Video tutorial on loading the new V5 preset banks on to your Axe FX

yesfan said:
I am having the same issue. I tried everything. I also noticed with the 5.1 update all my heavy patches have a lot more noise? Maybe when I get the new presets in it will go away. I and a few others are having another problem that we posted in the axe edit bugs section but got no anwers. Axe edit keeps resending syx files over and over every ten seconds or so and freezing up the machine. Also when you first turn it on the preset always says freeform. I am going to bed but any help for the new day would be appreciated. Thanks.

I see 'Freeform' on the Axe Edit screen when no source has been selected. When you drop down 'Source' and select axe fx, do you then see all you presets in the drop down? Maybe the issue is in communication between the computer and Axe FX.

If your Axe FX is connected correctly, on the main screen when you drop down 'Source' and select Axe FX, you will see the presets shown in the drop-down to the right, as I show them at the very beginning of the video.

If it is connected correctly, it sounds like you're only copying a single preset and not the whole bank... In Axe Manage, when you go up to the very top section on the left hand side and expand Axe FX, then select the bank you are copying the presets into, are any of those presets green after the copy? This is where I was showing them turning green one at a time.

I seem to be having the same problem with downloading a bank of presets to the AxeII. In all other regards, the communication between Axe-Edit and the AxeII appears flawless. I can update the AxeII firmware, audition presets etc. without problems but when trying to download a bank of presets, definitely only the first preset of the bank turns green.

Here are the results of trying to update bank A:

(1) Set Axe-Manage to view two windows. One is AXE-EDIT->Banks and the other is AxeFx\BankA
(2) Right click on V5_bankA.syx->Send to AxeFx-> This Bank->Select Bank A and Save
(3) Title bar of Axe-Manage shows the rotating Fractal logo the status message increments all the way up to Status:Sysex Send: 93% where it stays for 15 seconds before showing SYSEX_PATCH_END: OK and then back to Status: Axe-Fx : II : 5.01 :ID = 00 01 74. During this step the progress bar at the bottom the of Axe-Manage window reached 100%.
(4) In the second Axe-Manage window that is pointed to AxeFx\BankA, only 000 59 Bassguy turned green. Back in Axe-Edit the same result is confirmed via the drop down near to "Source: Axe-Fx"

It seems like there is maybe a timeout of some kind after sending one preset after which Axe-Manage gives up. My AxeFx II and cable configuration seem fine since with another computer (Mac) everything works as expected for a complete preset bank. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be wrong with the XP configuration?

New to the forum but shouldn't this be a stickied thread? Got my AxeFXII today and it came loaded with 4.0 so I was thankful to find this thread, really should be stickied.

Nice Manny. You have a knack for communicating complex ideas in a simplified manner. I hope you'll continue to add these videos. You know what they say.... a picture tells a thousand stories. For me personally, seeing it is waaaaaaaay better than reading about it.
Thanks for your contributions.

I seem to be having the same problem with downloading a bank of presets to the AxeII. In all other regards, the communication between Axe-Edit and the AxeII appears flawless. I can update the AxeII firmware, audition presets etc. without problems but when trying to download a bank of presets, definitely only the first preset of the bank turns green.

(1) Set Axe-Manage to view two windows. One is AXE-EDIT->Banks and the other is AxeFx\BankA
(2) Right click on V5_bankA.syx->Send to AxeFx-> This Bank->Select Bank A and Save
(3) Title bar of Axe-Manage shows the rotating Fractal logo the status message increments all the way up to Status:Sysex Send: 93% where it stays for 15 seconds before showing SYSEX_PATCH_END: OK and then back to Status: Axe-Fx : II : 5.01 :ID = 00 01 74. During this step the progress bar at the bottom the of Axe-Manage window reached 100%.
(4) In the second Axe-Manage window that is pointed to AxeFx\BankA, only 000 59 Bassguy turned green. Back in Axe-Edit the same result is confirmed via the drop down near to "Source: Axe-Fx"

It seems like there is maybe a timeout of some kind after sending one preset after which Axe-Manage gives up. My AxeFx II and cable configuration seem fine since with another computer (Mac) everything works as expected for a complete preset bank. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be wrong with the XP configuration?

I am not sure if the following will help you, but nevertheless:
1) Delete your Axe-Edit.settings file (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.settings); remember "Application Data" is (by default) a hidden directory.
2) Open Axe-Edit (not Axe-Manage) (select your workspace again) and look for Source; select Bank File; browse to your bank file; then look for save as; then option send Bank to Hardware; choose which bank (A, B or C) to overwrite; press save.

Let us know if it works (it's basically the same procedure, but we have to try something).

Last edited:
I'm amazed that after 5 pages no one has requested your "Wicked Manny" patch! The name alone is reason enough to be curious.

I am still trying to figure this out. If you find a solution let me know. Thanks. I tried guitar georges advise but it didnt work for me.

I am not sure if the following will help you, but nevertheless:
1) Delete your Axe-Edit.settings file (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.settings); remember "Application Data" is (by default) a hidden directory.
2) Open Axe-Edit (not Axe-Manage) (select your workspace again) and look for Source; select Bank File; browse to your bank file; then look for save as; then option send Bank to Hardware; choose which bank (A, B or C) to overwrite; press save.

Let us know if it works (it's basically the same procedure, but we have to try something).

Thanks for your suggestions guitargeorge, especially the alternate method of loading presets directly from Axe-Edit. When I "Send Bank to Hardware" in Axe-Edit I get a MIDI I/O dialog which shows the progress of sending the bank to hardware bank A. Unfortunately this screen never gets past the 1% mark. So that is most definitely a problem, but still not sure how to fix it?

question: are all of you that have this issue on XP ? if so, 32-bit or 64-bit, or is it happening on both ?

Thanks for your suggestions guitargeorge, especially the alternate method of loading presets directly from Axe-Edit. When I "Send Bank to Hardware" in Axe-Edit I get a MIDI I/O dialog which shows the progress of sending the bank to hardware bank A. Unfortunately this screen never gets past the 1% mark. So that is most definitely a problem, but still not sure how to fix it?

If I understood you correctly, then everything works fine, except the MIDI-transfer. Did you test (for example) to upload just one preset (instead of the whole bank)? Right now I'm running Win7 (x64); so I cannot test it on WinXP (perhaps I have some time this weekend and run WinXP as a virtual machine).

I'm having exactly the same issue.

Again, same issue here. I'm on XP.

OK; if you need more help; then we need some more information. s0c9 already asked if you are all using WinXP (the answers seem to be yes) and what architecture (x86 or x86-64) are you using? Did you try to upload just one preset and if so; was it successful? Are you using the default MIDI-settings (MIDI buffer size / MIDI buffer delay)?

OK; if you need more help; then we need some more information. s0c9 already asked if you are all using WinXP (the answers seem to be yes) and what architecture (x86 or x86-64) are you using? Did you try to upload just one preset and if so; was it successful? Are you using the default MIDI-settings (MIDI buffer size / MIDI buffer delay)?

I can move one preset at a time and save it to the Axe. Default settings in Axe Edit. Don't know what 'architecture' I'm using.

I'm using XP on x86. Transfer of a single preset works just fine. Yes I've tried changing the MIDI buffer size, but that did not appear to help. For me in the Axe-Fx MIDI I/O tab, the advanced section lets me change the MIDI buffer size but the delay control beneath (Axe-Fx II USB) is sometimes greyed out, and other times I can change the value. Either way when I am able to change the value to something other than 0 ms, it doesn't seem to take since when I leave the settings dialog and then come back to it, the buffer delay value is reset to 0 ms.

The buffer delay may indeed be the key. When I updated my MFC-101 (via MIDI-OX) I did need to increase the buffer delay significantly for a successful transfer. How do I go about changing the buffer delay in Axe-Edit and making it stick?

I can move one preset at a time and save it to the Axe. Default settings in Axe Edit. Don't know what 'architecture' I'm using.

It's the question that s0c9 asked; is your O.S. a 32-bit or 64-bit O.S.? (you can check this (for example) by right-clicking on computer (in the start-menu), select properties and see what system type you have. But for now I'm going to assume that it will be a 32-bit system (like the other forum-members participating in this thread).

I'm using XP on x86. Transfer of a single preset works just fine. Yes I've tried changing the MIDI buffer size, but that did not appear to help. For me in the Axe-Fx MIDI I/O tab, the advanced section lets me change the MIDI buffer size but the delay control beneath (Axe-Fx II USB) is sometimes greyed out, and other times I can change the value. Either way when I am able to change the value to something other than 0 ms, it doesn't seem to take since when I leave the settings dialog and then come back to it, the buffer delay value is reset to 0 ms.

The buffer delay may indeed be the key. When I updated my MFC-101 (via MIDI-OX) I did need to increase the buffer delay significantly for a successful transfer. How do I go about changing the buffer delay in Axe-Edit and making it stick?

If you did not change the default MIDI-settings, then I do not think this should be a problem. Just to make sure; the default settings are:
  • MIDI Buffer size = 256
  • MIDI Buffer Delay = 0 ms

You can check this by opening Axe-Edit and look for settings, then MIDI settings and on the MIDI-tab page you should immediately see what those settings are.

I will try later on to see if I can reproduce your issue/problem. It would be nice if someone on this forum with an WinXP-system could tell us if he/she did not have any problems with uploading the banks, then at least we would know that the issue could be solved (we could compare those systems with yours and look for any differences).

Last edited:
I just tested the above issue and I can confirm that the upload of banks to the Axe-Fx 2 did not work on my WinXPSP3 (x86) system. The WinXP system was a "clean" system (so only the O.S., with Axe USB-driver and of course Axe-Edit installed; no other software). I am not sure what exactly the problem is; I only tried to upload the banks and haven't performed extensive testing regarding the WinXP system.
This thread http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-edit-wishes-bugs/47080-bug-cant-upload-banks-axe-ii-axe-edit.html also confirmes the issue with WinXP.
@Bantam, yesfan and kaos7: For the time being I cannot help you.

Last edited:
I just tested the above issue and I can confirm that the upload of banks to the Axe-Fx 2 did not work on my WinXPSP3 (x86) system. The WinXP system was a "clean" system (so only the O.S., with Axe USB-driver and of course Axe-Edit installed; no other software). I am not sure what exactly the problem is; I only tried to upload the banks and haven't performed extensive testing regarding the WinXP system.
This thread http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-edit-wishes-bugs/47080-bug-cant-upload-banks-axe-ii-axe-edit.html also confirmes the issue with WinXP.
@Bantam, yesfan and kaos7: For the time being I cannot help you.

guitargeorge, yes the midi buffer size and delay are 256 and zero respectively. It's at least a start that you can duplicate the problem. Thanks for your efforts.

guitargeorge, yes the midi buffer size and delay are 256 and zero respectively. It's at least a start that you can duplicate the problem. Thanks for your efforts.
Can you change those values to 128/90 and see if that makes a difference ?

Back
Top Bottom