VIDEO: Two guitars, one Axe FX II - Improv Fusion Jam - Sean Ashe & Cat Clemons

Sean Ashe

Power User
Hey everyone! I got together today with my good buddy Cat Clemons, and he was checking out my Axe FX II! So we figured out how to run two guitars into it (via the FX loop) and made a progression and just had a blast jammin over it! We hope you enjoy it :)

I am using a Sterling By Musicman JP50 guitar into the front input, and my friend Cat Clemons is going through the rear input. He is using a Fender Deluxe amp model and I am using a Boogie Mark IV Lead 2, with the gain down.

I know there is one video that explains how to do it but its still a little confusing to me.. Is there an instruction for how you guys did it?! :eek: as far as using diff amp models, how did that work out? so many questions!! lol

Guys ! This is so great i decided to take guitar lessons and contacted a few professors... i'm so far from this level, i'd love to have a third of your level ! :D

Reactions: Ole
That was excellent guys! Great playing and tones and truly enjoyable to listen to.

I would also love to see how that oatch looks. That would be great for jamming with friends. At least that way you know you'll both have access to great tone!

You guys are too kind, thank you all :)

And as far as the patch goes, we actually just made it up on the spot and didn't even save it haha!

What we did though was just put one guitar through the front and then into a reverb block into the Mesa Mark IV Lead 2, and then I just made whatever settings, and then the cab was I THINK the rectifier RW but it might have even been the 2x12s

And Cat was going through Input 2 L on the back, and then i put in the FX loop block on a separate row and then his guitar into a reverb block, into a Fender Deluxe and then one of the 2x12 cabs, but again I'm not sure which one. Then also we put reverb .

Honestly we had such an easy time dialing in the tones that we accidentally went to the next patch without saving and then came back and just made another one similar to it (again without saving)

OH also Cats guitar was panned hard left, and my guitar was panned hard right. In Protools I combined both of our tracks into one stereo track and LOADED IT with reverb (a spring reverb from PT) and then put that in the middle to give it some depth, with the volume of course pretty low so it wouldn't corrupt the mix or tones.

And @AlGrenadine, I hate to self-promote and If it's against the rules of the board I'll remove it, but I offer Skype Lessons for cheap ($15 a half hour or $25 an hour), if you're interested just send me a PM and we'll work something out :)

But seriously guys, thank you for all the kind words :)

Post the patch up please. I've been trying to figure out how to do this forever.

I threw together a quick patch that gives you the ability to plug one guitar into the front Instrument input and a second guitar into the rear Input 1 Right input (not Input 2).

I was surprised how much CPU this uses on my system - about 90% - considering how simple the grids are. It seems that you won't be able to have very complex setups with 2 guitars.

Attachments

• 2Guitars2Amps.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I threw together a quick patch that gives you the ability to plug one guitar into the front Instrument input and a second guitar into the rear Input 1 Right input (not Input 2).

I was surprised how much CPU this uses on my system - about 90% - considering how simle the grids are. It seems that you won't be able to have very complex setups with 2 guitars.

Yea we were only able to run two reverb blocks, two amp blocks, and two cab blocks and that was pretty much it. I think there might have been a delay and compressor somewhere, but they were bypassed

Yea we were only able to run two reverb blocks, two amp blocks, and two cab blocks and that was pretty much it. I think there might have been a delay and compressor somewhere, but they were bypassed

My main patches use Input 1 right for piezos and an FX Loop in for the stereo guitar synth output. I don't use an amp block for the piezos, but I have quite a few more blocks on those patches than I could put into this one. I'll have to do some more testing.

Thanks everyone for checking out our video! This was actually my first time ever using the Axe FX II, I really enjoyed it! $$$

Thanks everyone for checking out our video! This was actually my first time ever using the Axe FX II, I really enjoyed it! $$$

Ditto about everyone checking it out and for the kind words, its much appreciated :) And yea everyone Cat is actually like a vintage tube amp type of guy, and to hear him say 'yea this is really cool' really says something about the Axe haha!

Back
Top Bottom