Vocal mic for home studio 2021

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Boy, searching this question is ridiulous. I tried.
I would rather hear what some of you folks have to say. Budget is <$1,000, well actually $600 or $700 would be MUCH better :) . Normally prefer large diaphram mics-this mic will be for vocals (mine) only.
I do have the Scarlett 18i20 mic pres and also a Warm Audio WA12 MIc pre.

I am currently using a Stellar CM5, large Diaphram tube condenser-Great mic- OLD.
Thanks

Last edited:
Michael Jackson and Metallica used a Shure SM7B in the studio. It’s a great warm dynamic mic that’s not very expensive at all. Another very cheap large diaphragm condenser that fairs well is a Rode NT1-a. Have you tried the Warm Audio WA-47? Some of the lower end Neumann’s are great for recording. I guess it’s hard to recommend mics due to all the variables, like your voice type, music type, range, volume, sibilance, etc….

I have a large diaphragm virtual mic by Townsen Labs L22, that I like a lot. I like it better than Slate Digital’s version. It records stereo and is able to effectively emulate proximity effect and many classic tube large diaphragm mics. There is a free plugin available for Universal Audio as well. Although, I think it’s a little higher price, but worth a look to get more than one microphone sound that is pretty authentic.

I'm going to take a look at the Shure and the warm Audio WA-47. Quite a price difference in the 2. My CM5 seems a lot like the Warm WA-47.
I have a somewhat high vocie and I sing really loud-for better or worse. I have been the lead singer or co lead singer in all the bands, trios duos that I have been in for a very long time.
Leaning towards Creedence\Van Morrison\Steely Dan and lots of blues type songs. Loved singing stuff like Peg and Moondance! Never really was in a classic rock group even though I love the music. Closest I came to singing like that was things like Hollywood Nights\Sunspot baby Bob Seger stuff.... If that makes any sense :)

JUst thought might help with mic suggestions....

Last edited:
I think you can’t go wrong with the SM7B for that type of voice, it handles volume, great on males with high voices as its a warmer mic. It’s often found in male podcasters as well because of it’s depth. Michael has a really high voice so it was probably a good offset for that.

I don’t have first hand experience with the Warm Audio, I just heard some good things about it but I would invest in the SM7B just for the sake of having that classic mic on hand and it’s cheap enough to not really effect your life too much(hopefully). You may need a Cloudlifter that brings up the volume of the mic as it’s extremely low output. It’s possible that your interface would have enough to give it the volume it needs but if not, check out the Cloudlifter (around $100) to bring up the volume if necessary.

I think you can’t go wrong with the SM7B for that type of voice, it handles volume, great on males with high voices as its a warmer mic. It’s often found in male podcasters as well because of it’s depth. Michael has a really high voice so it was probably a good offset for that.

I don’t have first hand experience with the Warm Audio, I just heard some good things about it but I would invest in the SM7B just for the sake of having that classic mic on hand and it’s cheap enough to not really effect your life too much(hopefully). You may need a Cloudlifter that brings up the volume of the mic as it’s extremely low output. It’s possible that your interface would have enough to give it the volume it needs but if not, check out the Cloudlifter (around $100) to bring up the volume if necessary.
Sounds good-I am going to get one. I have the Warm Audio WA12 Discreet Mic Pre. That shou;d handle the Shure right?
Thanks for the help Johhny

Frank

That Shure is so good and affordable.

You may need a Cloudlifter that brings up the volume of the mic as it’s extremely low output. It’s possible that your interface would have enough to give it the volume it needs but if not, check out the Cloudlifter (around $100) to bring up the volume if necessary.

Pretty sure (no pun intended) you can buy the Shure bundled with the Cloudlifer. I think some retailers will
even toss in a couple of nice XLR cables, too.

Back
Top Bottom