Vocal'ish' pick attack, smooth warm OD :- How to get this tone?

slash07

Inspired
I ran into this Greenhouse Effects Roadkiller pedal demo, sounds unique especially the pick attack on single note lines from 2:13 to 3:14 minutes in the video sounds awesome, and more parts later in the video as well..

Is there a way to achieve this on the AxeFx?

Maybe my headphones at work are crappy....but that just sounds like a cranked plexi to me.

Thanks for checking this out, I didn't come near even with a cranked plexi, perhaps there's more to it.

Anyone?

Try various Drive block models into the Normal channel of the various Plexi models. The darker, more woolly normal channel contributes to that creamy, vocal quality and tames the harshness of some dirt boxes.

The guy in the clip is driving the pedal into the clean channel of a Laney VC50. So first get that clean sound sorted. I agree with mr_fender, the normal channel of a Plexi would do nicely, combine with an IR that makes sense in this situation. Then add the drive pedal, I suggest the FET Boost, and play with the frequencies and the mids. Bringing the mix back to somewhere around 70% will also help and try to avoid any urge to dime the gain. This should get you close, if not completely there.

I spent a few minutes trying to recreate that tone tonight. I must admit that it wasn't easy since the only elements I had held over from the original 2010 video was the guitar and my fingers. I still have the OD but I've tried to consolidate everything into an Axe patch. So here's the preset and a video of the attempt. The midrange is wrong in hindsight but it will put you in the ballpark, I hope.

Preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5551

Yes I should say I'm blessed from down under ;)...I admire Burg's demos and his style, videos are awesome to hear back from the man himself is wonderful

Yes I should say I'm blessed from down under ;)...I admire Burg's demos and his style, videos are awesome to hear back from the man himself is wonderful
No probs. Always here to help if I can. Cheers and thanks for your kind words.

Wow, that doesn't happen every day.
Someone is looking to recreate tone from a vid....and the creator is on the forum and able to help recreate in the Axe.
Pretty cool.
That's what I thought! Serendipity. Certainly presented a challenge, though, and I still think I'm only about 80% there. Rock out!

Thanks Burgs! I'm a fan and watch your videos often. Didn't expect you'd pitch in with so much detail!!
Will try out this patch, it certainly sounds close. Thank you!!
You rock! :)
No probs. One thing I noticed is that I left a '57 mic on the cab in the uploaded patch. It's too nasally. I'd lose that and try one of the condensers - or nothing at all - and shift the mids down a little. Also, there's some sag evident in the Greenhouse video - that 'vocal squash' or whatever it is you referred to. That should be addressed to. The axe can do it all; it's just a matter of fine tuning. Rock out. :)

Make sure the amp isn't too clean, scooped or glassy. If you have a crystal shimmering clean I think it's going to be much harder.

In addition to Burg's super cool reply, you can also try experimenting with the pick material. Both Vinny at V-Picks, and Chris at Gravity picks sent me a bunch of picks to try out, some with a buffed edge and some with a unbuffed (not sure if unbuffed is actually a word) edge. The unbuffed edge added an interesting quality of sound to the pick attack.

In addition to Burg's super cool reply, you can also try experimenting with the pick material. Both Vinny at V-Picks, and Chris at Gravity picks sent me a bunch of picks to try out, some with a buffed edge and some with a unbuffed (not sure if unbuffed is actually a word) edge. The unbuffed edge added an interesting quality of sound to the pick attack.
He calls the unbuffed ones, "Ghost" edges. They do have a different sound. Also the curved v. sharp edges make a big difference.

I am a fan of V-Picks.
I love the grip.
For me they require a fair bit of maintenance to keep the edges right.
So they end up not being my first choice.

Tne pick thing has been picked apart several times on this forum over the years. I use Blue Chips and Gravity Gold picks. The acrylic picks have too much "chirp" in the higher registers for my taste. I just mentioned the pick edge as the OP was looking for a particular sound.

Tne pick thing has been picked apart several times on this forum over the years. I use Blue Chips and Gravity Gold picks. The acrylic picks have too much "chirp" in the higher registers for my taste. I just mentioned the pick edge as the OP was looking for a particular sound.

Picks or it didn't happen! (sorry, couldn't resist).

Back
Top Bottom