started with the right menu to start assigning pedals? Also, are you MIDI In and OUT'ing with 2 midi cables (I am, or at least, I was..)?

Oddball/stupid question here and maybe slightly off-topic:

On the axfx2 I had a pedal just for Volume which required no volume block in any preset. It came that way natively. How do I do the same thing in the AX.3?

Also where is the calibration for foot pedals in the AX.3? I’ve looked everywhere through the menus and couldn’t find it.

(I am currently using pedal one and pedal two Jack’s directly into the aXFX3)

On the axfx2 I had a pedal just for Volume which required no volume block in any preset. It came that way natively. How do I do the same thing in the AX.3?
Use Output Level in the Output block.

Also where is the calibration for foot pedals in the AX.3? I’ve looked everywhere through the menus and couldn’t find it.
Setup > I/O > Pedal.

Hi Saint Chuck,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
There is good news and there is great news. The good news is that the FCB1010 does work with the Axe FX 3, the great news is that as you start understanding it's operation it becomes very easy.

Many of my problems were just me not understanding this whole digital world and midi. Other problems were with the 1010 but fixable.

I'm not sure where you are in your setup at this point. I assume you installed the chip already. Next thing is to setup the 1010. I found this video helpful:

At timestamp 3:14 you would select FA (Fractal Audio) and NOT 11 as the person in the video shows.

On my FCB1010, I couldn't get at proper sweep. When I opened the unit I had to adjust the LED down. If you look at the plastic piece that the LED is looking at you will see that where the gradation changes, if the LED is not pointed down, you won't catch the change in gradation at least that is how it was on mine. Anyway, pointing it down and not having it level worked for me.

This was posted by bdrepko earlier in this post showing how to do this but I in the last picture I didn't aim the LED directly at the sensor, I had to angle it down a little:
https://el34world.com/Misc/Music/FCB_1.htm

After all this, check out the posting by trancegodz here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fcb1010-iii-channel.137285/#post-1645130

You have to assign all these cc numbers into your AXE FX 3. From there you have to start making adjustments to expression pedal parameters and all. When you get there and need more help let me know.

Thanks PartyPooper! The post by trancegodz was EXCELLENT! I find it curious as to the SEARCH function of this forum.. I've typed in FCB 1010, III, etc. for a few weeks and have never seen that post/thread in the result.. I feel equipped enough now to give it a good try. Would love to find a way for the two midi cable in/out to work, which helps indicate what effects are on/off while changing scenes or presets on stage, but... first things first... Admittedly, MIDI language (CC, PC, offset, etc) makes me feel stupider than I already am!

Back
Top Bottom