Video Tutorial: Using Custom Harmony for Allman Brother's "Jessica"

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Here's a short video tutorial I did, all in one go tonight, about a preset I made called "AllMyBrothers."

It is similar in tone to the harmony guitars in the song "Jessica." Video walks through how I got the preset together, similar to the JimiLondon video tutorial I also did - but much shorter (<5 minutes).

The principles here can apply to making a Hotel California harmony patch, or others involving harmony that is not strictly diatonic or always 3rds, 4ths 5ths.

The Fractal Axe-Fx XL allows for 32 custom (user-defined) scales, all defined under the GLOBAL/Scales section of the Axe-Fx screen (you can't do that part in Axe-Edit). You input the note you play, and tell the Fractal what harmony you want it to play based on that input.

This preset is part of the Bonus section (Classic Rock & Blues) of my 700+ Naked Amps TonePack that features dialed presets from every amp modeled in the Fractal.

Hope you find this useful and informative!

Nice work again.

One thing cool would be if you could post all of the settings you use in the custom scale. I'm sure others would appreciate it.

JESSICA HARMONY

Been away from my gear, you guys asked for the harmonies to make this work, here they are.

To input/create, make sure you go to the front of your physical unit, hit global, then page over right until SCALES menu appears, THEN scroll Nav knob to Custom Scale #3 (since the preset in video uses that number) and change the values to match the below. Remember, you can't set global custom scale sin Axe-Edit, you must do by hand on front of unit.

If you want it in Scales location other than 3, you'll have to change the pitch block's custom harmony value to equal your chosen scale number instead of 3.

A shift = 4 (semi-tones)
A# =4
B =3
C =4
C# =3
D =4
D# =4
E =5
F =4
F# =5
G =4
G# =4

This is a fun preset to play in the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack!

nice job man, sounds great!

i'll add a little bit of extra info here - you may be wondering why autinbuddy has set values for the notes he's not going to use...for example the F won't feature at all in the jessica tune, but he has set a value of 4. it's worth setting up values for the notes in between the scale tones you're going to use and making those values close to the values either side to maintain consistency through bends and slides. if you gliss off the D# towards your target note of E, you don't want the harmony for the D# to be set at zero (a D#) and then have it jump up to an A when you hit the E.

JESSICA HARMONY

Been away from my gear, you guys asked for the harmonies to make this work, here they are.

To input/create, make sure you go to the front of your physical unit, hit global, then page over right until SCALES menu appears, THEN scroll Nav knob to Custom Scale #3 (since the preset in video uses that number) and change the values to match the below. Remember, you can't set global custom scale sin Axe-Edit, you must do by hand on front of unit.

If you want it in Scales location other than 3, you'll have to change the pitch block's custom harmony value to equal your chosen scale number instead of 3.

A shift = 4 (semi-tones)
A# =4
B =3
C =4
C# =3
D =4
D# =4
E =5
F =4
F# =5
G =4
G# =4

This is a fun preset to play in the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack!

WOW!! I've had a Fractal for 3 years and until you posted this I never knew how to set up global scales. I am forever grateful!!!

Back
Top Bottom