Wish View Tapped Tempo BPM on Display Screen

Downtown2112

Inspired
For live use - I'd really like the ability to see the tempo as I'm tapping it in. I realize that may be available on the upcoming FCs, but I'm going to be playing live before those are available. It would be really nice if the screen could switch to a tempo page (with a readable tempo on it) and then exit out when I've stopped tapping.

I hooked up my MFC and started setting it up for MIDI usage. I got scenes working. I got IAs working. I got the tuner to display. While I can certainly tap a tempo and have it recognized by the III, I'd feel a lot more comfortable being able to *see* the calculated BPM. (My AX8 has spoiled me.)

Thanks for considering.

Just got nailed again in a live setting. MFC MkIII setup to tap tempo. AxeFX III setup to use last two. (Can’t use average because transitions are too quick between songs)

We end one song and immediately cue the next. Click track starts and I start tapping. Tempo is wonky, I don’t realize it and of course this is the song I kick off with a Dot8 intro. Hilarity/terror ensued.

Would REALLY be helpful to see the tempo I’ve tapped in. I think I’m going to need to go back to the Ax8 for live use for the time being.

Just got nailed again in a live setting. MFC MkIII setup to tap tempo. AxeFX III setup to use last two. (Can’t use average because transitions are too quick between songs)

We end one song and immediately cue the next. Click track starts and I start tapping. Tempo is wonky, I don’t realize it and of course this is the song I kick off with a Dot8 intro. Hilarity/terror ensued.

Would REALLY be helpful to see the tempo I’ve tapped in. I think I’m going to need to go back to the Ax8 for live use for the time being.
Can you make a preset or Scene for that particar song and save the tempo instead? That way your tempo will always be the exact BPM you want every time.

Can you make a preset or Scene for that particar song and save the tempo instead? That way your tempo will always be the exact BPM you want every time.

Yeah - I’m gonna have to do something or I just can’t keep using the III live. I’ve got one more song to get through today then I’ll have a couple of weeks to investigate more deeply.

I suspect that is all my fault and due to how I setup the MFC. If I “pop” the tap, I get reasonable tempos as expected. However, if I’m too heavy footed, I get tempo mods on tap down AND release. If that makes any sense at all.

I’m not tapping any differently than I did when I had my XL. Not tapping any differently than I do with my AX8. However, starting a song with a tapped tempo of 250BPM just can’t happen.

Back to the wish part...if I could SEE that on the III, I’d know it before I started playing.

I suspect that is all my fault and due to how I setup the MFC. If I “pop” the tap, I get reasonable tempos as expected. However, if I’m too heavy footed, I get tempo mods on tap down AND release. If that makes any sense at all.

It sounds like a CC is being sent on both press & release. Setting the switch "off" value to OFF should fix that.

Can’t use average because transitions are too quick between songs

Did you try this and encounter problems? I'm just wondering if the double-CC issue was the main problem.

Tapping twice with average gives the same result as with "last two". If you want to continue tapping, average should almost always get closer to the actual tempo while jumping around less from tap to tap.

Tapping twice with average gives the same result as with "last two". If you want to continue tapping, average should almost always get closer to the actual tempo while jumping around less from tap to tap.
Unless something changed, I don't think so... I am pretty certain that is the reason last two was added. I might be wrong, but never used tap tempo before that change as the result was too unpredictable for me

It sounds like a CC is being sent on both press & release. Setting the switch "off" value to OFF should fix that.

@Bakerman - you nailed it. That was exactly the issue. I was sending 000 and 127 values. Changing those to OFF and 127 got rid of my goofy tempo issue.

As for average vs last 2...I've used last 2 ever since it was introduced. I thought the "average" option took the average of the last 10 taps - which made it sometimes difficult to get very precise. Last 2 - especially on the AX8 where I can see the tempo - meant I could just stop tapping once I saw the tempo was right (or close enough).

Still hoping there's *some* way coming to see the tempo. Heck if the tempo screen could just go away after x seconds of inactivity, that would be preferable to the state of things today.

Unless something changed, I don't think so...

Which sentence are you referring to?

Tapping only twice gives the same tempo with either setting.

Some scenarios might benefit from "last two", like when everyone starts playing at a significantly different tempo from the count-in. Then your last 2 taps (after starting to play) can get in the ballpark more immediately than with averaging.

One potential issue with averaging is when you tap a few times, pause less than 2 seconds and try to tap again. That counts the <2 second pause as a tap interval and the averaged tempo will be low until you get 10 taps beyond, or pause longer and tap again. To avoid this scenario, don't do that. It's better to just tap 10 times if you have time to tap 3-4, listen, tap again.

Aside from that I think it's much easier to get within 1% of an actual (steady) tempo with averaging. That's just the way averaging works. Individual taps might be off by several percent but the average always turns out closer.

As for average vs last 2...I've used last 2 ever since it was introduced. I thought the "average" option took the average of the last 10 taps - which made it sometimes difficult to get very precise.

It averages up to 10 taps. It updates with each tap after the first and you can stop anytime.

I use one-program-per-song, with the tempo set on the program. Works for me. Name the program after the song.

But I can certainly see the benefit of putting the tempo on the screen.

Back
Top Bottom