Video: Play-through of original tune + Axe-Edit Scenes

Good question!

The short answer is no: There will always be some drop-out when either of the Amp blocks does an X/Y switch.

However, you can do a trick similar to what I do in my patch from the video. Set up Amp 1 as your Crunch and leave it like that. Amp 2 could X/Y switch between Clean/Hi-Gain.

Amp 1 is sort of "always on". I ALSO put a volume block in front of the amps that un-bypasses on some scenes to lower the input level to the amp and takes it from crunch to a slightly over-driven clean sound. So when you're in the "clean" scene most of your signal is coming from Amp 2 and Amp 1 just provides tiny bit of grit in the background.

Amp 2 you would use your X clean setting for all "clean" scenes and Y heavy setting for crunch and hi-gain scenes.

Because Amp 1 is always on, you'll never get a total drop-out when you swap scenes. There is obviously a reduction in volume because Amp 2 has a short drop-out for the X/Y swap but I found that it's not perceptible. See if you can hear any drop out in my video....I can't really.

The only time this method wouldn't work I guess would be if you need an absolutely pure and pristine clean tone. But I always like to hear at least a slight bit of breakup so it works for me.

Excellent! I do need a pristine clean for about 3/4 of a set. Interesting... I'll have to mess around with x/y and volume/pan blocks and see what I can come up with. Some dropout is acceptable. I'm using 3 seperate patches right now and with a full band (2 guitars, bass, drums) it's hardly noticeable. My main goal is to reduce it to one patch and it sounds like I can do that. Thanks!

Good question!

The short answer is no: There will always be some drop-out when either of the Amp blocks does an X/Y switch.

However, you can do a trick similar to what I do in my patch from the video. Set up Amp 1 as your Crunch and leave it like that. Amp 2 could X/Y switch between Clean/Hi-Gain.

Amp 1 is sort of "always on". I ALSO put a volume block in front of the amps that un-bypasses on some scenes to lower the input level to the amp and takes it from crunch to a slightly over-driven clean sound. So when you're in the "clean" scene most of your signal is coming from Amp 2 and Amp 1 just provides tiny bit of grit in the background.

Amp 2 you would use your X clean setting for all "clean" scenes and Y heavy setting for crunch and hi-gain scenes.

Because Amp 1 is always on, you'll never get a total drop-out when you swap scenes. There is obviously a reduction in volume because Amp 2 has a short drop-out for the X/Y swap but I found that it's not perceptible. See if you can hear any drop out in my video....I can't really.

The only time this method wouldn't work I guess would be if you need an absolutely pure and pristine clean tone. But I always like to hear at least a slight bit of breakup so it works for me.

This is great advice. Thanks Adam!

Exceptional talent Adam! Thanks for putting that together!

I'm using Reaper as well. Can I use Reaper to change scenes if I'm not using my Axe-II as my soundcard? I'm going from my Axe-II to my DAW via USB and then out via a Focusrite interface.

Exceptional talent Adam! Thanks for putting that together!

I'm using Reaper as well. Can I use Reaper to change scenes if I'm not using my Axe-II as my soundcard? I'm going from my Axe-II to my DAW via USB and then out via a Focusrite interface.

Thanks very much and you're welcome!

Yes, you can definitely use Reaper to change scenes if not using Axe-FX II as your interface. As long as the USB is connected (and drivers are installed of course) it will show up as a MIDI device in Reaper. Then you can create a track and send MIDI CC messages to it like I show in the video.

This is actually how I run it. I use my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 as my interface when in Reaper (Axe-FX II SPDIF goes into my Focusrite). Axe-FX II shows up in Reaper as a MIDI device.

I actually wrote this tune before Scenes existed so originally I had to program a ton of different CC messages for each effect bypass. Then when scenes came out it made life much easier....

Back
Top Bottom