• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Volume Issues

jw3571

Inspired
I've been struggling with volume issues on the Axe III. I have a few patches that sound really(50 W & 100w Plexi) good but the problem is they are around 90db, which is just too loud in my basement where I play. I'm using frfr monitors(Presonnus Sceptre 8's that are about 8 feet away from where I play. When I turn the volume down (usually by turning the level down in the amp block)to around 80 db which sounds more comfortable to my ears, the patch sounds crappy. I have a decent understanding of FM but it sounds the opposite to me. When I turn it down the bass seems overpowering and everything sounds muddy. Here are most of the things I try to counter this:

1. Switch cut on in the amp block and lower bass
2. Increase Negative Feedback(this tends to make it more clear)
3. Turn on bright switch in amp block
4. Lower transformer match
5. Increase presence and Dynamic presence
6. Mess with the Eq, lowering bass, increasing miss

This certainly helps but it still sound bassy and the patches still don't sound anything like when it's at 90db. Is there any hope for me for better sounding lower volume patches or do they have to be super loud? I think my tube amp(Marshall JVM1) sounds better for low volume playing which doesn't make sense. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance

chris

Legend!
Level the preset/amp block with the VU meters in the Layout Zoomed our view. Aim for the “middle” line just like on the Axe2 or AX8. Then use the Out 1 knob to adjust the volume as needed.

My presets sound generally good at various volumes without changing anything and I haven’t done anything “advanced” to them at all. So I’m having trouble understanding what may be changing from 90 to 80 dB. Maybe it’s so loud for the room at 90db, you aren’t hearing it correctly and it sounds better due to ear compression.

What happens if you turn down to 60db? What is your setup like after the Axe?

jw3571

Inspired
If I turn it down to 60db it sounds really muddy. The lower the volume the more it sounds like a blanket over the tone. My setup is really is really simple, I just have 2 Presonnus Sceptre 8 monitors. I go directly from the guitar to the Axe.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Why are you turning down the level in the amp block? Why not just turn down the knob on the front panel?

chris

Legend!
If I turn it down to 60db it sounds really muddy. The lower the volume the more it sounds like a blanket over the tone. My setup is really is really simple, I just have 2 Presonnus Sceptre 8 monitors. I go directly from the guitar to the Axe.
What does recorded music sound like at those various volumes?

jw3571

Inspired
I turn down at the amp block because i'm 8 feet away and have my laptop next to me so i can use axe edit. Could that be part of the problem? Also because each stock preset seems to vary in volume.

chris

Legend!
I turn down at the amp block because i'm 8 feet away and have my laptop next to me so i can use axe edit. Could that be part of the problem? Also because each stock preset seems to vary in volume.
We spent hours leveling all the factory presets - they should be relatively close in volume.

What specific parameter are you changing when you adjust the volume? Master volume?

jw3571

Inspired
I don't touch master volume very often, I'm changing the "level" in the amp block. I knew what you're saying with the recorded music, I just haven't done it yet.

jlynnb1

Fractal Fanatic
I don't touch master volume very often, I'm changing the "level" in the amp block. I knew what you're saying with the recorded music, I just haven't done it yet.
turn the volume down on the unit, dropping the level in the amp block that low is crazy

jw3571

Inspired
Ok, so what is that doing when i turn the level down low? I'm just trying to learn. Also, is it better to still do the unit or to turn the monitors down lower?

chris

Legend!
Ok, so what is that doing when i turn the level down low? I'm just trying to learn. Also, is it better to still do the unit or to turn the monitors down lower?
Turning the Amp level down to adjust perceived volume may be altering how some block after the Amp is behaving due to lower level. This is probably not happening here but it could be. Drive in the Cab Block is a classic example of this.

Monitors or Axe Output knob doesn’t really matter unless your gain staging is completely bad, which I doubt is happening as well.

Set the monitors for an average volume that works for all your devices, then use the volume knobs on each device (like the Axe) to adjust your level as needed day to day. That’s why it’s there.

jw3571

Inspired
Ok. I listened to recorded music tonight on the monitors and it does not have the same muffled sound I get with the Axe at lower volumes. It's almost too thin where the Axe sounds too bassy.

chris

Legend!
Ok. I listened to recorded music tonight on the monitors and it does not have the same muffled sound I get with the Axe at lower volumes. It's almost too thin where the Axe sounds too bassy.
Does it change though? You’re saying that it sounds thin at lower volumes but not as you turn up?

A recording of any preset with you playing will still help us compare our judgment of tone with yours.

Top Bottom