violin EQ

violindave

Inspired
Using Axe III for violin. Sometimes with just EQ and effects, sometimes with tubepre, sometimes tube amp such as princeton. When preset leveling I find that when the tone sounds right the level on high notes is low and gets lost in a band mix. When I tweak so the level stays in range it cuts through but does not sound as warm as I would like. Increasing mids around 1K makes it honky/muddy. Any suggestions to increase the warmth without losing the presence/cut?

I don't like the Pitch Follower idea as much as treating the root of the problem.

If the level is low some of the time in a band context, maybe the tone isn't right.

This could also be your instrument or pickup. How are the levels at the input? If the level is imbalanced across the instrument's range, you might be able to address this with a different kind of EQ. Try a broad gentle EQ like a high shelf instead of a bell EQ.

Similar to the pitch follower, I'd also try slow compression with a side chain filter to constrain the levels on the low notes. This is faster because it is based on the detection of levels instead of pitch.

Last edited:
Also maybe try some kind of light compression that increases the relative level of higher notes, e.g. using MBC (multiband compressor). Also in general the tube compressor seems to fatten things up nicely, so if set to key off of higher frequencies, that might help. Or some light dynamic distortion.

I'm sure there are many other ways to try to get there that others can offer...

Last edited:
I thought that's what I described: compress with a high shelf cut in the side chain and boost everything.
You did. I had posted mine (at about the same time) without seeing yours first. Could have deleted it.

Ironically in my last sentence I was thinking of you (and others) but you were already on it.

Last edited:
Try a clip mic (DPA4099) instead or in mix with the (piezo?) pickup!
Thanks. my pickup is a Schertler stat-v which is some sort of electret mic, not piezo. It sounds really good and handles super loud with no feedback. A clip on is good for low vol
"acoustic", folk, softer jazz etc but not for loud rock, jazz, fusion etc. It probably would have greater fidelity you are correct but also not good for any kind of amp/cab/tube / overdrive etc

Using Axe III for violin. Sometimes with just EQ and effects, sometimes with tubepre, sometimes tube amp such as princeton. When preset leveling I find that when the tone sounds right the level on high notes is low and gets lost in a band mix. When I tweak so the level stays in range it cuts through but does not sound as warm as I would like. Increasing mids around 1K makes it honky/muddy. Any suggestions to increase the warmth without losing the presence/cut?
Find an isolated recording of a violin sound you like and do a tone match...

If your low notes are loud and your high notes are quiet, I’d recommend putting a compressor at the beginning of the chain. Start subtle and slowly increase compression (while slowly boosting the compressor level to compensate) until you get an even output.

I’d also recommend using one of the studio / JFET compressor models for transparency as opposed to a pedal compressor model. Studio compressors don’t bounce and squish as obviously as pedal compressors.

How are you amplifying the pickup? It does not have a preamp in it.
Their preamp (sold separately) also has a built-in: "2nd order High pass filter (cut freq. 100Hz) always on". Maybe that's something to replicate in the Axe-Fx.

A common issue with acoustic guitars with a piezo transducer (which also works with pressure) is that some strings can be louder or quieter if the bridge does not sit properly. Double-triple check your fitting and the volume of your strings with just shunts and a null filter to increase the volume. Once you are sure that the instrument sounds at it should, you can start messing with EQ and dynamics.

I love seeing other stringed instrument users on here. World of options for cool ideas using this with your instrument, or many others. New frontier really as most of you are very basic. All good....just options with your route!

Back
Top Bottom