Volume Control on AXE with Atomic CLR Wedge

Mesa770

Hello all, here is one to ponder.......I have a question please. I am having issues with saturation at a louder volume. I am using an AXE FX3 with an Atomic CLR Wedge. I tend to keep the Axe volume at 1/4 on the unit, and turn the input volume on the Atomic around half and the Master up to what I need. I am playing with a rather loud drummer and I need to get above his level. I also need some head room, which I have with the volume pedal and the Volume block in the Axe. I am noticing at louder levels, that my distortions are much more saturated as well as my phase and chorus being like I turned the mix up on them. Any suggestions on what volumes I put the three different settings for live playing...I also tend to keep my guitar volume almost full....thanks much....Rich

Master Volume should be left constant. Adjust for desired virtual power amp distortion. See manual for details.

Hi mate, I have a CLR as well, and this is how I set mine up:

1. Axe FX output knob is set to that my ideal 'gig level' is at 1 o'clock (I,e just past straight up)
  2. I then turn it up a little higher to just past 3 o'clock (about 3/4 full on) and adjust the input gain on my CLR so that the clip light doesn't come on at that level. I don't touch the input gain on my CLR from that point on and have marked it with a little tape on the back of the CLR, so I can quickly put it to the right spot after transporting to the gig.
  3. On the back of my CLR, I have also put a little strip to show what my 'ideal' master volume is for the CLR, from experience of previous gigs. When I get to the gig, I also check this is where it should be set
  4. From here on, for home use, I just turn the output knob on my Axe FX down to a sensible level. For gig use, I know that 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock on that knob will be about right for most gigs, but if I need to go louder (usually the keyboard player and his random volume jumps between songs - but that's another story), I have headroom up to 3 o'clock on the output knob.

As far as things sounding too distorted - you generally want LESS gain the louder you play or it will just sound mushy at volume.

Hope that helps!

No, Master Volume in the amp block.
No, Master Volume in the amp block.
Thanks...Yes, I do that ....my only variables are the front volume on the FX3, my guitar, and Master on the CLR Speaker.....
Hi mate, I have a CLR as well, and this is how I set mine up:

1. Axe FX output knob is set to that my ideal 'gig level' is at 1 o'clock (I,e just past straight up)
  2. I then turn it up a little higher to just past 3 o'clock (about 3/4 full on) and adjust the input gain on my CLR so that the clip light doesn't come on at that level. I don't touch the input gain on my CLR from that point on and have marked it with a little tape on the back of the CLR, so I can quickly put it to the right spot after transporting to the gig.
  3. On the back of my CLR, I have also put a little strip to show what my 'ideal' master volume is for the CLR, from experience of previous gigs. When I get to the gig, I also check this is where it should be set
  4. From here on, for home use, I just turn the output knob on my Axe FX down to a sensible level. For gig use, I know that 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock on that knob will be about right for most gigs, but if I need to go louder (usually the keyboard player and his random volume jumps between songs - but that's another story), I have headroom up to 3 o'clock on the output knob.

As far as things sounding too distorted - you generally want LESS gain the louder you play or it will just sound mushy at volume.

Hope that helps!
Thank so much....This is exactly what I was looking for....I greatly appreciate the help.....Rich

Thanks...Yes, I do that ....my only variables are the front volume on the FX3, my guitar, and Master on the CLR Speaker.....

Thank so much....This is exactly what I was looking for....I greatly appreciate the help.....Rich

my pleasure. Been gigging this way for years with the CLR and it works great. Also, what Warlock said, dial in at gig volumes is a must. Happy twanging!

Back
Top Bottom