Volume control

Cooldrewb

Inspired
So on an amp it is pretty simple you either turn the volume up or down to get the volume you want on a fractal it is different. So, I'm curious as to what most people do here to get the volume output they want in the fractal because using a fractal you have so many options such as:

1. Turn the knob of the front of the fractal
2. Turn the knob on the FRFR's
3. Turn the volume on the Amp Models
4. Also, you can control output of the amps using the Variac in the models.

I know I'm missing other settings but these are a few I noticed. There is so many ways to control the output I figured I would throw out the question. I have been trying to get a few different tones, one being the "Brown" sound. I have played around with different amps. I know Eddie used Plexi's back in the day with a variac to get that loud sound at a low volume and then of course he started making his own amps. I haven't played with the variac yet in the settings. Anyway, just curious.

First start with the preset level. Look at the output block meters not the led meters on the front of the AFX. You can be in the red but try to stay mid way in the red at your hardest playing. You want it low enough that if you added 3-6 db for a lead boost that it's not pegging red. I think most amp models default at 4.00 for the amps master level, leave that alone. To the right of that you have the mixer level, use this to adjust the amps level. Check your customized preset against Fractals factory presets, try to stay close to those.

Things in the chain behind the amp can add to the output volume of the preset and scenes. For instance adding an empty block side chained will add 6db. Rule of thumb is always check the output block meters to see your output level.

FRFR powered speakers generally have a recommended setting cranked pretty high for the most headroom. Pro PA speakers have no volume knob at all they are just on and wide open, whatever plugs into them adjusts the volume. A Matrix amp sweet spot is between 1 and 2 O'clock.

The AXE FX III front panel output knobs are what you would adjust last.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom