Video Tutorial on post-processing of Axe FX recordings

I am interested in a video tutorial on post-processing of Axe FX recordings...

• Total voters
Shouldn't you just post process an axe recorded track like you would process a mic'd amp track??

I said in that same post that the other 30% of the time I'm just doing a basic mastering pass in Ozone....

To be clear, I'm talking only about Axe tones heard solo (i.e. alone) in videos, here.
Most people's concern comes from thinking people are sweetening raw Axe-Fx tones to make them sound better, which I don't. That was my point.

If the guitar is mixed with other instruments into a song, sure, every one in a while I do some eq-ing. That's what mixing is. But it's really rare that I touch the Axe-Fx tone with EQ.

No, I basically never use EQ on Axe-Fx tracks. Maybe one out of every 20 videos. Usually I dial the tone in from the beginning to sound the way I want it to sit in the mix. That just takes practice, but it's not too difficult.

For example, this video...

No post processing on any guitar tones, either solo'd playing or in the intro song mix. Just raw Axe-Fx powahhh.

makes sense, and more what i was trying to say. sorry wasn't trying to speak for you :) doing way too many FAS things at once and typing too fast :D

There's many resources already out there, and yeah you can treat Axe-FX tracks just like any other mic'd up guitar tracks. Check out:

Creative Live: https://www.creativelive.com/audio
JSF podcast / nail the mix: http://jsfpodcast.com/
Kush audio podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ubk-happy-funtime-hour/id870654646?mt=2
www.gearslutz.com
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forums/andy-sneap/

Etc.etc. I'm sure there are many more! Ola Englund had some good ones on YouTube I can recall...

I just add Ozone 5 to the mix Post, 99% of the time and that's it. I use the Maximizer and some EQ 99% of the time when using Ozone. I mostly play Heavy Metal.

I also don't apply much if anything to the Axe takes... and I also use Ozone 7. Just using the EQ matching feature to match other professionally produced tracks usually gets me 90% of the way there instantly. Add some dynamics/compression (with automatin and sometimes sidechaining) and limiter. Sometimes stereo imaging, sometimes not.

Speaking of stereo imaging, I have a question about this. Say I double track a guitar riff and pan each take 100% hard R/L instead of 50% or 75%. If I apply a an additional stereo imager plugin to the final mix, will this have any negative impact on tracks that are already maxed out to one side of the stereo field? Could it potentially alter the wav and introduce phase issues? Sometimes I think I can hear bad things happening (especially if the guitar patch has any hint of modulation effects); other times I can't tell a difference one way or another.

Just curious.

I can't answer your question but I've noticed recently (after recording for years exclusively in stereo tracks) that you can get some real wide sounds from using a mono track panned hard left or right.
It's a noob mistake on my part I know....I also over do everything. I understand music production is a bottomless bucket I'll never see the end of.

Speaking of stereo imaging, I have a question about this. Say I double track a guitar riff and pan each take 100% hard R/L instead of 50% or 75%. If I apply a an additional stereo imager plugin to the final mix, will this have any negative impact on tracks that are already maxed out to one side of the stereo field? Could it potentially alter the wav and introduce phase issues? Sometimes I think I can hear bad things happening (especially if the guitar patch has any hint of modulation effects); other times I can't tell a difference one way or another.

Just curious.

Hi Etudica,

Any time you use imaging plugins you risk phasing when you go beyond 100% on the width controls.
Primarily, you want to use imagers last in line after stereo effects. Though you can use imaging on your tracks, you want to be careful because when you push things beyond 100% L/R you not only can pick up phasing, you can separate the instruments from your mix. What may sound good spread out in headphones is most likely going to sound bad on real speakers. Always be careful with wide pans, especially on drums. You'll wreck a mix in seconds with imagers and instruments that are too wide. Stay away from that stuff unless you absolutely need it or for sections in a mix where you may be adding special effects. :)

Back
Top Bottom