Vitamin C awesomeness! New OH Orange! & FW18 Recto mdrn comparison!

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hi everyone!

Soooooo.... Kevin has something really cool in store for you guys!
Sometime this week Ownhammer will release the new Orange V3 cab and let me tell you, it f%&*in' ROCKS!!
I think he is going to release about 35 different speaker types right from the get go so I thought I'd make 4 clips to demonstrate some of my favorites.
This cab works so well with many different speaker types so even though it's great for rock it's awesome for any style I can imagine.
I absolutely love the 'Roar' on this one so plenty of midrange going on!

I also love Rectifier amps so I thought I'd also do a comparison of the new FW18 Recto mdrn modes.
It's not really scientific because every amp model uses another IR.
Still it gives a good impression of these IR's and amp models!

You really can't go wrong with FW18 and the new Ownhammer IR's.
It has never been easier to get great sounds quickly!

These are the amps and speakers used:

1-Recto 1 red Mdrn OH 412 ORNG OH-METAL (a new mix IR package that Kevin has been working on, I love it for metal and rock!)
2-Recto 2 red Mdrn OH 412 ORNG V-Type (I just think this is a cool speaker with great character for rock)
3-Recto 1 org Mdrn OH 412 ORNG OH-MDRN (If you haven't tried any of these give them a go, they are very versatile and fit the mix very nicely)
4-Recto 2 org Mdrn OH 412 ORNG V30-ORNG (I love the sizzle this combo has to offer, this one will also be used by me a lot. This is also the original V30 that came in Kevin's new Orange so it fits nicely)

Let me know what you think!

Outstanding composition and production as always, awesome job Jon! :) What is funny to me about this clip is when I first listened to it I picked favorites, then I have it going on in the background and zone out, find myself jamming along to it thinking "I really like that one, which speaker is that?". Turns out it was one of the ones I picked as lower ranking in my list. So I guess prior to my initial convictions (liking OH-Modern the most) I like them all, haha. Well done!

Sounds fantastic! Those are some of the best Recto tones I've heard in a long time. That Orange cab is just ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I continue to like Recto 1 Org Mdrn the most.

I think my favorite Recto at the moment is Recto 1 red mdrn.
It used to be Recto 2 Red Modern in previous firmwares but he Recto 1 red just sounds a bit more balanced.
Recto 1 orng seems a bit brighter but also very usable.
I like and use them all though....

Sounds fantastic! Those are some of the best Recto tones I've heard in a long time. That Orange cab is just ridiculous.

It certainly is ridiculous!
About the Recto's, which channels do you prefer Justin?

It certainly is ridiculous!
About the Recto's, which channels do you prefer Justin?

I personally love the Recto 1 Red Modern the most. I used to have a '94 "small logo" Dual Rec, so I'm a little partial to that one. Just like in real life, the Recto 1 is ballsy, but organic.

I need to check out more of the Recto Orange channels too. It seems like a lot of guys are loving those as well.

One and two all the way; hard to pick between the two. Three sounds fuckin stuffy, like a muzzle over a dog's mouth, by itself and in the mix - Ewww. Four is okay.

Second has a particularly nice richness to it. The fourth is most "in-your-face" (IMHO).

Thanks!

Is there anyone who's done similar sorts of comparisons with low and/or mid gain tones?

I had a really early Rectifier, I think it was #478 if I recall correctly. I got it dirt cheap in '94 when a customer came into the store I worked at selling two of them. In the end he decided he could only part with one and I snagged the other before we ever put it out on the sales floor. The transformer blew in 2001 and it never sounded the same. I never played it again and ended up selling it to Guitar Center in 2009 for more than I had paid for it. I still miss the pre blown transformer version of that amp.

I had a really early Rectifier, I think it was #478 if I recall correctly. I got it dirt cheap in '94 when a customer came into the store I worked at selling two of them. In the end he decided he could only part with one and I snagged the other before we ever put it out on the sales floor. The transformer blew in 2001 and it never sounded the same. I never played it again and ended up selling it to Guitar Center in 2009 for more than I had paid for it. I still miss the pre blown transformer version of that amp.

Cool story and too bad about the amp.
It's quite fascinating how different amps and different versions can have (subtle) variations that can make a world of difference.
I never owned a Recto myself but I played quite a few and have tried many modelers out there before getting the Axe Fx 2 years ago.
Finally I own a modeler that does the Recto sound wonderfully and with many choices!
7 Recto modes, 2 Meshuggah Recto's and the Fas modern 3 amp! Great assortment of you ask me.
I haven't really gotten good sounds out of Fredrik's Recto's even though I'm sure they are in there.
Do you guys have any tips on tweaking those?

Also, did any of you guys get some of the new OH Orange ir's?
Which ones are you liking?

Back
Top Bottom