Violin patch (+ Ensemble feature!)

ok, here's another patch.

when someone mentioned that it sounded like Thumbjam, i thought it might be a good source for tone matching. unfortunately, tome matching isn't working well for me at the moment...i seem to be getting some phasing from my source audio, probably due to an audio loop happening somewhere, but this sounds very close anyway. the nice thing about the Thumbjam samples, is that each note has a slight swell in it, so i tried to emulate that with the adsr and a volume block. i removed the adsr controlled attack feature and i've lowered the level of the resonator considerably and pushed the frequencies right up with the master control. sounds pretty nice.

this patch uses the viola IR, included below

i'd be interested in some feedback on these - which one is the best, in your opinion?

ta

sim

NB -

EXT1 controls volume - tied to the second volume block
EXT3 bypasses the two pitch shifters, the delay and the third volume block for the ensemble feature

First impression is that I slightly prefer the first one. This one sounds more synthesized, less natural. Selecting the gtrbody IR instead of viola already improves it.

First impression is that I slightly prefer the first one. This one sounds more synthesized, less natural. Selecting the gtrbody IR instead of viola already improves it.

yes, i think i agree. the resonator is really adding something (too low in version 3) and the guitar body ir is maybe a little nicer than the viola, although the frequency profile of the viola is more accurate, i think.

ok, can't take full credit for this, because it's based on a patch posted by "3 Chord Rock" some time ago on the Ultra forum. i've ported it over to the axe fx II and added a cool ensemble feature, which you can hear in the demo

the advantage we II users have over the ultra users, is the cab size parameter - small tweaks to this make a big difference to the tone in this patch and if i were to multitrack this on something, i would probably make very small tweaks to the cab size between each take for maximum authenticity

this patch has made me smile all afternoon - i hope it does the same for you! :)

10 extra points to whoever can spot the tune i'm quoting at the beginning of the demo, before i hit Ext3 and go all Vienna :)

Ext1 is tied to the volume block.

the ensemble is created with two intelligent pitch shifters, both currently set to A Aeolian

you''ll need the IR as well, so load that up and point the cab to it

demo...

patch and IR...

Truly fantastic and very inspiring! Hats off to you. (or if you prefer singular, my hat's off to you). Kudos!

I'm a little lost on the external setups. I have a volume via CC though I used to have it per preset-and i think I like that better. Then I can use it for other things in other presets. The other pedal is wah but again, having come back to the mfc setups after not having done it for quite some time-I am a little lost and havent had the time to dig into it-I've been playing instead ;)

That said, I like having volume, wah and rate on pedals. I used to trade off one or the other depending on the preset. Heck, if I could find a nice clean, smaller package of 4 pedals I'm sure I could find something to do with 4!

Simeon, great work! Just heard the clip and I'm glad I did. It'll be on my ii right after work. Can't wait.

Thx again!

FINALLY got time to load this up today and man, it's just crazy. I couldn't quit playing it! I called my wife in to hear it and she was shocked at how realistic it sounds when you play it right.

One unexpected benefit was that this is like an old Catholic nun slapping you across the knuckles with a ruler every time your playing or palm muting gets sloppy. It's actually a pretty good exercise for technique. You play cleanly, it is amazingly fluid. You play sloppy and get clicks and pops and strange low resonances that immediately let you know "you're not doing it right, sonny boy!"

I play in a band that does a lot of cover tunes, and I am going to freak some people out on country songs with this one.

you can check whether the cab ir has made it to the axe fx, by looking in the cab - it should say gtrbody when you select the right slot. if you see gtrbody in axe edit and right click and send to axe fx, then i'm not sure it matters where you put it (although it should go in the "cabs" folder") - axe edit will ask you which user slot you want to put it in.

i would also bypass the volume block - if you have nothing connected to external 1, then it will default to zero.

It finally works when i bypassed the volume block but i don't hear the ensemble part lol how do i get it to work?

Simeon,
Thank you SOOOO much for sharing this!! I get a big stupid grin every time I play this preset :) This is a great example of just how powerful and versatile the axe can be!!! Inspiring stuff here!!

The ensemble effect is set up to kick in when a footswitch is stomped. If you don't have any footswitches, edit the pitch blocks and remove bypass link. That will turn on the "ensemble."

The ensemble effect is set up to kick in when a footswitch is stomped. If you don't have any footswitches, edit the pitch blocks and remove bypass link. That will turn on the "ensemble."

I've tried editing it through the axe-edit but i can't seem to remove anything. And when I look at the my axe it says CPU overload as it constantly blinks on and off and makes the cab sound extremely sizzled and static sounding

Or you can leave the modifiers in place & toggle EXT CTRLs via their INIT VALUEs in the I/O menu.

To remove modifiers in Axe-Edit right-click on the parameter (Byp. Mode in this case) and change source to "none" at the window that pops up.

Or you can leave the modifiers in place & toggle EXT CTRLs via their INIT VALUEs in the I/O menu.

To remove modifiers in Axe-Edit right-click on the parameter (Byp. Mode in this case) and change source to "none" at the window that pops up.

I think i finally got it.. i listened to the track from simeon's first post and i just enabled the multiverb block so it sounds sorta identical

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom