Vintage stripped down sounding amps

hughj

Inspired
I really like a stripped down clean and pushing breakup sound. Just tried the Carr Roamer with really nice results. Does anyone have any other recomendations. Axe change seems to be loaded with a lot of heavily effected presets.

There's loads of options. Personally I like the tweed and brownface Fenders for this (esp the 59 Bassman and Vibrolux) - and the Dr. Zs. Remove everything else from the equation, choose the appropriate 'mix' cab, add a smidgen of verb and delay to taste and - voila. You don't really need a preset!

Lot of good suggestions above.. I like the Swart amp model (forget what it's called).. that's one of my favorites. I tend to go for that kind of sound (vintage stripped down amp) in general based on years of playing vintage amps and my style leaning that way as well. The trick is finding an IR that matches the amp model and the guitar being used and just go from there.. add any reverb/delay/etc. after really dialing in an amp/IR combination you like.

Do you guys have any tips on settings you mess with to achieve vintage sounding tones. I know everyone says to dial it till it sounds good to you, but sometimes you can start turning too many knobs and lose your way. Some very cool suggestions so far. Any vintage sounding effects you guys use would be cool too. Thanks, this forum rocks!

Besides the above, DIV/13 FT37, Citrus A30, Buttery, 5F1 Tweed, Matchbox D-30.

This.. DIV/13 FT37 LO has become my favorite amp for that kind of sound. Love this amp.

edit: you asked for settings... this works for me.. I dial in volume with guitar on 8 to give room to dirty.

Chain is: esoteric RCB -> div/13 ftr lo -> cab -> delay -> reverb

RCB:
drive - 0
tone - 5.80
level - 10

amp: div/13 ftr lo
basic tab:
boost - on
bright - on
input drive - 3.80
bass - 4.40
mid - 5.20
treble - 5.55
master - 10
level - depends on your monitoring, mines at 0

speaker tab:
low res freq - 55.0
low res - 6.10

Cab: OH_112_DLX_H-PR-55_Studio-Vintage ultra-res
mic - none

delay: stereo tape
time - 380ms
mix - 12%

reverb: med room
mix - 20%

Last edited:
Pretty much using the same list everyone else posted plus one nobody mentioned - the AC20 DLX!

Main patches use: Buttery, D-30, MZ-8, AC20

Playing around with: Roamer, FT37

Also will second the Bogner 2x12 Fane UR ;)

Lot of good suggestions above.. I like the Swart amp model (forget what it's called).. that's one of my favorites. I tend to go for that kind of sound (vintage stripped down amp) in general based on years of playing vintage amps and my style leaning that way as well. The trick is finding an IR that matches the amp model and the guitar being used and just go from there.. add any reverb/delay/etc. after really dialing in an amp/IR combination you like.

I'm the exact same way. I vary between old school jazz tones, like Wes Montgomery all they way to David Gilmour tones. For metal, I like Heaven and Hell-era Sabbath, so the whole djent thing is something I leave for others. I'm glad to read that not everyone is super high gain; the AxeFX is not strictly a metal machine, though lots of metal guys play it.

It seems that the low gain guys are not as into sharing on axe-change. I think people assume that its too easy to dial these tones in, but I for one, am learning a lot from you guys that are using these amps.

I'm the exact same way. I vary between old school jazz tones, like Wes Montgomery all they way to David Gilmour tones. For metal, I like Heaven and Hell-era Sabbath, so the whole djent thing is something I leave for others. I'm glad to read that not everyone is super high gain; the AxeFX is not strictly a metal machine, though lots of metal guys play it.

It seems that the low gain guys are not as into sharing on axe-change. I think people assume that its too easy to dial these tones in, but I for one, am learning a lot from you guys that are using these amps.

I need to get around to posting some presets- not that I think they'll be of much interest to anyone, but I've found a few from others that I really like. So pass it around. But I find everything so guitar dependent that I rarely try a preset that works for me without working it over for my ears, etc. I typically end up resetting the amp anyway..

If you notice above where Clickonce gave you settings, they're fairly close to stock. Clean boost up front, T/M/B are all very near 5, master is full up (non-master amp), he adjusted the settings on the speaker pg. a little (note Cliff's suggestions in the recent FW release notes), picked one of the new UR cabs (kind of a no brainer- they're killer), and then added some standard delay and reverb to taste.

That's pretty much where I start with these types of amps/tones every time.. I'll experiment with the input trim vs. regular drive (forget what it's called) for dialing in the right breakup on an amp where it can still clean up, try to balance the treble/bass for my pickups and then work through various IR's (which is pretty quick). I rarely touch the advanced settings lately.. save for the speaker page as per Cliff's suggestions in the release notes. I've been using the null mic and adjusting proximity in the cab block here or there to add some low end for thinner sounding amps/cabs. I use the UR cabs almost exclusively now- waiting on cab lab to convert all my Ownhammer cabs..

THe problem I have lately is there are so many great sounding amps in the Axe now that I get option overload. I like to just sit down and play so I often just pull up one of a few presets I have dialed in somewhat and go..

Back
Top Bottom