Video : tonematching a Kemper

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
It's a public holiday here in Mauritius, and I was bored, so...

Here's some tonematches of Kemper profiles I made. I'm not trying to deliver 100 % identical clone sounds here : being in the ballpark is enough for me ; I did this for the fun, as I love to experiment. With my cover bands I use my own presets.

My tonematching method involves capturing the "cab" of the Kemper first with the Axe-Fx II IR capture utility. Then I load this IR in the cab block, select the Axe amp model which is closer to the one in the Kemper profile, I tweak it to make it closer sounding to the profile that I can (in 5-10 minutes usually, I'm not obsessing over it), and finalize the preset with the tonematch block, using the "Amp matching template" preset. So this is a live tonematch, not an offline one.

As some of these profiles are commercial ones, from Michael Britt (the best !), Amp Factory or Michael Wagener, I'm not sharing these presets so don't ask ;)

Hello,
Good job.
Would you have an exemple with clear and light crunsh sounds ?
I would be very interessed to hear some great profiles from theampfactory for example or others, but with clear and crunsh.
It is with this kind of sounds that the kemper is best expressed.
Thank.

Last edited:
Are you using the mic out balanced or quarter inch out unbalanced of the kemper to the axe? The axe ins per cliffs video are balanced which makes me think I need a balanced mic cable with quarter inch on end

It's a public holiday here in Mauritius, and I was bored, so...

Here's some tonematches of Kemper profiles I made. I'm not trying to deliver 100 % identical clone sounds here : being in the ballpark is enough for me ; I did this for the fun, as I love to experiment. With my cover bands I use my own presets.

My tonematching method involves capturing the "cab" of the Kemper first with the Axe-Fx II IR capture utility. Then I load this IR in the cab block, select the Axe amp model which is closer to the one in the Kemper profile, I tweak it to make it closer sounding to the profile that I can (in 5-10 minutes usually, I'm not obsessing over it), and finalize the preset with the tonematch block, using the "Amp matching template" preset. So this is a live tonematch, not an offline one.

As some of these profiles are commercial ones, from Michael Britt (the best !), Amp Factory or Michael Wagener, I'm not sharing these presets so don't ask ;)

Looking at your Tone Match EQ curves, you did a GREAT job dialing in the initial presets. Those are impressively flat, really. You clearly have an awesome ear for frequency response.

Thank you for the answer. Second question. My tone matches sound pretty good except the kemper seems to be clearer and sharper. Is there some setting that I'm doing wrong? I've tone matched a lot of profiles now and I notice this with many/almost all of the profiles. No matter how much I tweak the axe isn't as clear. There's a tight sound of the original profile that gets lost... I notice it a lot on the low e where it seems to be more muffled. Is there an amp setting I need to tweak

quarter inch out unbalanced... but it does not matter

Thank you for the answer. Second question. My tone matches sound pretty good except the kemper seems to be clearer and sharper. Is there some setting that I'm doing wrong? I've tone matched a lot of profiles now and I notice this with many/almost all of the profiles. No matter how much I tweak the axe isn't as clear. There's a tight sound of the original profile that gets lost... I notice it a lot on the low e where it seems to be more muffled. Is there an amp setting I need to tweak
Are you doing a live mode tone match? If you have the other unit you are matching on hand the live tonematch is more accurate regardless of the device being matched (i.e. Kemper, amp, whatever). Notice that Fremen is using live mode as per the OP.

Can you share any that aren't bought ones? You have some great ones!
Unfortunately all are either in my Quantum 2.0 presets, or the special pack I send to those who buy my band's album

Looking at your Tone Match EQ curves, you did a GREAT job dialing in the initial presets. Those are impressively flat, really. You clearly have an awesome ear for frequency response.
Thanks ! Amp matching by ear is an interesting exercise

Did you capture the cab first ?

Ok so I started profiling live mode /cabs only but some rigs are sounding flat. I noticed some of my amp + cabinet matches sound better depending on rig

Ok I didn't realize this but apparently it's acceptable to profile both ways. I'm noticing if I don't tone match the whole amp it sounds terrible. The one that I tone matched today with the cab only still didn't sound right. I profiled it about 20 times adjusting settings. Finally I selected a different amp and tonematch the amp and cabinet. Now it's very close. Strangely the cabinet only tone matches sound so flat to me. I spent lots of time trying to select the correct amp and adjusting the settings and nothing happened. I knew the tone matched amp was a mesa boogie and the cab only didn't sound good with it. Very confused why the stock amp heads aren't matching the amps that belong with them. I even scroll through all the other amps and nothing matches... It will sound like static

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom