Virtual Jeff

State of Epicicity

Fractal Fanatic
I'm really curious about any kind of digital whammy thing, and I've been following this company for a while. I can't tell how good this thing is, but I'm wondering if anyone had a chance to try out the prototype version at NAMM years ago? It's finally available for sale now in the new version:

https://www.fomofx.com/

I had the Morpheus and the Whammy (5th Gen), neither of which were quite right for me, but this Virtual Jeff has definitely piqued my interest.

So @bradlake ... What do you think of the "Virtual Jeff" since you've owned it? I was really interested in these when they were first announced, but I was put off by the high price tag. Is it worth the price of admission?
it functions more or less as advertised, latency is to my ear not an issue, the physical implementation is a bit kludgey without professional installation, but it is nearly equal in polyphonic shifting power to the extinct Antares Guitar Autotune in a much more compact format…havent yet figured out the MIDI part of it ..was hoping to get it to output pitch, no luck to date.

it functions more or less as advertised, latency is to my ear not an issue, the physical implementation is a bit kludgey without professional installation, but it is nearly equal in polyphonic shifting power to the extinct Antares Guitar Autotune in a much more compact format…havent yet figured out the MIDI part of it ..was hoping to get it to output pitch, no luck to date.
Do you think you could play a Beck tune on it and not be able to tell it wasn't an actual trem?

Do you think you could play a Beck tune on it and not be able to tell it wasn't an actual trem?
If I was JB, yes.….but I have always felt, since Truth was released in 68, that no one in the world could ..or should .. replicate his incredible style…
.there are moments ,however, when using the Virtual Jeff when I remotely may sound vaguely similar to something he might have done on an off day….

If I was JB, yes.….but I have always felt, since Truth was released in 68, that no one in the world could ..or should .. replicate his incredible style…
.there are moments ,however, when using the Virtual Jeff when I remotely may sound vaguely similar to something he might have done on an off day….
My main concern is that a trem is far from linear and that is a huge part of the sound of a real trem. Whammy pedals can't copy a trem with any utility ,they do their own thing.

My main concern is that a trem is far from linear and that is a huge part of the sound of a real trem. Whammy pedals can't copy a trem with any utility ,they do their own thing.
No doubt there are harmonic nuances that the VJ cannot replicate, and I haven’t had th opportunity to use it at gig volume, but the tactile feel
of the VJ trembar goes a long way to enhance the experience….and judicious use of real finger vibrato and bends can create very interesting
results.

Back
Top Bottom