Virtual Capo Help please

Rafa Diaz

Experienced
Hello guys hope you are well

I never used the virtual capo but today I have set it due to a new singer coming over this weekend and it just doesn't sound alright

I don't know if I am becoming paranoid or I am doing anything wrong as I still can have the feeling the original note is there not fully muted

Attached a simplified version of my preset

Community, @FractalAudio @BryantP, can you kindly let me know if that's all we can get or if I can improve my virtual capo somehow?

Many thanks in advance

Rafa

Attachments

• Virtual Capo test.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 10
Virtual Capo always sounds awful when you hear the direct sound of your guitar.

I've tested your preset and see nothing wrong with the capo. It also sounds awful at my system because I play with small monitors at low volume, and my headphones are open.

I have recorded a track using your preset and the playback is OK. You do not hear the original notes at the recorded signal

I just heard of a similiar case in the german forum.
It wasn't reproducible on other units. I think they fixed it by performing a global reset (but you'll lose your data in the process).

Maybe worth a shot after you backed up all your settings/presets.

Virtual Capo always sounds awful when you hear the direct sound of your guitar.

I've tested your preset and see nothing wrong with the capo. It also sounds awful here because I play with small monitors at low volume, and my headphones are open.

You will not hear that at the recorded signal
Good idea to first record it and see how it sounds then.

My two pence on this. Firstly, it's almost certainly that you can hear the original pitch guitar acoustically at the same time as you hear the pitch shifted note through the monitors. That was my experience when playing in my studio.

Putting closed back headphones on and turning things up a bit, and it was fine. Also, going to band rehearsal, it was fine.

People seem to have differing senstivity to the inevitable latency involved. Some have reported that even though listeners say it sounds fine, the player might feel the small latency and find it a offputting. I was ok. YMMV.

This is one of the things I've been disappointed in as well. The latency just makes it unworkable for me at any volume. I'm hopeful they're able to incorporate whatever code allows the capo feature to work so well on the Axe III.

Did the pitch block get the updates that happened with the Axe III on 12.08? The virtual capo tracks really well, just a pain to hear the overtones when you are recording.

This is one of the things I've been disappointed in as well. The latency just makes it unworkable for me at any volume. I'm hopeful they're able to incorporate whatever code allows the capo feature to work so well on the Axe III.

Same here

Reactions: Den
you are right, on a recording it sounds alright, not as nice as the AF3 but quite cool.

Probably that was the main issue, me getting that real sound as despite having good monitors they were not loud enough

thanks everyone for the contribution

May 2021 Axe Fx 3 mkii same problem, not bad on the chug notes but unusable for lead so no learning Malmsteen without a different box or plugin or guitar

May 2021 Axe Fx 3 mkii same problem, not bad on the chug notes but unusable for lead so no learning Malmsteen without a different box or plugin or guitar

Common problem. Try to play with headphones or loud enough to avoid hearing the acoustic pitch of your guitar strings, the Virtual Capo works fine.

Nada bro, playing plenty loud no “acoustic” sound audible from a solid body at my monitor levels
The fact that it is a common problem means it needs fixing
Have my digi drop in the meantime also our tech doesn’t believe in a digital solution and I don’t like changing guitars mid set but I was really hoping buy the the AXE 3 would do the trick and that the Cygnus update had corrected the issue well maybe next update

I meant is a common problem people complaining about hearing the original pitch behind the Virtual Capo just because they are not playing loud enough to mask the sound of the strings. If you can share a screenshot of your VC settings maybe we could se if there's something wrong about it.

The virtual capo is great. I use it mainly to lay down a bass line with my guitar. It does "ok" at rhythm parts in a mix. I have to agree with Furryz on its unusability for leads. It tracks "ok" for simple stuff but there's just to much subtle and dynamic stuff lost for most lead playing. Personally I just keep a few RGs in different tunings. Problem solved. 🤘

Back
Top Bottom