VIDEO: HAAS Delay and how to use it

Danny, this was an awesome video. I used to just use a single delay block with 30ms in an attempt to recreate this effect, but your technique blew that out of the water! Made everything sound huge. Then I ended up going further down the rabbit hole and throwing an Enhancer block at the end of my chain and trying things out with one on and the other one off. After noodling around for and hour I came to the conclusion that the two are very close. Then I fell asleep with my guitar on my lap......getting old sucks :D

I might keep both in my main patch and leave one on for cleans and the other on for my dirty and see if I can pick a winner. Thanks again for this video.

Yeah they are close for sure. The enhancer is definitely the better choice in my opinion because you don't have that latency I spoke of with the left side hitting your ears sooner giving the effect that it's louder. The enhancer has that worked out perfectly. Funny story that I bet Cliff would maybe admit to....if I'm right that is...

The Eventide has this sound in it that just made everything sound better. Guys bought them just for this sound without ever using it to actually harmonize anything. The enhancer we have....is either a great clone of that, or Cliff's personal take on whatever the heck the Eventide does. I think it was like sound 55 or something....I sold mine years ago. But that enhancer is definitely doing that "thing" the Eventide did.

The only good thing about the delay trick is if you want the right side to be a little looser. Be careful if you use both at once. You'll definitely pick up phasing or some weird artifacts....even if it sounds great through headphones. :)

Hey guys, just curious....someone posted a cool vid of Nuno playing that flight of the wounded bumblebee thing. Interested in finding out how he does that? I'll give you a hint if you don't know.....it's a delay trick and I can share it if any of you are interested. Speaking of cool delay stuff, the last time I looked through the preset share page, I didn't see any cool Eddie VH "Cathedral" patches. Are you guys into that sort of thing? I play in a VH tribute band and have some pretty cool VH stuff I can share with you. I may even share a few patches if you keep on being nice to me....even if it's killing you. LOL! ;)

Hey Danny, thanks for sharing your experience with us, I find it really fascinating as someone who has never really been in a studio. I love to see how you more experienced guys go about programming your tones even if it's something I may never use. Oh and your playing is mighty good too!

Hey guys, just curious....someone posted a cool vid of Nuno playing that flight of the wounded bumblebee thing. Interested in finding out how he does that? I'll give you a hint if you don't know.....it's a delay trick and I can share it if any of you are interested. Speaking of cool delay stuff, the last time I looked through the preset share page, I didn't see any cool Eddie VH "Cathedral" patches. Are you guys into that sort of thing? I play in a VH tribute band and have some pretty cool VH stuff I can share with you. I may even share a few patches if you keep on being nice to me....even if it's killing you. LOL! ;)
Hi Danny I'd be interested in the Nuno Delay trick. Thanks for your insight!

You're welcome guys!

@Coldsummer I'll see if I can get a vid together showing you some of the things I do around here. One of the guys was asking in another thread about post processing etc, so maybe I'll kill a few birds with one stone.

@REDD Hahaha! I'll get the Nuno one together with a little explanation. It's actually easy but a bit challenging because it's a feel thing. I'll explain when I get to it.

@elchampion As soon as I get a minute, I'll work on it.

In the meantime, here's a pretty close Cathedral patch which is tone matched. Depending on your ability to volume swell and how hard you swell will determine the amount of gain you use in this patch. If you find it distorting, back the gain down. If your swells are not coming out quite right, increase the gain and it should be fine. Cranking your volume wide open on this sound is not advisable as it sounds like a dong sandwich with extra veins invading your room! :p

Oh man, it won't let me upload the file for some reason? It says I'm able to upload .sys files, yet it's giving me an error?! Any suggestions?

I play in a VH tribute band and have some pretty cool VH stuff I can share with you. I may even share a few patches if you keep on being nice to me....even if it's killing you. LOL! ;)
Consider me a member of the 'be nice to Danny club'. I'm so about VH era tones/sounds that I refuse to eat Brown M&Ms.

Very Cool - Thank you - I really think, you get that Larger than life sound - Combined with your awesome pinch harmonics, I instantly think Zakk Wylde with Ozzy :)

I use dual delays having 37ms and 57ms as the general sweet spot, but there're variables in your rig that will cause results to vary.

You can play with these values in small increments and have a dramatic effect on your eq from comb filtering:

w-w-w-recordinginstitute.com/da154/ARP/chap3Sig/0306delmid.html

Thanks Mr. Somebody! ;) That was what it was. I made another little video for you guys...about 5 minutes long showing you a few things. So it's rendering now. I'll post it up to Youtube and will add the preset in with my post when it's all done. :)

The enhancer is definitely the better choice in my opinion because you don't have that latency I spoke of with the left side hitting your ears sooner giving the effect that it's louder. The enhancer has that worked out perfectly. Funny story that I bet Cliff would maybe admit to....if I'm right that is...

Enhancer block's classic mode (assuming you're referring to this, as in the video) is actually just a simple delay on the left channel. Width control = 0 to 20 ms delay. This will cause the same shift as using a delay block for the same L/R time offset.

The Chorus block with zero DEPTH also gives some nice options in this capacity. The DELAY time and WIDTH controls let you offset left and right times. It's a nice option to keep on the "Y" side while "X" is something like your classic Dimension or CE chorus.

Nice video! One thing to note is that applying this trick causes issues when you collapse to mono (you will lose level).

The "modern" mode of the Enhancer block works around this.
Would the enhancer even work in mono?

I never touch the enhancer block for recording. If I want my guitars wider, it's all about balancing the EQ. I'll remove some stale midrange and opt for recording a guitar sound that is more shimmering. Widener tools just reduce your mono unity and increase phase cancellations (regardless if you use the modern mode in the enhancer block).

Back
Top Bottom