Virtual voltage for drives, comps, and modulation?

So I realize that a major software update for the Axe3 (post-Quantum) that takes greater advantage of the hardware’s impressive processing power is likely a ways off from the Axe3’s launch but I figured I’d throw this out there since it’s something I would have liked to have seen the Axe2xl+ (and FX8) do and that’s virtual voltage.

One of the things some of us drive cascaders like to do is play around with the voltage to increase or decrease the headroom of our drives at strategic points in our signal chain to tweak the feel. For example...

In my analog rig I like to run a pre and post clean boost (a DDS clean boost at 9v and a Keeley Katana with an internal voltage doubler that produces 18v with a 9v external source) and sandwiched in between them is a Xotic BB Preamp running at 12v running into an Xotic AC Booster that I had modded to be able to run up to 18v...so...

-> DDS (9v) -> BB Pre (12v) -> AC Booster (18v) -> Keeley Katana (18v internal) ->>>>

And of course starving fuzzes of voltage yields some fun tones and textures too.

So how about a “voltage” setting on the drive, modulation blocks that allow you to go incrementally from 2.5-9 volts and then beyond 9v the range options go to 12, 18 and 24 volts accurately simulating the headroom and feel of the respective models on the drive and comp blocks...and then on the modulation and comp blocks you could have “voltage” options that make more sense like a minimum of 9v with settings for 12, 18, 24, and 36 volts.

That would be pretty great and allow us pedal tweakers to use the AxeFx’s effects in ways we normally use analog boxes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom