Virtual Mic Shootout for female singer.

mwd

Power User
Given a moderate pop band, good stage control of sound and a female singer with nice strong voice but not huge. In your live vocal experience what would generically be your order of favorite microphones and why and how would you characterize these mics. Good and bad.

I have available to me currently for her live lead vocals.

Audix OM-6
Shure SM-57
Shure SM-58
Shure SM-7B
Shure Beta 87A Wireless (been using this one)
Sennheiser e935
Telefunken M80
Audio Technica ATM710

Have been looking at getting a Beyerdynamic M88 for the collection as well.

Mainly looking for opinions.

Last edited:
Don't shoot me for adding to your list, but I'm a huge fan of the Neodymium's from EV. Check out an old 357 or a newer 767. They do have a large proximity effect, so make sure you get on the mic.
Very full sounding mics. Don't feedback as easy as shure mics in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwd
for me - it depends - until I hear the voice.
But generally.. it's a toss-up between the Beta87 and E935
And yes.. I agree with @warlockII on the ND's.. nice and warm.
Failing all the above.. good ole 57 or Beta 58's work too.

Had great luck with female vocal and a Beta 58. Also readily available wireless, which is a perk. The SM-58 will sound fine if she sings close to it, the Beta is hotter and a tad clearer.

Try all you have, you never know... And it's free! If you need a change, the Shure Beta series are good sounding, reliable, with a reasonable price tag. Gets my vote for a working mic.

Neumann have an exceptionally good mic for female vocals that is also suprisingly well priced.
Look at the KMS 105 as its a hypercardoid so will be good at shielding from unwanted sound (always a problem with soft vocalists)
Thanks
Pauly

lol... hey all input is appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom