VOL block balance knob - working as intended?

6stringscott

Inspired
Axe-FX II XL, FW Quantum 10.01. Connected using XLR cables from Out1 balanced L and R to a pair of Atomic CLRs. Volume block last in chain, only one row connects through to last column.

Balance knob set either +100 or -100, and sound still comes out of both speakers! I would have expected dead silence from one of the speakers in either position. Is there something conceptually I'm missing, some oversight in a setting that overrules this, or ???

VOL_block_balance_issue.png

Note in the screenshot here I have pan left and right both set to -100 just to see if there is some weird interaction, but I would have expected L and R pan settings to just control the stereo placement of each of the 2 mono inputs forming the stereo input. So those settings should be immaterial to the problem of the balance knob still leaking sound to a speaker when balance is+/-100.

Also note: this unexpected behavior also happens with Mixer block when I tried to substitute that (thinking maybe there was a bug in the VOL block). There are no external mixers or cable splitting or other weirdness that I can perceive that would have a bearing on this issue.

Any ideas or feedback from others would be much appreciated.

Axe-FX II XL, FW Quantum 10.01. Connected using XLR cables from Out1 balanced L and R to a pair of Atomic CLRs. Volume block last in chain, only one row connects through to last column.

Balance knob set either +100 or -100, and sound still comes out of both speakers! I would have expected dead silence from one of the speakers in either position. Is there something conceptually I'm missing, some oversight in a setting that overrules this, or ???

Note in the screenshot here I have pan left and right both set to -100 just to see if there is some weird interaction, but I would have expected L and R pan settings to just control the stereo placement of each of the 2 mono inputs forming the stereo input. So those settings should be immaterial to the problem of the balance knob still leaking sound to a speaker when balance is+/-100.

Also note: this unexpected behavior also happens with Mixer block when I tried to substitute that (thinking maybe there was a bug in the VOL block). There are no external mixers or cable splitting or other weirdness that I can perceive that would have a bearing on this issue.

Is the output mode in the I/O section set to stereo?

the balance control works correctly for me. check your Output settings in I/O for Stereo output.

Let me know if you get it sorted because I've had this issue listed above even with just a blank shunt test preset "stereo" template I used to get the feel for stereo panning and realized the same thing. I'll have to do some more digging and report back either way I'm sure it's some goofy user error in my case

Yep just tested it! A blank preset with just a shunt only gives signal to one side and if I put in a vol block, the "pan right" control doesn't seem to do anything but only the "pan left" control seems to do all the panning. The balance knob works the same as how the pan left control is working. The pan right doesn't give me sound out either side, panned either direction. If I put a stereo cab in front of vol block, everything works fine. Weird

Yep just tested it! A blank preset with just a shunt only gives signal to one side and if I put in a vol block, the "pan right" control doesn't seem to do anything but only the "pan left" control seems to do all the panning. The balance knob works the same as how the pan left control is working. The pan right doesn't give me sound out either side, panned either direction. If I put a stereo cab in front of vol block, everything works fine. Weird
That means your input is configured incorrectly. It should be Left Only. You've got it set to Stereo.

That means your input is configured incorrectly. It should be Left Only. You've got it set to Stereo.
Pretty sure the input says "front analog/left" already but I'll check after work today and see!! Is that the right input in IO you're referring to?

Hey gang, sorry for my delayed reply and thank you all for a speedy and accurate response! Under the I/O menu I did have Out1 and Out2 set to L+R SUM instead of Stereo. As soon as I set to Stereo, this made the behavior as I expected it. I think I had changed this at some point when going mono for gigs last year. I haven't been doing anything musical for a long while now, just picking it up again, and managed to forget these details.

Thanks again for your help :)

As time passes, I find it easier and easier to get glory tone out of this box with minimal tweaking! Thanks Cliff for your ongoing pursuit of excellence and staying engaged with your customers' experience.

Back
Top Bottom