Video tutorial: how to dial in a Jimi/London '67 Preset on your Axe-Fx

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi everyone,

This is one of those iconic tones I've chased for years, from Jimi's first album. JTM into 20 watt Greenbacks with a mid-60's Strat. But instead of simply giving a preset away, instead I wanted to do a detailed video explaining how to dial Jimi's recorded sound in, and show what adjustments to make in the amp block, and how to mix some IRs together using Cab Lab 3 to get "that first album recorded sound." So here ya go!

Hope you enjoy it! My plan is publish more how-to Fractal videos step-by-step, to help people understand all the tone-sculpting tools this amazing Fractal technology offers us! I've started a blog on my new website www.austinbuddy.com with other video how-tos and details.

For example, just finished a "700+ Naked Amps TonePack". It features every single fractal modeled amp is dialed-in, matched to cabs, and DRY - with sets ready for Axe-Fx types or AX8. Each amp presets has at least two scenes, and preset names are organized by their actual amp name. There are three banks in the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack:

1. Vintage & Boutique and Bass (128 presets X 2 Scenes each, one scene lower gain and one higher). Whats' nice is that the Vintage section is arranged chronologically from early Tweeds into early 70's Marshalls. I'm a Vintage amp guy and want to prove once and for all it CAN reproduce those classic vintage amp recorded tones.

2. Modern Amps (128 presets X 2 Scenes, usually each medium to higher gain), and

3. Cleans (101 presets X 2 Scenes). I dialed in crisper cleans (Scene1) and warmer cleans (Scene 2)using all the amps that had usable clean channels.

Each amp is in mono and each preset has an Output2 FX Loop for those using power amps and your own speakers. The Naked Amps TonePack also includes a Bonus "Classic Rock and Blues" TonePack of 40 iconic tone presets I dialed-in of iconic guitar sounds -- that's relevant to this post because that includes a subset of presets specifically designed for reproducing the tones on neatly every song on Jimi's first album, along with the necessary multiple-mic mix RedWirez IR from their BigBox collection that RedWirez has kindly allowed me to legally share to all who buy the pack!

Instead of yakking more here, check it all out (including sound clips) both here and here. I'll get a proper video promo out.

My purpose here is simple: I believe in the democratization of great guitar tone -- and the Fractal lets you do that. That's why I spent the last six months putting all this together for my fellow Fractal-ites! ENJOY!

Last edited:
Looking forward to watching the video when I get home...

Question on the preset pack: will there be updates relative to Fractal firmware updates or is this pretty much a "point in time" pack?

The amount of work and attention for detail that went into @austinbuddy's TonePack is unbelievable.
700+ carefully crafted presets. For a more than reasonable price.

And you get the IR, which easily is one of the best-sounding Marshall IRs available, IMHO.

There are lots of libraries available, from respected vendors who know tone. Each has its own merits.
The unique selling points of Buddy's TonePack are its sheer size, the fact that every amp is represented, his focus on the basics (amp and cab), and that he has everything dialed in at performance levels.

So turn up the volume to hear the tones as intended!

The amount of work and attention for detail that went into @austinbuddy's TonePack is unbelievable.
700+ carefully crafted presets. For a more than reasonable price.

And you get the IR, which easily is one of the best-sounding Marshall IRs available, IMHO.

There are lots of libraries available, from respected vendors who know tone. Each has its own merits.
The unique selling points of Buddy's TonePack are its sheer size, the fact that every amp is represented, his focus on the basics (amp and cab), and that he has everything dialed in at performance levels.

So turn up the volume to hear the tones as intended!

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

It's unfortunate that the praise for this video is being spread among 3 different threads.

Back
Top Bottom