Volume and tone knobs....?

80% on 10/10, 20% using volume knob. Almost never turn guitar tone off of 10. Have some vintage amp presets that handle roll backs pretty well, and use those on certain songs. I also use the knob to tweak tone and feel live just depending on the performance dynamics and stage mix at the moment.

Come to think of it, when I started out my first amp was a Fender Twin Reverb. That only does clean. But takes pedals very well. So I quickly got in the habit of using dirt boxes for dirt and not my volume pot. Maybe if my first amp had been a single channel Marshall my guitar playing habits would have developed differently.
Very similar here too.
BUT, now that there's an axe, and we have access to that modelled little old tweed amp at any volume we want...well, the war is over.
If you like Larry Carlton or Jeff Beck or Eddie Van Halen....playing with the guitar volume knob is the name of the game.

You're using JB as an example so I'll assume you're building an overdriven, slightly dirty preset. So, build the preset based on the highest amount of OD you would need with your guitar vol at 10. Then roll off the volume and check how it sounds cleaned up. Go back and forth between full vol and rolled off until your tweaking is satisfying.

Back
Top Bottom