Voes MC-5Jr + FM3 = Awesome!

Sitting here waiting for my FC6 to arrive and I had the urge to try out my old trusty MC-5Jr with the FM3 - boy, oh boy am I glad I did!!

It works seamlessly (much like it did with my old AX8!!) - with the FC6 as well its going to be quite the control center for both the FM3 as a direct solution and also for switching amp (via Midi Switcher) when I'm using the FM3 in 4CM.

So far I have the MC-5Jr as a scenes selector (1-4) and then use Button 5 as a Filter Engager (via CC) and also via another CC message to switch on the solo boost on my amp - this means that button 5 is essentially a dual purpose for Boosting purposes depending what I'm doing direct/4CM-wise (the filter is set to boost +4db on the Outs)

Also set the other 4 buttons to turn off the solo boost/Filter when they are pressed (and turn off the LED on button 5!!)

This little MC-5Jr is a great bit of kit and no doubt whatsoever that the newer updated models are better again, but this little unit has done 100's of gigs (remember them!!) has never ever missed a beat and has essentially IMO opened out the possibilities of the FM3+FC6 to even higher heights!!

No Affiliation with Voes btw, just shouting out a really great product!!

Sitting here waiting for my FC6 to arrive and I had the urge to try out my old trusty MC-5Jr with the FM3 - boy, oh boy am I glad I did!!

It works seamlessly (much like it did with my old AX8!!) - with the FC6 as well its going to be quite the control center for both the FM3 as a direct solution and also for switching amp (via Midi Switcher) when I'm using the FM3 in 4CM.

So far I have the MC-5Jr as a scenes selector (1-4) and then use Button 5 as a Filter Engager (via CC) and also via another CC message to switch on the solo boost on my amp - this means that button 5 is essentially a dual purpose for Boosting purposes depending what I'm doing direct/4CM-wise (the filter is set to boost +4db on the Outs)

Also set the other 4 buttons to turn off the solo boost/Filter when they are pressed (and turn off the LED on button 5!!)

This little MC-5Jr is a great bit of kit and no doubt whatsoever that the newer updated models are better again, but this little unit has done 100's of gigs (remember them!!) has never ever missed a beat and has essentially IMO opened out the possibilities of the FM3+FC6 to even higher heights!!

No Affiliation with Voes btw, just shouting out a really great product!!
Thanks for the nice words! Really appreciate this.

Btw, this is my current setup. FM3 + MX-5 and SW-1 + Mission Engineering SP-1 (wah) + Roland EV-5 (volume).

FM3 buttons control Pitch (mostly configured as detune-chorus) / Phaser - Drive / Drive channel - Delay / Delay channel

MX-5 controls on Page A (scene page)
btn 1-4 normal press: scene 1-4 (which are 4 different AMP+CAB scenes)
btn 1-4 long press: scene 5-8 (variations on scene 1-4)
btn 5 normal press: tempo
btn 5 long press: tuner

SW-1 switches from Page A (scene page) to Page B (preset page).
In Page B btn 1-5 are my 5 master presets (remember all presets have 4 different AMP+CAB scenes).
Once a preset is selected, the MX goes back to Page A (scene page).

Notice that the MX-5 has exactly the same space between buttons as the AX8 FX8 FM3.

MX-5 & FM3.jpg

Do you know what @voes I've never used Page 2!!! as I've never got my head around paging up and back down with holds!!

So could I have access to scenes 5-8 on Page 2 and still use button 5 as a Solo switch with hold to get between pages?

Assuming here CMD1 is where I need to make the page command, but how do I assign just that function to hold?

Do you know what @voes I've never used Page 2!!! as I've never got my head around paging up and back down with holds!!

So could I have access to scenes 5-8 on Page 2 and still use button 5 as a Solo switch with hold to get between pages?

Assuming here CMD1 is where I need to make the page command, but how do I assign just that function to hold?

First to be clear, because the terminology between MC and MX is different and might be confusing.
In the MC-5jr a page indicates a normal press (page 1) or long press (page 2).
In the MX these are actually 2 pages. Each page has for each button a normal press and a long press.

Back to your question on the MC-5jr.
In Page 2 program button 6-9 as scene 5-8
Clipboard01.jpg

Then on Page 1 you decide how normal press and press-and-hold act. In this situation you should use between momentary (see button 1) and hold (see button 2)

Clipboard02.jpg

The difference between momentary and hold is the way the button acts after the second press.
momentary:
press 1: scene 1 (green)
press-hold 1: scene 5 (red)
press 1: scene 1 (green) you go back to normal press

hold:
press 1: scene 1 (green)
press-hold 1: scene 5 (red)
press 1: scene 5 (red) you stay on press-and-hold
to go back to scene1 (green), you press-hold button 1

It looks complicated, but it isn't. Just try both types and see what works for you.

Btw, this is my current setup. FM3 + MX-5 and SW-1 + Mission Engineering SP-1 (wah) + Roland EV-5 (volume).

FM3 buttons control Pitch (mostly configured as detune-chorus) / Phaser - Drive / Drive channel - Delay / Delay channel

In Page B btn 1-5 are my 5 master presets (remember all presets have 4 different AMP+CAB scenes).

Notice that the MX-5 has exactly the same space between buttons as the AX8 FX8 FM3.

View attachment 78562
Hey @voes, if you have a moment, I'd be curious to get some insight about the MX midi controllers after seeing this post. I recently got an FM3 and was trying to reuse an old midi controller I had that has a lot of limitations, and the setup in your post here is pretty close to what I'm hoping to achieve (basically, having scenes 4-8 available with a single press for whatever preset I'm on at the moment.)

Do the MX units connect to the FM3 via midi in/out? Or do they connect with the FASLINK port (or both?) I ask as I notice on your pricing page you have the "VF-Cable" which mentions the FM3 and the FASLINK.

Let's say I had an MX-5, just unboxed it. What steps would I have to take between the midi editor for the MX-5, and the FM3? What menu settings would need to be set on the FM3 to achieve the above?

In my current experimenting (with my old midi controller not designed for this purpose,) I have four switches that have both fixed CC#s (20,21,22,23) and they only transmit binary data values of 0 & 127. In SETUP -> MIDI/Remote -> OTHER, there is a field for "Scene Select." I can have it learn one of my current switches, or manually enter 20-23. The end result is that that switch can only access scenes 1 and 8 (because of the values 0 and 127 that it is limited to by default.) What I currently do not understand is that, given that "Scene Select" can only be set as a single CC# in the menu, how do you achieve having multiple switches assigned to specific scenes?

Appreciate any insight you have to offer - would be potentially interested in buying some Voes equipment in the future. Thanks!

Hey @voes, if you have a moment, I'd be curious to get some insight about the MX midi controllers after seeing this post. I recently got an FM3 and was trying to reuse an old midi controller I had that has a lot of limitations, and the setup in your post here is pretty close to what I'm hoping to achieve (basically, having scenes 4-8 available with a single press for whatever preset I'm on at the moment.)

Do the MX units connect to the FM3 via midi in/out? Or do they connect with the FASLINK port (or both?) I ask as I notice on your pricing page you have the "VF-Cable" which mentions the FM3 and the FASLINK.

Let's say I had an MX-5, just unboxed it. What steps would I have to take between the midi editor for the MX-5, and the FM3? What menu settings would need to be set on the FM3 to achieve the above?

In my current experimenting (with my old midi controller not designed for this purpose,) I have four switches that have both fixed CC#s (20,21,22,23) and they only transmit binary data values of 0 & 127. In SETUP -> MIDI/Remote -> OTHER, there is a field for "Scene Select." I can have it learn one of my current switches, or manually enter 20-23. The end result is that that switch can only access scenes 1 and 8 (because of the values 0 and 127 that it is limited to by default.) What I currently do not understand is that, given that "Scene Select" can only be set as a single CC# in the menu, how do you achieve having multiple switches assigned to specific scenes?

Appreciate any insight you have to offer - would be potentially interested in buying some Voes equipment in the future. Thanks!

You need at least one normal 5-pin midi cable connected from MX Midi Out to Axe-Fx III/FM3/FM9 Midi In.
If you want to sync data from the FM3, you need an additional normal 5-pin Midi Cable. This will give you preset name, tempo light, tuner info, active scene, FX block on/off status, FX block selected channel, ....

In case of the MX-5, the enclosure is made as compact as possible and there's only a Midi Out. However you can achieve sync communication using the M-Box.
MX-5SB & SW-2x & FM3.jpg

About the Faslink Power Cable and VF-Cable.

The MX-5, MX-6 and MX-9 have no V-link connector and can only use the Faslink Power Cable.
Faslink Power Cable Photo.jpg
The Faslink Power cable will only provide power from the Axe-Fx III/ FM3 Faslink connector. You still need 1 or 2 Midi Cables.

The bigger models MX-12 and MX-18 have a V-link. Which can be used with either a Ethercon cable + V-Box or the VF-Cable, which is specially made for the FM3. With this one cable you have both Power and 2x Midi connected between MX and FM3.

The MX will work out of the box with 5x Preset Change and bank up/down (button 4/5 long press).
Your ideal setup (8 scenes) are one of the templates. In just 3 steps you have programmed the MX using Easy Setup.
1. select your MX device (MX-5)
Clipboard01.jpg

2. Select your connected device (FM3)
Clipboard02.jpg

3. Select your template (8 scenes)
Clipboard04.jpg

That's it. you have now 8 scenes and additional tempo and tuner.
Clipboard06.jpg

Of course you can now edit all button settings (commands, LEDs) if you want.
You can download the editor and try it yourself and see how easy it is to use.

We have special commands "Scene/Snapshot" and "AFX3/FM3 Scene" to achieve this.
"Scene/Snapshot" works without syncing data, which is probably preferred in your situation. Your FM3 needs to be set to CC# 34. The MX will handle the correct value to select the correct scene.

"AFX3/FM3 Scene" needs 2 Midi cables to sync data (scene name, ...). This works with sysex commands, not with CC numbers.

Beside those both commands we also have the commands "Scene/Snapshot Up", "Scene/Snapshot Down", "Scene/Snapshot A/B" and "AFX3/FM3 Scene A/B".

More info on voes.be

You need at least one normal 5-pin midi cable connected from MX Midi Out to Axe-Fx III/FM3/FM9 Midi In.
If you want to sync data from the FM3, you need an additional normal 5-pin Midi Cable. This will give you preset name, tempo light, tuner info, active scene, FX block on/off status, FX block selected channel, ....

In case of the MX-5, the enclosure is made as compact as possible and there's only a Midi Out. However you can achieve sync communication using the M-Box.
View attachment 102708

About the Faslink Power Cable and VF-Cable.

The MX-5, MX-6 and MX-9 have no V-link connector and can only use the Faslink Power Cable.
View attachment 102722
The Faslink Power cable will only provide power from the Axe-Fx III/ FM3 Faslink connector. You still need 1 or 2 Midi Cables.

The bigger models MX-12 and MX-18 have a V-link. Which can be used with either a Ethercon cable + V-Box or the VF-Cable, which is specially made for the FM3. With this one cable you have both Power and 2x Midi connected between MX and FM3.

The MX will work out of the box with 5x Preset Change and bank up/down (button 4/5 long press).
Your ideal setup (8 scenes) are one of the templates. In just 3 steps you have programmed the MX using Easy Setup.
1. select your MX device (MX-5)
View attachment 102723

2. Select your connected device (FM3)
View attachment 102724

3. Select your template (8 scenes)
View attachment 102725

That's it. you have now 8 scenes and additional tempo and tuner.
View attachment 102726

Of course you can now edit all button settings (commands, LEDs) if you want.
You can download the editor and try it yourself and see how easy it is to use.

We have special commands "Scene/Snapshot" and "AFX3/FM3 Scene" to achieve this.
"Scene/Snapshot" works without syncing data, which is probably preferred in your situation. Your FM3 needs to be set to CC# 34. The MX will handle the correct value to select the correct scene.

"AFX3/FM3 Scene" needs 2 Midi cables to sync data (scene name, ...). This works with sysex commands, not with CC numbers.

Beside those both commands we also have the commands "Scene/Snapshot Up", "Scene/Snapshot Down", "Scene/Snapshot A/B" and "AFX3/FM3 Scene A/B".

More info on voes.be

Thanks so much for all this info, this basically answered every question I had about how all the routing/logistics work. I've got a few more specific questions based on this info:

"If you want to sync data from the FM3, you need an additional normal 5-pin Midi Cable. This will give you preset name, tempo light, tuner info, active scene, FX block on/off status, FX block selected channel, ...."

I'm curious how the MX-5 provides feedback with & without the M-Box as a go-between. I would assume "preset name" isn't much of a factor either way because there's no screen/display on the unit. Or is it that that communication is with the application above? Tempo light - I'm assuming that the LED blinks in time with the box, but doesn't without (but still operates as it should nonetheless?) Tuner info - LED light turns from red to green with M-Box, doesn't without? Active scene - is it that the LED correlating to the active scene is the only one lit when in that mode? How would it display without the M-Box, all lights always on or display like on/off when pressed (same goes for FX On/Off status - are all the LEDs just perpetually on?) Block selected channel - is it that the channels have custom colors, like ABCD being like RGBY to reflect current status?

RE: power supply, I notice on the site on pricing it says Shipping + Power Supply not included, though on the page there is only a listing for the VF-Cable, and not for the Faslink -> Power Supply cable (the one without the midi attachment) that you have pictured above. Is that something that you also sell separately, or with the MX units?

RE: my ideal programmed setup, I think it would be something like this: the FM3 onboard buttons function as Scenes 1-3, Page A of the MX-5 would be scenes 4/5/6/7/8, and then Page B would be something like various effects on/off or channel changes. It seems like from the application it would be easy enough to program this setup.

One last question on function: could you set the commands on Page B to be External Controllers? So, having Page A being all scene selects, and then Page B being things like a Bright Switch on an amp on/off? Would this simply be a matter of setting Custom CC#s for the switches on Page B & then inputting those into the FM3 in the External menu settings?

Again thanks for all the time and info! The MX-5 is looking like a pretty nice alternative to getting a FC-6!

Thanks so much for all this info, this basically answered every question I had about how all the routing/logistics work. I've got a few more specific questions based on this info:

"If you want to sync data from the FM3, you need an additional normal 5-pin Midi Cable. This will give you preset name, tempo light, tuner info, active scene, FX block on/off status, FX block selected channel, ...."

I'm curious how the MX-5 provides feedback with & without the M-Box as a go-between. I would assume "preset name" isn't much of a factor either way because there's no screen/display on the unit. Or is it that that communication is with the application above? Tempo light - I'm assuming that the LED blinks in time with the box, but doesn't without (but still operates as it should nonetheless?) Tuner info - LED light turns from red to green with M-Box, doesn't without? Active scene - is it that the LED correlating to the active scene is the only one lit when in that mode? How would it display without the M-Box, all lights always on or display like on/off when pressed (same goes for FX On/Off status - are all the LEDs just perpetually on?) Block selected channel - is it that the channels have custom colors, like ABCD being like RGBY to reflect current status?

RE: power supply, I notice on the site on pricing it says Shipping + Power Supply not included, though on the page there is only a listing for the VF-Cable, and not for the Faslink -> Power Supply cable (the one without the midi attachment) that you have pictured above. Is that something that you also sell separately, or with the MX units?

RE: my ideal programmed setup, I think it would be something like this: the FM3 onboard buttons function as Scenes 1-3, Page A of the MX-5 would be scenes 4/5/6/7/8, and then Page B would be something like various effects on/off or channel changes. It seems like from the application it would be easy enough to program this setup.

One last question on function: could you set the commands on Page B to be External Controllers? So, having Page A being all scene selects, and then Page B being things like a Bright Switch on an amp on/off? Would this simply be a matter of setting Custom CC#s for the switches on Page B & then inputting those into the FM3 in the External menu settings?

Again thanks for all the time and info! The MX-5 is looking like a pretty nice alternative to getting a FC-6!
As you stated, preset and scene name and tuner info are irrelevant on the MX-5 (no LCD). In case of the FM3, tempo light is not necessary since you can see the tempo light blinking on the FM3.
In a MX5/FM3 combination, if you want to control only presets, scenes, tempo, tuner there is no really benefit of synced data and you would only need one regular 5-pin Midi Cable and no M-Box. However if you want to control FX Block On/Off, FX Block Channel you need to be aware that without syncing, the FX status on the MX might be different than the actual FX status on the FM3. In that case I would recommend a M-Box.

How would it display without the M-Box, all lights always on or display like on/off when pressed (same goes for FX On/Off status - are all the LEDs just perpetually on?)
LED will display on/off when pressed.

Block selected channel - is it that the channels have custom colors, like ABCD being like RGBY to reflect current status?
You can set any of the seven colors you like for each button. The LED color is independent of the Command type.
An exception on that rule, is the command "AFX3/FM3 -Channel - NXT", then the colors are set to
Channel A - Red
Channel B - Green
Channel C - Blue
Channel D - Purple
On each button press the Channel and LED will change. When synced with the FM3 the correct LED color of the active Channel will be shown.

Clipboard01.jpg

The Faslink power cable is sold separately. I suggest to fill in the form on the website to get the latest prices for your desired MX device, accessories and shipping.

Yes it is. It is a complete open system, all buttons can be programmed to do anything you want.
Keep in mind that you need a way to change to Page B. This can be done in 3 ways:
1. You use one button of the MX-5 (this can be normal press or long press). So in your example you could have buttons 1-5 act as scene 4-8 and button 5 long press to change to page B.
Clipboard01.jpg

2. You use the SW-2x which have 2 external buttons to change pages. In that case you can't use the external input with an expression pedal, because the MX-5, MX-6 and MX-9 have only one external input (the MX-12/MX-18 have three external inputs).
Clipboard01.jpg
You also have 4 extra buttons with the SW-2x (2x normal press and long press)
Clipboard01.jpg

3. You can program a second command to automatically switch to page B.
Clipboard01.jpg

Yes, that is exactly how you would do it. You would use the command "CC On/Off" and set the desired CC# (and Midi Channel).
Clipboard01.jpg

Attachments

• 1653892818581.png
    1653892818581.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 4

View attachment 78562
This is great. I think I'm going to buy one of these pronto and completely "borrow" this set up.

Hi @voes I have a question about a MC5 jr setup similar to one in this thread. are the LED's colours assignable on the MC5 jr or are they fixed ?

I would like to select Scenes 1 2 and 3 on the FM3 and have Scenes 4 5 and 6 with red LED's on the MC the last 2 switches being green and banking up and down presets. is this possible or with only the newer MX-5 do what I want

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi @voes I have a question about a MC5 jr setup similar to one in this thread. are the LED's colours assignable on the MC5 jr or are they fixed ?

I would like to select Scenes 1 2 and 3 on the FM3 and have Scenes 4 5 and 6 with red LED's on the MC the last 2 switches being green and banking up and down presets. is this possible or with only the newer MX-5 do what I want

Cheers

On the MC-5jr, LEDs (green/red) are fixed. Green for page 1, red for page 2.

Only on the MX line, the LEDs are fully programmable in 7 colors (green, red, blue, purple, yellow, turquoise, white)

hello community. I recently owned an FM3, my friend in my group also has one and recommended the MX-5 to me.
It is very versatile and small in size. I'm definitely going to order one... He knows everything well but can't get it in sync, we searched all afternoon in vain. The mx sends but does not receive. We have checked the parameters many times but still nothing...
Do you have an idea?

FM3 does not send any midi messages except those that you include in your patch with a midi message block. Take care for not sending and receiving on the same channel in that case. But I don't understand right away why you'd want to feed back midi from fm3 to the mx5 (what is it that you want to do?)

To send sysex from your computer to MX5 (or any other midi equipment) you"ll need a USB to midi converter, like the midisport 2x2 for example. If the driver is correctly installed there's no reason it shouldn't work with the Voes software

FM3 does not send any midi messages except those that you include in your patch with a midi message block. Take care for not sending and receiving on the same channel in that case. But I don't understand right away why you'd want to feed back midi from fm3 to the mx5 (what is it that you want to do?)

To send sysex from your computer to MX5 (or any other midi equipment) you"ll need a USB to midi converter, like the midisport 2x2 for example. If the driver is correctly installed there's no reason it shouldn't work with the Voes software
but FM and MX-5 can be syncronized by midi. So from what you say I need to add a midi block?
interesting...I'll dig into it
cheers

hello community. I recently owned an FM3, my friend in my group also has one and recommended the MX-5 to me.
It is very versatile and small in size. I'm definitely going to order one... He knows everything well but can't get it in sync, we searched all afternoon in vain. The mx sends but does not receive. We have checked the parameters many times but still nothing...
Do you have an idea?

but FM and MX-5 can be syncronized by midi. So from what you say I need to add a midi block?
interesting...I'll dig into it
cheers

The MX Midi Footcontrollers are all able to sync with Fractal Devices using Midi Sysex commands. You don't need a USB to Mdi convertor. You only need Midi In and Out connected to both devices.

Problem is that the MX-5 has only a Midi Out port to make the enclosure as small as possible. But you can solve this using the M-Box

vbox-05.jpg
Both Midi cables from the Fractal Device are connected to the M-Box and the M-Box is connected to the MX-5 using a 5-pin regular Midi cable (if you power the MX directly) or using a 7-pin Midi cable (if you use the M-Box to transfer the power).

PM me for further questions.

The MX Midi Footcontrollers are all able to sync with Fractal Devices using Midi Sysex commands. You don't need a USB to Mdi convertor. You only need Midi In and Out connected to both devices.

Problem is that the MX-5 has only a Midi Out port to make the enclosure as small as possible. But you can solve this using the M-Box

View attachment 129712
Both Midi cables from the Fractal Device are connected to the M-Box and the M-Box is connected to the MX-5 using a 5-pin regular Midi cable (if you power the MX directly) or using a 7-pin Midi cable (if you use the M-Box to transfer the power).

PM me for further questions.
Sorry, totally omitted the absence of midi in. I actually only send the sysex config files to the MX per USB....not the same function!

Still interested in understanding with an example what could be the application of sending sysex commands from the fm3 to the MX.

Back
Top Bottom