Virtual Capo with a 7 String

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Just got a 7 for fun. Want to keep it in B standard or Drop A, but for fun would like to VC it down to play along with some heavier songs. I know it's asking a lot going to like drop G or F, but is there a way to set it up, either in the block or signal chain, where it doesn't just turn to much. I also feel like I'm losing gain.

This isn't a knock against VC, it's amazing, just seeing if there's something I can do to make it more effective.

@jlynnb1 - Just put pitch block right behind input, choose VC and set it -1,-2,-3 or whatever you want and enjoy... If you bypass block, you will have original tuning

@Cars&Guitars - VC works in plus and in minus.

I am succesfully using VC on -2 setting with my 6 string bass tuned BEADGC. It sounds natural and it is very reponsive, so I do not have to use bass with different tuning or drop B string to A. Works great with low notes. Example in that song (2nd part, played with VC -2):

@jlynnb1 - Just put pitch block right behind input, choose VC and set it -1,-2,-3 or whatever you want and enjoy... If you bypass block, you will have original tuning

@Cars&Guitars - VC works in plus and in minus.

I am succesfully using VC on -2 setting with my 6 string bass tuned BEADGC. It sounds natural and it is very reponsive, so I do not have to use bass with different tuning or drop B string to A. Works great with low notes. Example in that song (2nd part, played with VC -2):

yeah that's what I'm doing, just losing a lot of definition etc.

Pretty cool, I've been toying with the idea of a 7 string for a while now! Hope you enjoy it!

On the mush/gain thing, what happens if you turn the level of the Pitch block up to compensate for the gain loss? Does that improve anything? I have a guitar in D standard which I use the VC to go to B and it does the job well, but then that is a 6 string.

I used the advanced whammy in the pitch block to drop my 7 string at drop Ab to drop Eb. I feel like it tracks better than the virtual capo for me.

My suggestion for what you want to do would be to place it first thing after the input block but also to set the detector source to "input 1" instead of block in. It may be possible that your noise gate is harsh and limiting some of the information that pitch block needs to do it's thing.

I think the Virtual Capo sounds fine on my 7 string. Damn near magical but clearly not perfect solution. It sure beats floppy strings, set up time, and/or buying another guitar. Great for practice, fine for performance, but not how I'd like to record.

Want to share your preset?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom