Vocal chain and Axe-Fx III

Blor007

Inspired
Hi guys

I currently own an AXE FX II.

I'm thinking about upgrading. I'm having trouble choosing between the following combo's:

1. FM3 + TC-Helicon Voicelive for vocals
  2. Axe FX III where I use Input 2 as a vocal input and make a vocal chain
Anyone got any experience with vocal chains in the axe fx?

• Are there any "gaps" when changing presets? I don't want my vocal to have a gap when I change my guitar preset and the vocal chain stays the same.
  • How suitable are the guitar effects for vocal processing?
  • How extreme/creative can you get when comparing it to a TC-Helicon?

Thx in advance!

Yes, there are gaps when you change presets. I have tried to mix my monitoring signal inside the axe-fx in a separate signal chain but the signal gets mutet for some ms when you change presets.

Consider using scenes within a song rather than changing presets. Change presets between songs.

I’m using the III for vocals (with a voice live touch 2 feeding it as the preamp!), but I only use comp -> eq -> delay -> reverb on vocals. It does sound superb. What sort of vocal effects will you want to use? Also be aware that using both reverbs can limit what else is available cpu wise, I have to cut back my 2 amp and 2 cab patch to add the vocal processing, but that was worth it.

Axe FX III where I use Input 2 as a vocal input and make a vocal chain
In that scenario you would still need a Mic Preamp I believe, just like @blaggers is doing. I am not sure about that, I just tried to hook up my SM7 to Input 2 once, and I wasn't able to get a clear signal (I was using and amp block as a preamp, the "neutral" tube preamp).

Maybe I am wrong, sorry If I am misinformed.

I only use comp -> eq -> delay -> reverb on vocals. It does sound superb.

I am very interested in knowing good vocal effect chains in Axe-Fx III. Maybe there is already a thread about that, I will take a look.

In that scenario you would still need a Mic Preamp I believe, just like @blaggers is doing. I am not sure about that, I just tried to hook up my SM7 to Input 2 once, and I wasn't able to get a clear signal (I was using and amp block as a preamp, the "neutral" tube preamp).

Maybe I am wrong, sorry If I am misinformed.

I am very interested in knowing good vocal effect chains in Axe-Fx III. Maybe there is already a thread about that, I will take a look.
You will need a preamp, the AxeFX inputs are not setup for mics.

I couldn’t see any threads on vocal processing. I searched YouTube for tips on vocal settings using digital mixers (Behringer xr18,etc), as the eq processing is similar between the those and the AxeFX

I use the AFX3 to do the vocal processing for our band. Take the mixers FX send into AFX input 3 and create a Vocal FX chain for each song in its own preset using in3 and out3 . For songs that require vocal fx changes I use scenes to manage that. The AFX 3 output 3 stereo pair goes into the mixers FX return.
Whats nice about this is that it is all line level signals. I just use the mixers preamps for the mics. Also we can dial in the amount of each singers FX with the mixers FX send for each channel. We can also dial in the overall FX based on the venue with the Mixers FX send and return levels. This way I never have to edit the vocal chain on the AFX .

If you are a solo act consider getting a small 4 channel mixer that has Fx/send return. Having the small mixer to adjust things on the fly is way easier then editing the AxeFx on the fly at a gig

I use Axe-fx III for guitars and send an output to a VoiceLive Rack so that it knows what chords to follow for the harmonizer. Signals are all processed by the individual units, but it is nice to have the harmonizer follow the chords. Works great and I can change individual effects via CC sent to the VoiceLive. I use that mostly to get my overall voice patch consistent for the song, and then kick in a harmonizer or doubler for certain parts as needed. Keep the harmonies low in the mix or they tend to draw too much attention, but if they are mixed in low and you have another singernor two in the band it can fill in the sound a bit. Also, use little if any reverb and don't get carried away with delay. Reverb with long tails gets really muddy if you aren't careful, so I use short decays mixed to be barely audible or leave it off.

Others have had some great suggestions, but wanted to add my own method as well.

So many good ideas in this thread! Thank you guys! 👍
Having the small mixer to adjust things on the fly is way easier then editing the AxeFx on the fly at a gig
I absolutely agree on that!
I use Axe-fx III for guitars and send an output to a VoiceLive Rack so that it knows what chords to follow for the harmonizer
That is a fantastic idea.

A question for all of you guys who are using you own mic preamp + Axe-Fx III: do you have any troubles with your presets when you get to the venue?

For instance: let's say you have a nice vocal preset in your headphones or at home, but when you get to the venue it is feedbacking like crazy, or too muddy or too trebly...any advice on making good live presets right from the start? And do sound guys complain about the fact you bring your own preamp/effects sound?

So many good ideas in this thread! Thank you guys! 👍

I absolutely agree on that!

That is a fantastic idea.

A question for all of you guys who are using you own mic preamp + Axe-Fx III: do you have any troubles with your presets when you get to the venue?

For instance: let's say you have a nice vocal preset in your headphones or at home, but when you get to the venue it is feedbacking like crazy, or too muddy or too trebly...any advice on making good live presets right from the start? And do sound guys complain about the fact you bring your own preamp/effects sound?
I would love advice on this, as well.

Hi guys

I currently own an AXE FX II.

I'm thinking about upgrading. I'm having trouble choosing between the following combo's:

1. FM3 + TC-Helicon Voicelive for vocals
  2. Axe FX III where I use Input 2 as a vocal input and make a vocal chain
Anyone got any experience with vocal chains in the axe fx?

• Are there any "gaps" when changing presets? I don't want my vocal to have a gap when I change my guitar preset and the vocal chain stays the same.
  • How suitable are the guitar effects for vocal processing?
  • How extreme/creative can you get when comparing it to a TC-Helicon?

Thx in advance!
I've set up a practice patch on the FM3 with guitar and SM58 mic going in. No mic pre-amp, just a volume block and compressor blocks turned up to get some gain. Sounds great.

Hi

And I'm new here
Could any of you share with me an example, illustrative vocal presets? I would like to see what compressor to use and other effects. How to set it in a chain.

Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom