Volume Blk Volume Tapers?

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
So I have looked around and have found no info on the various volume taper options we have in the volume block. Any one out can shed some light on the differences? Also there is mention in the the wiki about using the volume blk like a noise gate but the link is dead. Anyone know anything about that?

I use the Log 10A taper on my volume block (which in my signal chain is after the cabinet block) because it sounds and feels the most natural to me.

The taper refers to the value of the volume pot used in different volume pedals out there. Different tapers will 'volume up/down' differently due to their taper. The logarithmic nature of how pots are tapered is due to human perception; it sounds more natural than the linear taper (which logically would 'seem' on paper to be more 'natural' but NOT so in real life).

I saw that wiki page already. Thanks for posting it though. Just a tad over the top for me but it did give me some ideas

I saw that wiki page already. Thanks for posting it though. Just a tad over the top for me but it did give me some ideas

From that wiki page, I would guess the "A" is for audio taper, i.e. log. LINEAR is well... linear :)

It amounts to how the control, in this case volume, range affects the parameter. In all cases off is off and full up is full up. In between, the effect will "fall off" quicker or not based on the type.

The number is the percentage at the halfway point. I.e. Log 20A means that the resistance is 20% at the halfway point in the travel. So if you put the knob at noon, the volume would be 20% of maximum (about -14 dB).

Back
Top Bottom