Vintage Marshall Plexi?

EricP1954

Experienced
This should be a complete no-brainer for the Axe-Fx II+ XL - An awesome patch that sounds like the real deal.

I must be missing something!

At 3:42, there is a short section where you hear UAD's vintage Marshall, and it sounds incredible!

I'm using a Les Paul 58 reissue with Burstbuckers, can't seem to find a preset with that same basic Marshall awesomeness, and believe me, I would love anyone to prove me wrong!

The amp in that video sounds more compressed than a vintage Plexi.... sounds more like a JCM 800 to me. The early Marshall's have got to be some of the most "presetted" amp model for the II - I've seen patches everywhere. Some are better than others and I have some really good ones (see video below). Also, since the Plexi is nearly identical in circuit design to the Fender Bassman, check out some of those patches too.

Last edited:
The amp in that video sounds more compressed than a vintage Plexi.... sounds more like a JCM 800 to me. The early Marshall's have got to be some of the most "presetted" amp model for the II - I've seen patches everywhere. Some are better than others and I have some really good ones (see video below). Also, since the Plexi is nearly identical in circuit design to the Fender Bassman, check out some of those patches too.

Damn......some tasty playing there ;-)

Cheers

Søren

Purchased and downloaded your patches. Look forward to playing with them!

Also I agree with the other poster, some fine playing there! Reminds me of David Gillmore.

Last edited:
That music is win guy, I’m just stunned at how many subbers he has. Must be a serious void in the market somewhere

I've played with the UDA Marshall and Friedman and find the Axe Fx objectively better. 100x better

I'd put an eleven rack on par with the UDA stuff

I put this preset together for you. Try it and let me know what you think. You can also try switching the amp to a Plexi 100W High. The cab you use can really make a difference to getting the right 'plexi' sound as well.

I also included a 'Supertweed' preset that I use in my band a lot. It has a very 'plexi' sound to it.

Attachments

• Plexi 50 MK.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Supertweed MK.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I've played with the UDA Marshall and Friedman and find the Axe Fx objectively better. 100x better

I'd put an eleven rack on par with the UDA stuff
Can't agree with you regarding UAD versus the Eleven Rack. The UAD models are quite remarkable and the only models I've tried that are impressive besides the Axe-FX. I prefer the Axe, but a factor of 100 is way overstated.

And I agree with Yek. Terrible video. This guy's tones don't sound anything like Jimmy Page's. Another self-appointed expert on YouTube who falls short of his own self image.

I put this preset together for you. Try it and let me know what you think. You can also try switching the amp to a Plexi 100W High. The cab you use can really make a difference to getting the right 'plexi' sound as well.

I also included a 'Supertweed' preset that I use in my band a lot. It has a very 'plexi' sound to it.
Thanks again! Will look forward to trying these out.

Can't agree with you regarding UAD versus the Eleven Rack. The UAD models are quite remarkable and the only models I've tried that are impressive besides the Axe-FX. I prefer the Axe, but a factor of 100 is way overstated.

And I agree with Yek. Terrible video. This guy's tones don't sound anything like Jimmy Page's. Another self-appointed expert on YouTube who falls short of his own self image.
The basic Marshall tone from the UAD plugin from the video was more what I was thinking about than the tone that the guy ended up with. I know that you are one of the best judges of getting the tone right for the tune, Mark!

The basic Marshall tone from the UAD plugin from the video was more what I was thinking about than the tone that the guy ended up with. I know that you are one of the best judges of getting the tone right for the tune, Mark!
I like Youtubers who sprinkle their videos with a a bit of humility and a realization that they may not be the best person to lecture others; especially when they really do know what they are doing. His tones aren't bad, but they don't scream Page to my ears. Perhaps I'm being unfair. I've just grown weary of YouTube lectures by everyone and their grandma.

Hi Glenn, I had a chance to play around with these patches and of the two, I got along best with the Plexi 50Watt. But it was also fun dropping in A 1959SLP and using your patches as a basis while playing with some different tweaks. Thanks very much for reading my post and coming on board, faith restored!

Check it about 8:00 in:

Some great jewels inside this preset package! All of these were thoughtfully chosen and created. I never took the time to listen to the tremolo/pan block since Cliff revamped the whole thing two or three years back, and it sounds incredible!

I like Youtubers who sprinkle their videos with a a bit of humility and a realization that they may not be the best person to lecture others; especially when they really do know what they are doing. His tones aren't bad, but they don't scream Page to my ears. Perhaps I'm being unfair. I've just grown weary of YouTube lectures by everyone and their grandma.
Well, the guy in the video is actually pretty funny, although he sounds like he might be shilling for UAD. But you have dog ears, Mark, and you get so close to these guys' tones, I don't even know how you do it, and I guess THAT is going to remain a trade secret for a while :D

i find the cab makes a huge difference. more than which flavour of marshall you choose. i like the larry mitchell plexi cab. it has a real vintage vibe.

one thing i like to do for a vintage type sound is turn the bright switch off and then turn up the treble and presence to compensate. it's a much "looser" sound, imo

i find the cab makes a huge difference. more than which flavour of marshall you choose. i like the larry mitchell plexi cab. it has a real vintage vibe.

one thing i like to do for a vintage type sound is turn the bright switch off and then turn up the treble and presence to compensate. it's a much "looser" sound, imo
Thanks for the suggestion, Simeon, I browsed over to his website and downloaded the bundle. Good sound and the price was right...free! Turning off the bright switch and compensating a little with more treble is a good idea. Glenn DeLaune employed that same trick while building his patches, sounds much better IMO too!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom