Video tutorial on loading the new V5 preset banks on to your Axe FX

Manny Fufish

Power User
Whenever new banks get posted, there are often questions on the forum on how to move these new preset banks over to the Axe FX.

This video walkthrough will take you through all of the steps.

EDIT: this video tutorial has been updated to cover the backup of existing banks as well as moving custom presets back on to the Axe FX II.

Backup, Update, and Recovery, of Axe II Presets

Hope it helps.

Manny

Last edited:
Very good. I suggest placing a link to this on the WIKI as a 'generic' how to load banks (i.e. not just V5...)

Thanks for that, will help many folks!

Ron

Error image size on Bank C for loading for me?

A,B, its ok.

I found my mistake alone.

capturevo.jpg

It's ok now,excuse me for my error.

Last edited:
Error image size on Bank C for loading for me?

A,B, its ok.

I found my mistake alone.

capturevo.jpg

It's ok now,excuse me for my error.

OK is this illustration saying that this is how you had it set up and the RED is how it should be? Or, is this how you fixed it and the RED is how it was???

romanianreaper said:
Will the 5.0 presets load automatically with firmware update?

No, you have to go through this process if you want the updated presets. Firmware and preset banks are separate components on the Axe FX.

Thanks for the quick tutorial. Such a simple process and I've been doing it wrong which has resulted in my presets NOT getting updated. No wonder I have not been getting all the benefits of the various FW updates.... I was getting a bit frustrated with the Axe II and this was a life saver.

Thank you so much for this. FW5 is my first upgrade and I was literally just searching the Wiki for this process( and could not find it) when I was your post.

So what if you have existing presets that are saved and you don't want to delete. These are presets I've named and created myself. Do I have to create everything again?

So what if you have existing presets that are saved and you don't want to delete. These are presets I've named and created myself. Do I have to create everything again?

You can save your own presets (for example to your local computer-drive or USB-drive or whatever). I would (strongly) advice you to do so. If you upload the v.5 banks (A, B and C); it will overwrite your own created presets. You can use Axe-Manage to save your own created presets or (for example) use just Axe-Edit to save it (look for "save as" and then for "export to preset file").

You can save your own presets (for example to your local computer-drive or USB-drive or whatever). I would (strongly) advice you to do so. If you upload the v.5 banks (A, B and C); it will overwrite your own created presets. You can use Axe-Manage to save your own created presets or (for example) use just Axe-Edit to save it (look for "save as" and then for "export to preset file").

Thanks for the reply so basically as long as you save your presets its not a problem. And then I just need to tweak if needed. I was just wondering to get a firmware 5 sound all presets must be created within the new firmware to match but that's obviously not the case. Presets are just tweaked to compensate for the different firmware version?

You can also use the Backup/sync feature - that will create a complete backup of each Bank - which will include YOUR presets - and drop them into the Utilities | Backups location in AxeManage. You can load up the factory banks, then come back to the backups location, open the backup bank that contains YOUR presets, select (highlight) those presets that you want to send back to the Axe, right-click and select Send to Axe-Fx | Selected presets menu items.

You can also use the Backup/sync feature - that will create a complete backup of each Bank - which will include YOUR presets - and drop them into the Utilities | Backups location in AxeManage. You can load up the factory banks, then come back to the backups location, open the backup bank that contains YOUR presets, select (highlight) those presets that you want to send back to the Axe, right-click and select Send to Axe-Fx | Selected presets menu items.

Yes; it's one of many methods to do so.

You're very welcome, to everyone who found this useful above. I'm really glad it helped.

Thanks to s0c9 and Guitar George (who obviously knows more then just "all the chords") for the method of handling custom presets. I should have mentioned a quick backup of banks you have adjusted in my video. I was going to redo it to fix a couple things, but I wanted to play through these new presets myself :). Now I have to figure out how to overwrite, or update, an existing vid on you tube so I can post my updated version in its place... If I can't do that, I will post a new one and edit my link at the beginning of this post.

You're very welcome, to everyone who found this useful above. I'm really glad it helped.

Thanks to s0c9 and Guitar George (who obviously knows more then just "all the chords") for the method of handling custom presets. I should have mentioned a quick backup of banks you have adjusted in my video. I was going to redo it to fix a couple things, but I wanted to play through these new presets myself :). Now I have to figure out how to overwrite, or update, an existing vid on you tube so I can post my updated version in its place... If I can't do that, I will post a new one and edit my link at the beginning of this post.
Recently IMMORTALIZED in the wiki (by me)... thanks Manny!!
Updating Factory Presets - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I
'll update the vid link if you post a new one :)

Last edited:
Reactions: yek

I believe that your video does help a lot of people; so keep up the good work! (and you absolutely correctly derived my alias from "Sultans of Swing". I grew up with Dire Straits; to me it's timeless music)

Back
Top Bottom