Wish Vocal Mic Pre model

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I would live to have a vocal mic pre modeled as part of the AMP block, with a totally flat Amplifier.

Something like an API or Neve pre that would be used as part of a vocal or piezo chain, to warm up or brighten up the signal a bit or just give it some of that high end mojo!

You have the 11 'Mic-Pre' models in the Cab block? Put the 'Totally Flat' IR (Factory 2 - #1024) in there, and try that out. You can also mess around with the 'Room' parameters.

I have given those a try. Not bad at all, but not quite what I was looking for.

But then again, maybe I can try to fiddle around some more. I have not really given the cab block pre a real work over yet.

The room parameters are reverb. Not what I'm looking for. Just a nice clean mic pre with a little sparkle and compression and lots of clean gain.

The emulations in the cab block are basically vintage channel strips, designed to mimic the recording chain of a great amp, into a cab, mic’d Up, and then ran through a recording counsel, imparting that last bit of color and character.

Your going to need to add compression etc in an additional block though, just like you would with a real one, if you really want to set up a classic signal chain.

Some pretty good software too that modules classic consoles, comps etc, so if you want a 1176 into a Neve sound, it’s all modeled down to the last detail.

Don’t know if the Axe will really ever cross over to modeling all of that in the same manner it does amps and effects. Maybe...

+1

The cab block thing sounds like a bit of a hassle. That said, I might give it a try. I don't know, though, since you have to put your mic through a preamp to even get it up to level to be heard in the Axe. It might be overkill (or at least too convoluted of a signal chain to have any authenticity of the mic preamp being modeled).

+1

The cab block thing sounds like a bit of a hassle. That said, I might give it a try. I don't know, though, since you have to put your mic through a preamp to even get it up to level to be heard in the Axe. It might be overkill (or at least too convoluted of a signal chain to have any authenticity of the mic preamp being modeled).

Actually, using an impedance converter works pretty well to get a mic level into the Axe III. Plenty of input signal.

+1

I agree. The key parts of a classic recording signal chain are the mic itself, the Preamp used, the eq on the console or outboard gear, and typically a compressor.

Even if you simulate a classic compressor and channel strip, your still not going to sound like a real large diaphragm condenser mic with a high end mic preamp if your using a dynamic sm58 and a cheap ART mic pre.

Likewise, if you do own a really high end mic, your probably not going to run it through an emulated signal chain, your going to want a good pre and such, otherwise why do you have a $1500 mic.

I’m not saying the idea is bad per say, but it would really just be useful (imo) for making the III into an outboard studio effect, and given most people with any DAW either use a plugin, or already own a nice mic locker, outboard gear etc, it seems like it would be a good bit of work to develop without a likely large number of users having a need or want for it.

UAD, Waves etc already seems to cover this market so I just don’t know if FAS should try to get a foot into that market as well.

Then again, UAD is doing amp modeling so they are going for a share of that market so perhaps FAS can try to get a little outboard studio processing market share ?

Ultimately up to Cliff I suppose and if he thinks the effort of making the III able to work in more studio outboard gear applications would result in increased sales, or if people would just say it’s a guitar processor and stick with their Eventide etc outboard gear

FAS did make the reverb plugin trying the waters so to speak, and FAS does have great verbs, but I don’t know how successful the plugin has been or if they still offer it ? I know it was on a pretty blowout pricing for a bit.

I'm not looking at using this in a studio.
I have what I need to record vocals/dialog in our studio.
What I'm envisioning is the ability to use the III as a complete package for solo/duet gigs. I sometimes do small shows with one or two musicians and a mic or 2. Rather than lug a mixer, I'd love to be able to do it all in the box.
Right now I have a preset with such a signal chain that I can do voice and guitar with nothing else than a mic and an impedance transformer. It would be nice to spruce it up with a pre model purposefully emulating a nice API or Neve preamp. Just a wish, not a must-have.

Back
Top Bottom