Vol level question/help

msmith886

Inspired
I am finally figuring out the AX8 slowly but noticed last night when I was playing a show the volume levels changed a lot on each preset.

Is there a way to make all volume levels consistent when I change presets ?

I am finally figuring out the AX8 slowly but noticed last night when I was playing a show the volume levels changed a lot on each preset.

Is there a way to make all volume levels consistent when I change presets ?

Are you using factory presets or your own?

A common practice is to use the VU meters (under SETUP->Utility) and adjust the amp level in each preset until they all sound roughly the same volume.

I am using one's I downloaded off the preset exchange forum. I just noticed the master, levels and some things change. Some of the presets were perfect but some felt very low in Volume and almost needed to get my boost pedal out from my other rig

I am using one's I downloaded off the preset exchange forum. I just noticed the master, levels and some things change. Some of the presets were perfect but some felt very low in Volume and almost needed to get my boost pedal out from my other rig

Ah okay. So yeah, be sure to test all presets before the gig, especially those that you've downloaded. If a particular preset seems too low or too high in volume, adjust the amp level until it sounds about the same compared to the other presets you're using. Switch between presets during this process to get a good feel.

People make their presets at all different volume levels; it depends on our guitars, our particular rigs and playing styles, etc. There is a "baseline" that could roughly be followed: the 0dB mark on the VU meters I mentioned.

Thanks. Yeah it's been strange I am not using my real amp anymore and just going direct since I got the ax8. Found myself constantley having to adjust things a lot. Really trying to just not have to touch anything and it just always be set for when we play.

Thanks. Yeah it's been strange I am not using my real amp anymore and just going direct since I got the ax8. Found myself constantley having to adjust things a lot. Really trying to just not have to touch anything and it just always be set for when we play.

What I do is use the same amp model and cab model in every preset. If I was doing pop/rock covers I'd probably have one or two additional amp models to cover all the bases, but that would be it.

In AX8-Edit, there is a "Block Library" feature where you can save the settings on a block and load them into other presets. I use that extensively, as well as preset templates. All of that goes a long way to reducing the need to tweak and adjust volumes.

I use a wide variety of amp and cab models. Just adjust the output level in the amp block while on the VU meter page. If you make your adjustments at home, do it at gig volume and fine tune it in rehearsal.

Cleans tend to cut a little better than distorted tones so make you grainy presets a little louder. Also, depending on the style of music you play don't scoop the mids. Scooped mids = lost in mix.

I remember Scott Peterson using a decibel meter. You can get a phone app--might be a good way to even out the final levels.

Back
Top Bottom