Volume / Pan block utilization and standardization

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
Every preset I make uses a Volume/Pan block.

I always put it as soon after the cab as possible and before any other time based effects. I can therefore control the volume of my preset on the fly, including reducing volume to 0, without affecting the tails of reverbs or delays.
I personally find this method extremely usable in a live situation.
Almost every preset I've downloaded on the forum does not make use of the Volume block. I suppose people set their global volume control either to input or output, depending on the use they want to make of it. But for me, the very best place for it is as mentioned above.

I would recommend it to anyone, and would love to se this as a standard practice.

Proposals for preset standardization have to be filed at the Administration for Preset Standardization before December 31st of the year before the next planned meeting of the Board for Preset Standardization. For this purpose form #341 has been made available. The next meeting of the board is in 2013. Please file your request using form 341 before December 31, 2012.

PS. You're using an expression pedal with the Vol block?

Proposals for preset standardization have to be filed at the Administration for Preset Standardization before December 31st of the year before the next planned meeting of the Board for Preset Standardization. For this purpose form #341 has been made available. The next meeting of the board is in 2013. Please file your request using form 341 before December 31, 2012.

PS. You're using an expression pedal with the Vol block?

As a matter of fact, I filled the form #341 before it was made available. The board passed on it last year just before I got my axe FX II and referred it to the supreme regulatory committee for Preset Standardization. it was rejected at the time because I forgot to mention that I was indeed using an expression pedal. Looks like I made the same mistake again :(

I use one up front and one behind. One behind is for solo boosts, one in front is for hit the amp with less gain and for silence. For volume leveling I use the incremental +/-

I suppose after filling out the appropriate forms, you will be ISO certified :)

I use a volume block in every preset as well, but I prefer it very first in the chain. I don't use it to control overall volume (I use the output knob for that :) ), but rather, I use it like the guitar volume. I like having it before the amp because I can clean the amp up by rocking back on the expression pedal. Also, but using this instead of the guitar volume, the volume is decreased after the input gate. I can get super clean and quiet, but still have full signal going into the gate so it doesn't cut out on me like it would if you just lower the guitar volume. I use this all the time to inject dynamics into my playing (along with altered pick attack etc.).

I suppose after filling out the appropriate forms, you will be ISO certified :)

I use a volume block in every preset as well, but I prefer it very first in the chain. I don't use it to control overall volume (I use the output knob for that :) ), but rather, I use it like the guitar volume. I like having it before the amp because I can clean the amp up by rocking back on the expression pedal. Also, but using this instead of the guitar volume, the volume is decreased after the input gate. I can get super clean and quiet, but still have full signal going into the gate so it doesn't cut out on me like it would if you just lower the guitar volume. I use this all the time to inject dynamics into my playing (along with altered pick attack etc.).

Yep, plus you have several vol curves to choose from.

Well time to hit the manual, because I can really use a volume mod for my presets. Have some slow building sections in a few parts live.

Hopefully my Rocktron expression will work. Only has an expression out and an output. Any experience here guyS?

NOTE: I connect my expression pedal to the jack of the Ground Control Pro.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom