[Video] Stand-In Switches explained

Firmware 5.07 for the Axe-Fx III and Firmware 1.06 for the FC Controllers introduced Stand-In Switches. This feature allows External Switches to perform any function that a built-in switch can, which expands the usability of the FC controllers. A major quality of these Stand-In Switches is that the function does not change when Layouts are changed, so we now have "permanent" switches available for Tap/Tuner, or a "Panic Button" that always goes to a specific preset, and so on.

In this video, I explain the basics of Stand-In Switches, how to assign them, several use cases, and strategies for organizing their assignments in various places. I also show the basics of adding switches to the FC controller.

edit - i re-edited the video and removed the last section regarding Behavior and Polarity. some of the information was wrong, and i just couldn't explain it as briefly as i wanted. the release notes explain it well enough i feel.

Thank you Chris - this was very helpful to me.

Great video! Do you need the foot controller to accomplish this or is there a TS/TRS connection on the Axe-lll that you can use without a FC6/12?

Thank you Chris, this is a very good tutorial. I now understand the stand in switches that I did not know existed. Just got my FC12 the other day.

I have 6 switches and will use 4 on the FC12. Does the FC12 use of switches negate the use of the back panel switches on the AF3?

Last edited:
Great feature, and great video.

I don't yet have my FM3 or FC-12, but thinking ahead, the Boss switches in the video are a bit large; what switches are others using/recomminding for this purpose?

I just have mine "wired" up by twisting a loop of wire through the solder terminal on my switches as the moment (playing with some different layout designs) and it still works.... Its not a joint that is going to carry audio etc, so basically even a cold solder joint would probably work, not tricky at all really. Plus you can get momentary switches for like $2.99 or less, and enclosed TRS stereo jacks for like $1.00 or less.... add in a few feet of wire and an enclosure and you can have a 4 switch box for well under $20

I have run into an issue with assignment using the 2 button FS-6 from Boss. I have the first assignment in button 9 (axe-edit) as the tempo and Tuner(hold). I have a TRS cable going into the both slot of the FS-6. No matter what I do, the B button is always the active button for those selections FC1FS1. I have the FC1FS1 set to master button 9 and the utility tun/tmp pressing button B gets me the tempo, holding B gets me the tuner. Not sure how to make button B the first button as expected.

Back
Top Bottom