[Video] Stand-In Switches explained

I know you showed those slots could be used for stand in switches but I don't remember any mention that those other 4 slots could not be used for additional layouts. I could not find anywhere on the product info page that mentions how many layouts are available either. No biggie. I get it!
ahh i see. just for completeness, the manual, quick-start, and Axe-Edit tells and shows the available layouts being 8. the Master Layout Menu is technically a 9th Layout that can be adjusted if desired, and that's where we have the 4 extra switch slots.

i would agree that the general FC web page is not the place to get into such specifics.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 12.08.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 12.09.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 12.09.13 PM.png

Last edited:
ahh i see. just for completeness, the manual, quick-start, and Axe-Edit tells and shows the available layouts being 8. the Master Layout Menu is technically a 9th Layout that can be adjusted if desired, and that's where we have the 4 extra switch slots.

i would agree that the general FC web page is not the place to get into such specifics.

View attachment 54759

View attachment 54758

View attachment 54760
Since layouts are part of the selling point of the FC's maybe they should mention how many layouts are available. Also, the Wiki says this:

"The FC series are like 12 foot controllers in one. The FC foot controllers feature 12 "layouts". Each layout has a unique, user-assignable set of switch functions. For example Layout 1 could have five preset switches, five scene switches and two switches assigned to bank up/down. Press and hold the bottom right switch and the then tap the switch above it and you enter Layout Select mode. Then tap a switch to select a new Layout. This new layout could have six channel switches and six bypass switches. Etc."

Since layouts are part of the selling point of the FC's maybe they should mention how many layouts are available.
i disagree that number of Layouts is a selling point. seems like a detail that just adds more words to the page. quick start and manual have the specifics like usual, as i showed above.

that Wiki information is old and incorrect, unfortunately.

Also, the Wiki says this:

"The FC series are like 12 foot controllers in one. The FC foot controllers feature 12 "layouts".
That was changed to 8 layouts while the FCs were still in beta. Turns out it works out better that way.

Thanks Chris great video. I dusted off my old Rapco AB-100 A/B switch and followed your instructions with a standard y cable to my Fc-12 switch 1&2. I configured the master layout to have increment/decrement scenes switches for postions 11,12. I also made sure other previous configurations were set to none. If I pull up the master layout and hit switch 11 or 12 the scenes increment or decrement as expected. When I use the Rapco I have to hit the switch twice to increment or decrement. I tried all different combinations for switch polarity follow hardware or virtual which did not make a difference.

Previously I have been using the Rapco with a standard cable to increment
scenes without a double tap of the switch. Any ideas on getting rid the double tap with my current setup?

Attachments

• IMG_2807.JPG
    IMG_2807.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 24
i disagree that number of Layouts is a selling point. seems like a detail that just adds more words to the page. quick start and manual have the specifics like usual, as i showed above.

that Wiki information is old and incorrect, unfortunately.
An "essential concept" of the FC is not a selling point? I would think especially on the FC6's that it's a major selling point how many layouts are available IMHO. Again, no biggie. I get what's going on. Just trying to get clear, accurate info so I can decide whether or not I want to buy one.

Thanks Chris great video. I dusted off my old Rapco AB-100 A/B switch and followed your instructions with a standard y cable to my Fc-12 switch 1&2. I configured the master layout to have increment/decrement scenes switches for postions 11,12. I also made sure other previous configurations were set to none. If I pull up the master layout and hit switch 11 or 12 the scenes increment or decrement as expected. When I use the Rapco I have to hit the switch twice to increment or decrement. I tried all different combinations for switch polarity follow hardware or virtual which did not make a difference.

scenes without a double tap of the switch. Any ideas on getting rid the double tap with my current setup?
sounds like you have Latching switches. i mention this near the end of the video, though i didn't specifically talk about having to press the switch twice.

set the Switch Behavior to "Virtual Toggle" and see if it helps out.

An "essential concept" of the FC is not a selling point?
yeah, i mean i know what you're saying too. but i don't think someone would or wouldn't buy the FC based on "8 available layouts." and if that info did sway their judgment, i don't think it's a good indicator of what the FC can actually do. people freaked out about "only 6 switches" before they started shipping, and now everyone wants an FC6 because of how much it can do in such a small unit compared to the larger FC12.

so *shrug*. but yeah, i understand.

yeah, i mean i know what you're saying too. but i don't think someone would or wouldn't buy the FC based on "8 available layouts." and if that info did sway their judgment, i don't think it's a good indicator of what the FC can actually do. people freaked out about "only 6 switches" before they started shipping, and now everyone wants an FC6 because of how much it can do in such a small unit compared to the larger FC12.

so *shrug*. but yeah, i understand.
Maybe not solely based on the number of layouts but a lot of what the FC6 can do is thanks to the number of layouts available. Anyway, as you said, the addition of the stand in switches is a great addition & 1 more thing swaying me to buy an FC!

Thanks for the great video Chris! You answered all of the questions I had, along with giving information about equipment that I have never used and answering the questions that came to mind as I watched. It seems like a very well thought out idea and you presented the information in a way that was easy for me to understand. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

sounds like you have Latching switches. i mention this near the end of the video, though i didn't specifically talk about having to press the switch twice.

set the Switch Behavior to "Virtual Toggle" and see if it helps out.

From Cliff's Release Note:

Note that if you accidentally apply the Virtual Toggle setting to a physical latching switch, you'll need to tap the switch twice for it to toggle.

If I set the switch to Virtual Toggle then I need to tap the switch 4 times. Seems strange. I will try another y insert cable.

That's an A/B switch. It's intended to let you switch between two guitars or two amps. It's not really set up for turning things on and off.

Note that if you accidentally apply the Virtual Toggle setting to a physical latching switch, you'll need to tap the switch twice for it to toggle.

If I set the switch to Virtual Toggle then I need to tap the switch 4 times. Seems strange. I will try another y insert cable.
hmm, well i don't have any latching switches so i don't know specifically.

I am getting the same behavior. Tried different cables too. I think I have tried every combination of settings and it isn't working as it should. Too many taps.

Back
Top Bottom