Video: The Power Of A Single Preset [updated 2018 video]

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
EDIT: I added an updated video, because things changed over the years.

I want to show the awesome flexibility and power provided by a single Axe-Fx II preset (XL), the RJM Mastermind GT/22 controller and a single exp.pedal.
This setup lets me recall pre-defined sounds while still allowing me to change stuff on the fly.

Note that a MFC-101 is also capable of doing a lot of stuff shown in the video.

It's a "one shot" video, mainly because I didn't want to re-record and edit afterwards. I hate making videos...
So I know my voice should be louder, I should have prevented audio clipping, it's too long indeed, etc. etc.
I'll do better with the next one, in a few years.

I forgot some things I planned to mention in the video, among others:

• I can switch between AMP blocks within a preset, using the "AMP 1" and "AMP 2" buttons on page 2.
  • I show in the demo I can change between the Fender and Matchless models in the AMP 1 block, through the "AMP1 X/Y" switch (page 2). I can do the same with AMP2, switching between Friedman and Plexi SLP.
  • Drive, Boost and PEQ provide enough possibilities to sculpt the tone of my various guitars, without needing to switch presets.
  • I forgot to demo the Wah pedal.
  • I show in the demo how to change the duty of the exp.pedal. In fact, it can perform like 4 separate pedals.
  • Scenes can be named on the RJM if desired.
  • The layout of pages on the RJM can vary per preset. I like consistency, so I stick to the same layout, except for the page for the Looper preset which displays all Looper controls.
  • When using the (bank) Up and Down buttons, the names of the presets in that bank are displayed (blinking until selected).
More notes:

• You hear the sound coming from my CLRs.
  • The RJM connects through a 7-pin MIDI cable, running on phantom power.
  • The expression pedal is a Mission "RJM" pedal. It has a LED, powered by the RJM, and a spring.
  • The preset takes up around 84% CPU (stereo UltraRes cab, Spring reverb, USB connected).
  • This video is not about sound quality. I used the iPad's internal mic, so it's mono, and you'll probably hear some annoying automatic gain leveling and clipping.

UPDATED VIDEO:

Last edited:
$1899... Seems completely worth it though.

The ones who want to complain about the cost of an MFC-101 should simply look here and then never speak of it again.

Suffice it to say, this now high up on my list.

Thanks Yek! There is a lot of great ideas and information in this video! Out of curiousity, How much memory did you use on this preset?

Thanks Yek! There is a lot of great ideas and information in this video! Out of curiousity, How much memory did you use on this preset?

On the video, he was right at 84% when he showed a screenshot of Axe Edit. That's incredible when you think of all he's got going on in that preset.

Gr8 vid & very impressive programming of functions... especially like those a/b states (fast/slow) on the modulation pedals... Not sure how much of this is possible on my MFC-101, would also appreciate being able to download & examine this preset if at all possible...

Around 84%, with USB. Including a stereo UR Cab block. Using Spring Reverb to save CPU.

If there was more room, I'd probably use it for a 2nd Drive block. Or Multi Delay. Or Pitch.

Will post the preset (XL) tomorrow.

Last edited:
Gr8 vid & very impressive programming of functions... especially like those a/b states (fast/slow) on the modulation pedals... Not sure how much of this is possible on my MFC-101, would also appreciate being able to download & examine this preset if at all possible...

Switching Rotary between fast and slow: a matter of using the same settings in X and Y, except rate/speed, and assigning the CC for Rotary XY to a switch.

This is not possible with Tremolo because there's no CC for Trem XY. Solution: assign an external controller to Trem rate/speed with fixed Min/Max values.

Great demo. I wish I had half this flexibility in the '90's when I gigged a lot. When you think about it not terribly expensive when a boutique tube amp can cost $4K and give you only two sounds.....clean and dirty.

I do wish though the Mastermind GT/22's where a bit cheaper maybe say $1,299 vs $1,899. I think they would kill at that price, yet still not really step on the MFC101 toes at $750.

Back
Top Bottom