Video tutorial on loading the new V5 preset banks on to your Axe FX

guitargeorge said:
I believe that your video does help a lot of people; so keep up the good work! (and you absolutely correctly derived my alias from "Sultans of Swing". I grew up with Dire Straits; to me it's timeless music)

Thanks Guitar George. Don't get me started about Mark Knopfler, he's one of my favorites!

thank you thank you

all these years i actually never knew how to do this correctly!

now with the Axe 2 and the great axe edit working so well together i can add this part and be complete

this

completes me

EightmanVT said:
Yes - The output indicating LED's on the Axe - no longer show a signal output - and likewise - I no longer have a signal input to Reaper via USB.

The LEDs on the front are input level not output. Are those the LEDs you are talking about? If those aren't going up your not getting input from your guitar. Check volume knob, cable etc...

The LEDs on the front are input level not output. Are those the LEDs you are talking about? If those aren't going up your not getting input from your guitar. Check volume knob, cable etc...

Ugh - yes. I don't know why I just made the assumption that the second row were output indicators - I have good input - the same as before - but wasn't getting any input to Reaper. I just restarted reaper - which seems to have solved my problem. I guess I should have tried that out of the gate but for some reason my feeble brain told me I had been seeing output indicators previously - when in fact...I had not. :eek:ops

EightmanVT said:
Ugh - yes. I don't know why I just made the assumption that the second row were output indicators - I have good input - the same as before - but wasn't getting any input to Reaper. I just restarted reaper - which seems to have solved my problem. I guess I should have tried that out of the gate but for some reason my feeble brain told me I had been seeing output indicators previously - when in fact...I had not. :eek:ops

No worries, just glad you're up and running. Have fun!

I went ahead and just installed the new bank A and every preset I looked at had the speaker motor set to 0 in the cab block. Doesn't seem quite right to me.

Am I an idiot or just special here?

I went ahead and just installed the new bank A and every preset I looked at had the speaker motor set to 0 in the cab block. Doesn't seem quite right to me.

Am I an idiot or just special here?

One, you're not an idiot. Two, you're special but only in the 'we're all gods children' way like your second grade teacher told you. :) Three, are you talking about Speaker Drive in the Amp block or Motor Drive in the Cab block? I'm not familiar with Speaker Motor...

Lastly, did you reset your amps after you put the new presets in place?

The reason I ask is because when you reset the amp, Speaker Drive gets set to zero. This is not the setting in the presets provided by Fractal, but it is the setting you receive when reseting the amp. Also, come to find out you can reset the amp by double clicking the recall button on the front of the unit. I learned all of this from Yek in my other tutorial thread:
See post #33 http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/46631-first-steps-building-custom-presets-using-firmware-5s-new-features.html

Last edited:
I'm talking about Speaker Motor in the cab section. I was under the impression that this was the third parameter added (dynamics, speaker drive in the amp block and speaker motor in the cab block) and I know that before I touched it they sounded nice, but adjusting it took it to a whole new level.

shasha said:
I'm talking about Speaker Motor in the cab section. I was under the impression that this was the third parameter added (dynamics, speaker drive in the amp block and speaker motor in the cab block) and I know that before I touched it they sounded nice, but adjusting it took it to a whole new level.

Hmmm, I'm not sure why I see 'Motor Drive' in the Cab section and you see 'Speaker Motor', but let's expect were talking about the same parameter. This is set to zero for my preset A0 and A1 but goes up to 4.35 on preset A2 which is Brownface. Is this showing zero for you? What happens when you preview that same preset from the V5_bankA preset file you placed in the Banks section of Axe Manage? If it's 4.35 there, but not on your Axe FX, you might want to copy them over again.

Hope it helps.

FYI: This video tutorial has been updated to cover the backup of existing banks as well as moving your custom presets back over to the Axe FX II once the preset bank updates have completed.

Hope it helps

Manny

When I update my banks as you have done, it does not go through the presets in the selected bank one by one, but quickly shows a progress bar at the bottom of the Axe Manage window. This bar shows the progress in about 5 to 10 seconds and then it's done. Is there something I am missing? In your video, it shows each individual preset being copied to the Axe FX.

I am running the Axe FX II via USB as you are in your video. I am connected properly (I think).

Last edited:
nicolassal said:
When I update my banks as you have done, it does not go through the presets in the selected bank one by one, but quickly shows a progress bar at the bottom of the Axe Manage window. This bar shows the progress in about 5 to 10 seconds and then it's done. Is there something I am missing? In your video, it shows each individual preset being copied to the Axe FX.

I am running the Axe FX II via USB as you are in your video. I am connected properly (I think).

If your Axe FX is connected correctly, on the main screen when you drop down 'Source' and select Axe FX, you will see the presets shown in the drop-down to the right, as I show them at the very beginning of the video.

If it is connected correctly, it sounds like you're only copying a single preset and not the whole bank... In Axe Manage, when you go up to the very top section on the left hand side and expand Axe FX, then select the bank you are copying the presets into, are any of those presets green after the copy? This is where I was showing them turning green one at a time.

If your Axe FX is connected correctly, on the main screen when you drop down 'Source' and select Axe FX, you will see the presets shown in the drop-down to the right, as I show them at the very beginning of the video.

If it is connected correctly, it sounds like you're only copying a single preset and not the whole bank... In Axe Manage, when you go up to the very top section on the left hand side and expand Axe FX, then select the bank you are copying the presets into, are any of those presets green after the copy? This is where I was showing them turning green one at a time.

Thanks for your response. I have just figured out that it must be something to do with my windows XP machine. I tried it with my windows 7 machine and everything worked perfectly. I think it's time to upgrade the XP machine!

Thanks again!

Thanks for your response. I have just figured out that it must be something to do with my windows XP machine. I tried it with my windows 7 machine and everything worked perfectly. I think it's time to upgrade the XP machine!

Thanks again!

I am having the same issue. I tried everything. I also noticed with the 5.1 update all my heavy patches have a lot more noise? Maybe when I get the new presets in it will go away. I and a few others are having another problem that we posted in the axe edit bugs section but got no anwers. Axe edit keeps resending syx files over and over every ten seconds or so and freezing up the machine. Also when you first turn it on the preset always says freeform. I am going to bed but any help for the new day would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom