Volume / Expression pedals

Icarium

I just ordered my first Axe Fx along with an FC12. I also want to get an expression pedal, but it seems both of the Fractal varieties are out of stock. First, I guess it’s worth asking how often these come back in stock, or if it’s just totally an unknown when these will be available again?

What other expression pedals do you recommend? I will use it mainly for volume, but maybe 5-10% of the time for wah or something else. I’ve used a Helix for the past 4 years and I like pedal on that, but also have used a Crybaby a lot in the past (Mission Engineering seems closest to this).

Boss’s EV-30 looks pretty decent too. Any others worth considering?

Will I be able to change the scaling on any of these between linear or exponential from the Axe Fx, or does that just depend on which pedal I get?

I have a Dunlop DVP3 and Mission SP-2 and like both. I like the size, longer throw and smoothness of the Dunlop for volume and the shorter throw of the Mission for wah and control of other parameters.

In most blocks like volume and wah, there are linear and exponential values to choose from on parameters that are normally controlled with a pedal.

The Mission pedals are good. I’ve used several cheap ones to get by (M-Audio, etc) and they wrk, but nothing like FAS or Mission quality.

Sometimes you can check around the For Sale page here or on TGP and find an EV1 or EV2 for sale. Supply issues have been tying Fractal’s hands lately. I’m sure they’ll be back as soon as it’s possible, but I haven’t heard a definitive date from them.

I have 2 Mission EP-1pedals. I have had them many years. Not at all problems, worked totally fine. Well made and strong.
Usually I use one for volume and one for wah but you can use them in Axe so many ways like changing you delay in real time or
as whammy and change you pitch etc.

Very good pedals and I dare to recommend them for you.

The Mission pedals are good. I’ve used several cheap ones to get by (M-Audio, etc) and they wrk, but nothing like FAS or Mission quality.

Sometimes you can check around the For Sale page here or on TGP and find an EV1 or EV2 for sale. Supply issues have been tying Fractal’s hands lately. I’m sure they’ll be back as soon as it’s possible, but I haven’t heard a definitive date from them.
I bought 3 EV-2s (two for me, 1 for the other guitarist in my band) from Reverb over the last 4-5 months.

I am enjoying having 2 Mission EP-1 spring loaded pedals for Wah and Whammy effects so I can easily use auto engage. Recently switched 2 other EP-1s (non spring) to EV-2s.

For Wah and Whammy, the EP-1 form factor is great.

For things that work better with more fine-grained control (like Volume), the wider sweep of the EV-2 is a great choice, although the EP-1 works fine, too.

20230402_035226.jpg

20230402_030953.jpg

I have 3 EV2 and a Mission wah controller.

Dedicated volume pedal, expression controller, dedicated wah controller, expression controller.

Quite a few presets are using the expression pedal to fade between 2, 3, or even 4 different sounds, along with a button or two.

Lots of possibilities with pedals....

The Boss 500 series is a close second but I haven't found a better expression pedal than the EV1.

I do have a Mission here and they are great too.

My personal taste is that these 3 are at the top of the ladder. I just really enjoy the EV1s.

I have two EV2, which are definitely nicely designed, and two Dunlop (X) Mini pedals which work great too, though they are a bit smaller. I’ve never had problems using either type, even with my big feet.

The Dunlop work great with the FM3+FC6 for travel because they are small and fit into the pocket of the travel bag with room to spare for some XLR cables, two short TRS cables and the IEC cable.

Thanks for all the input!

I think my plan will be to purchase a Mission SP-1 now. I got on the waiting list for an EV-1, so if that becomes available soon I can use it for volume and keep the SP-1 for wah / other expression.

If I just don’t like the SP-1 for volume and it’s going to be a while for the EV-1, I’ll probably go ahead and buy a Boss for volume while I wait.

20230402_035226.jpg

20230402_030953.jpg

I have 3 EV2 and a Mission wah controller.

Dedicated volume pedal, expression controller, dedicated wah controller, expression controller.

Quite a few presets are using the expression pedal to fade between 2, 3, or even 4 different sounds, along with a button or two.

Lots of possibilities with pedals....
Which pedal controls The Dog? 😉

I just ordered my first Axe Fx along with an FC12. I also want to get an expression pedal, but it seems both of the Fractal varieties are out of stock. First, I guess it’s worth asking how often these come back in stock, or if it’s just totally an unknown when these will be available again?

What other expression pedals do you recommend? I will use it mainly for volume, but maybe 5-10% of the time for wah or something else. I’ve used a Helix for the past 4 years and I like pedal on that, but also have used a Crybaby a lot in the past (Mission Engineering seems closest to this).

Boss’s EV-30 looks pretty decent too. Any others worth considering?

Will I be able to change the scaling on any of these between linear or exponential from the Axe Fx, or does that just depend on which pedal I get?
Headrush expression pedal is a great pedal (similar to the big silver Boss pedals) and it has a switch on the toe. So you can use to switch on/off wah like a traditional wah

If you don't cram them too close together, a bigfoot can operate 'em just fine. Jury's still out on saxquatch, tho.... ;)

And here I was waiting for a real Sasquatch to come over and throw that guy into the forest!

To the OP I'm the odd man out around here I use a db Insternents 4E I like the two in one form factor with just a little larger footprint. As to availability the seem to be always out of stock until he gets a large enough batch to to a run. I was lucky and scored mine on Reverb for $200.

Back
Top Bottom