Video: The Power Of A Single Preset [updated 2018 video]

What's the reason for running all the effects between the AMP and CAB block?

I usually run the AMP and CAB block straight after each other (like a 'real' setup), so I'm curious as to whether or not there is a difference.

Yes, that's indeed to be able to feed a power amp and cabinet.

So now I'm dreaming about a GT 16. I really want the ability to do all the IAs for effect on/off switching I do now with the MFC-101 AND the ability to X/Y switch those same blocks.

Sir, do you have any links to good reference material for programming the RJM? I bought a GT16 recently and would like to see what it is capable of (your video shows MANY worthy concepts) and how to go about programming the buttons.

Thanks,

Kent

Thanks, Alexander.

It's humorous to me that the best place for configuring the RJM is right here on the Fractal Wiki! I was looking in all of the wrong places.

Thanks again. :encouragement:

Hmm, how can it NOT have sound difference? If chorus, reverb and delay outputs go through the cab block, doesn't it affect their frequency response? It'll cut highs quite dramatically, won't it?

Those efx before or after the cab block will sound the same (if you don't use any non-linear cab block settings like motor drive or preamp drive / saturation).

He wasn't saying the chain without a cab block would sound like the chain with the cab block. Just the position of the efx before or after the cab block produces the same audio.

Those efx before or after the cab block will sound the same (if you don't use any non-linear cab block settings like motor drive or preamp drive / saturation).

He wasn't saying the chain without a cab block would sound like the chain with the cab block. Just the position of the efx before or after the cab block produces the same audio.

Yes, I get what he's saying, I just don't get how this is possible.

Yes, I get what he's saying, I just don't get how this is possible.
If two blocks are linear and time-invariant, then the output will be the same, no matter what order they're in. The Cab block is time-invariant, and it's also linear I'd you're not overdriving its preamp sim.

If two blocks are linear and time-invariant, then the output will be the same, no matter what order they're in. The Cab block is time-invariant, and it's also linear I'd you're not overdriving its preamp sim.

A guitar cabinet may be "linear" (although I'm not quite sure what you mean by that), but at the very least it isn't an FRFR device so it applies an EQ to the incoming signal. And so does the cab block in Axe FX, I would think. No?

A guitar cabinet may be "linear" (although I'm not quite sure what you mean by that), but at the very least it isn't an FRFR device so it applies an EQ to the incoming signal. And so does the cab block in Axe FX, I would think. No?

No. It's in the wiki, cab block section. Discussed time and time again

Sure it applies an EQ. But it doesn't matter where in the chain you put it; it still sounds the same, as long as you're swapping it around either other linear, time-invariant blocks.

No. It's in the wiki, cab block section. Discussed time and time again

Sorry, I'm new here so I haven't seen those discussions before. Thanks for pointing me to the Wiki. But here's what I have found there:

Cliff's comments: ## "The difference in having the cabinet before or after the effects is usually subtle. It depends on how non-linear or time-variant the effect is. For effects like EQ, which are linear and time-invariant, it doesn't matter at all. For slightly time-variant effects like chorus and flanger the difference isn't very pronounced. For highly time-variant effects, like pitch shifting, the difference can be marked."

So, unless I'm missing something, it does matter whether you put some effects before or after the cab block.

Sure it applies an EQ. But it doesn't matter where in the chain you put it; it still sounds the same, as long as you're swapping it around either other linear, time-invariant blocks.

Well, if it does apply an EQ then it does matter where you put it. Because some effects may introduce harmonics in high frequencies which will be simply cut off by a cab block, linear or not.

Back
Top Bottom